Black Friday 6.8W XBolt Mountain Pro LR

Metalhead

So a few weeks ago I purchased some HHT bullets in a variety of calibers and weights. My intention is to try to load some older guns and see if they will work as a more ethical option. But I was also looking for an excuse to buy a new 2.0 version of my old .270 WSM but hadn't been able to find a "looker" So while I was waiting for the bullets to arrive I made the error of buying a new tool. I got a bore scope to see if my old tack driver was burnt out. Bore scope = rabbit hole. She was a dirty girl. Eventually I found a product that can truly clean a bore, though nobody in Canada seem to know about it or how to get it. I have some now and will swear by the stuff.
Sorry I'm getting to my point.
So while I'm searching for cleaning products so I can determine if the old .270 WSM XBolt stainless LR is even a decent gun anymore, I run across a Black Friday deal that I couldn't pass up. A 7.5" twist, 26" stainless barrel, muzzle break, cerakote finish XBolt Mountain Pro LR for almost a grand Cdn. under MSRP. It's kinda like my old girl had some cosmetic surgery and put on some nice clothes and make up but underneath it's the same. I haven't shot her yet, she needs a hair do, I mean scope. Any suggestions? The old girl has a VX5 HD 3-18 x 44.
I feel like I'm cheating.
Cheers

Congratulations on the new rifle 😎👍

6.8 Western = 270WSM - 0.080” case length.

Less powder in the 6.8, but faster twist barrels.

I’ve always wondered if a 6.8 could have a WSM reamer ran into it….instant fast twist WSM!

Or… just run the 122gr HHT in the WSM and live happily ever after with your 1:10” twist WSM!

A new bbl for the wsm would’ve been the way to go.

Has the western ammo and reloading stuff become available? A while back when I looked into it it was like the industry was waiting to see if they’d catch on. Wasn’t much out there.

I’d also look at turning it into a wsm. As choprzrul said above. Would save money and time gathering western reloading components. Plus you won’t be going backwards in the case capacity/velocity department. 🤷🏼‍♂️

either move the VX5 over to the new and worry about the old rifle later, or, preferably... just buy another one new for the 6.8. Im running VX6 3-18s on my 2 bolt rifles and love them, one of my rifles is an xbolt.
That's what I was thinking while purchasing the new gun so I purchased a cheaper model Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40 but now I'm starting to really want something more powerful for the new mistress. ? VX6-HD ? but wow $$$ and availability. I haven't started playing the shell game with the scopes yet but I'm getting pretty eager.

A new bbl for the wsm would’ve been the way to go.

Has the western ammo and reloading stuff become available? A while back when I looked into it it was like the industry was waiting to see if they’d catch on. Wasn’t much out there.

I’d also look at turning it into a wsm. As choprzrul said above. Would save money and time gathering western reloading components. Plus you won’t be going backwards in the case capacity/velocity department. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I bought Redding dies with the gun. If they didn't have them I may not have made the purchase. I can't find any brass for the mistress so I was forced to purchase some factory ammo. I will use them for the initial site and break in, then anneal the cases and load some HHT's for her.

Congratulations on the new rifle 😎👍

6.8 Western = 270WSM - 0.080” case length.

Less powder in the 6.8, but faster twist barrels.

I’ve always wondered if a 6.8 could have a WSM reamer ran into it….instant fast twist WSM!

Or… just run the 122gr HHT in the WSM and live happily ever after with your 1:10” twist WSM!
Ron Spomer mentions that in theory you could load a 6.8 cartridge into a .270 WSM but not the other way. The 6.8 bullet would push into the lands and the cartridge case wouldn't reach the shoulder but in theory it would fire. I suspect it would at minimum have instant case head separation. I'm going to be very careful with my cartridges.

That's what I was thinking while purchasing the new gun so I purchased a cheaper model Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40 but now I'm starting to really want something more powerful for the new mistress. ? VX6-HD ? but wow $$$ and availability. I haven't started playing the shell game with the scopes yet but I'm getting pretty eager.
The VX6s are pretty spendy but im a Leupold fan and think the VX5s would be fine too. Yours is a 3-18... plenty of zoom and great FOV at low power.

Back