Blacktail patterns, strategy and chat

I miss blacktail hunting in southern Oregon. I usually hunted public land or timber company land. After a few years, I found a spot that didn't have a ton of pressure and I kept my mouth shut! I'm not sure how they got there, but there was about 80 acres of Oak trees mixed with the pines and the blacktails loved those acorns.

Oh yes they do! and a buck that has hooked his horns clean on oak's are so cool looking....yes i said hooked never seen an elk or deer rub a tree.

Yup oaks. Both the trees and the brush. Feed, bedding, scrapes and licking branches, and open country to stare at when the search for does is on.
They are not always in it but close to it.

Look for transition zones between different types of vegetation (or terrain if that applies in the dense timber jungle where you are).

Not just the acorns they eat but the leaves and fresh tips of the regenerative grown after fires. They get faaaaat on it.
IMG_2849.jpegIMG_2854.jpegIMG_2850.jpeg

Oh and poison oak too. They absolutely love that stuff. Seen here (green/red leaves and white balls) in the background. IMG_0029.jpeg
IMG_0175.png

Last edited:
Look for transition zones between different types of vegetation (or terrain if that applies in the dense timber jungle where you are).
its all the same terrain and jungle up here.
Post 13 pic of the area Im working... theres a deer in it about 75yds ahead, but cant be seen until it moved.

I’m hunting the high timber this year. Thick but different. The Western aspects can look like that with manzanita thrown in.

What I learned years ago hunting a very small perfect aged clear cut near buddy house is when you think there is not a deer in it there are probably 1/2 dozen or more you can’t see.. patience is the key if you see decent sign sit glass and glass some more then when shooting light has gone away they are everywhere.amazing how little cover it takes for blackie to hide for sure.

its all the same terrain and jungle up here.
Post 13 pic of the area Im working... theres a deer in it about 75yds ahead, but cant be seen until it moved.
It can’t all look exactly like that picture.
If it does then maybe try a water source.

It can’t all look exactly like that picture.
If it does then maybe try a water source.
other than clearcuts, yes, its all like that up here.
Theres a flowing creek in that draw a few feet away from me when I took the pic.

Oh and poison oak too. They absolutely love that stuff. Seen here (green/red leaves and white balls) in the background
Glad I don’t see a lot of it where I hunt . I used to get real bad now it’s just soso bad.remember dad bringing home on his cloths as a kid he was immune mom wasn’t she stopped washing his hunting cloths.

Well the 3a alarm was a bit too early for not making it to sleep til after midnight😑.

Gonna get out this evening and see what I can see.

Well the 3a alarm was a bit too early for not making it to sleep til after midnight😑.

Gonna get out this evening and see what I can see.
yeah, I never get up early to scout. But the hardest part of hunting Blacktails is getting up hours before dawn to take advantage of that first 15 minutes of legal light.

You guys are right up my alley.wish I had the drive like I used to or maybe that I could afford to drive and scout summer bucks!

You guys are right up my alley.wish I had the drive like I used to or maybe that I could afford to drive and scout summer bucks!
Because of how hard its become to get a controlled tag I've made it a project to learn to hunt the blacktails close to home.
Im still learning cause I dont get them, but this guys just 45 minutes from my driveway. The last piece of the puzzle I just need to find out where he goes once Oct hits and they go nocturnal.
1688850416113.png

Because of how hard its become to get a controlled tag I've made it a project to learn to hunt the blacktails close to home.
Im still learning cause I dont get them, but this guys just 45 minutes from my driveway. The last piece of the puzzle I just need to find out where he goes once Oct hits and they go nocturnal.
View attachment 2004
I’m not sure you will ever figure that out. I don’t think they go far there just to dam smart they will stay in there bed until you step on them.just gotta find where they bed and wait them out.so years ago my son shot a collared deer in Carlton area,Odfw came to get collar the guy said he had tracked him for 4 or 5 years and had never seen him.

Back