Blacktail patterns, strategy and chat

We passed on a handful of small forkedhorns this weekend. One average size that we sat on for most of the day without seeing again.
Up here Id be lucky to see the spikes I saw this weekend, come deer season they will go nocturnal or be shot opening day. This year with the nice elk tag I drew cutting into the last week of deer season I will take the first buck I see except maybe a button buck or yearling buck.
Now that fall hunting is underway it would be fun to start a general hunt post where everyone can add their weekend adventures.

I’ll leave this tidbit here for you buck hunters.

All three bucks we have killed so far this season have been between 11a-2p.

I’ll leave this tidbit here for you buck hunters.

All three bucks we have killed so far this season have been between 11a-2p.
Do the blacktail where you are go nocturnal?
Thats one primary issue up here.

I hunt my second tag 100 miles north of my first. 1st tag 2000ft and 2nd 4000ft elevation (averages). I’ve seen bucks midday at each. Some middays are slow, some days you see em all day long.
When I started hunting all day, I started killing em midday. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ok you can not compare the two!! They are all nocturnal they will move at 1 am maybe 11 pm and maybe get out of bed in front of you at 1 pm! they are deer they do what they want depending on moons weather and so on!! You can kill a buck anytime of day just be in the right spot! I have shot bucks in the jungle between 7 am to 6 pm..
All I’m saying is Hunt hard as much as you can in good areas and you will be successful!! The only thing I can add is they are easier to kill when they are HORNY 🤣🤣. And opening weekend ✌️

Here, after the first week of gun season, you rarely see a buck other than early or late in the day. I have better luck in the evening, right before dark.
Other than farm fields or power lines, there's almost no open ground for spotting like you do out west.

What’s your definition of nocturnal?

I personally am not a believer in that theory, just curious to hear what you guys think.
I agree what’s that mean? They eat sleep all different times of day!! Right place right time usually catch them when more vulnerable early morning late evening or Horny time🤣

Here, after the first week of gun season, you rarely see a buck other than early or late in the day. I have better luck in the evening, right before dark.
Other than farm fields or power lines, there's almost no open ground for spotting like you do out west.
Ya it can be the same around here as well. Yea we do get alot of area to look at clear cuts, reprod , thick timber slow walking and glassing and brush hunting!! We are somewhat fortunate to have have as much state public land to hunt then you guys out east of us.
Sorry if I’m rambling a few whiskey and football games and tired feet🤣🤣

What’s your definition of nocturnal?

I personally am not a believer in that theory, just curious to hear what you guys think.
basically that they only move at night. Not a hard fast rule, but a general one.

I grew up hunting Mulies on the east side and taken them any time of day. When Ive hunted Blacktails on the westside* its rare to see them in the day during hunting season. Most I see are on the fringes of sunrise/sunset.

Ive been using trailcams to study them for several years now and noticed a trend, id get pics of bucks any time of day all year except during Oct. The only cam pics Id get would be at night. This was the case in more than one location Ive placed trailcams.

Note: *in the North Coast region. Ive had slightly different experiences hunting blacktail in southern Oregon on private land. I think the north coast region is a whole different animal.

basically that they only move at night. Not a hard fast rule, but a general one.

I grew up hunting Mulies on the east side and taken them any time of day. When Ive hunted Blacktails on the westside* its rare to see them in the day during hunting season. Most I see are on the fringes of sunrise/sunset.

Ive been using trailcams to study them for several years now and noticed a trend, id get pics of bucks any time of day all year except during Oct. The only cam pics Id get would be at night. This was the case in more than one location Ive placed trailcams.

Note: *in the North Coast region. Ive had slightly different experiences hunting blacktail in southern Oregon on private land. I think the north coast region is a whole different animal.
Hopefully you can get them figured out soon. They are tasty critters.

Was sharing my weekend in the Daily Hunt thread and thought this might be a strategy learning opportunity.
A quick recap, more than once I was busted by deer from afar trying to glass them. Ranges were around 1-200yds open clearcut near the edges of timber. I would approach the cuts view slowly while glassing slowing moving into more view to glass more areas. Any number of minutes would go by glassing when the deer would make their break for it and bolt to the timberline. Not enough time to ID or ethical or practical to take such a running shot, they move fast. I need to glass them before they see me, in the rain I wanted to set up under a small sil-tarp but that would just stand out so we tried hiding more and just got soaked. Im thinking of trying to find a farther out vantage point to glass from with the tarp then find a way to stalk withing rifle range once I spot them. Not certain how far is still too close.

What do blacktail hunters here use for strategies when glassing clearcuts?

1697400545680.jpeg

Was sharing my weekend in the Daily Hunt thread and thought this might be a strategy learning opportunity.
A quick recap, more than once I was busted by deer from afar trying to glass them. Ranges were around 1-200yds open clearcut near the edges of timber. I would approach the cuts view slowly while glassing slowing moving into more view to glass more areas. Any number of minutes would go by glassing when the deer would make their break for it and bolt to the timberline. Not enough time to ID or ethical or practical to take such a running shot, they move fast. I need to glass them before they see me, in the rain I wanted to set up under a small sil-tarp but that would just stand out so we tried hiding more and just got soaked. Im thinking of trying to find a farther out vantage point to glass from with the tarp then find a way to stalk withing rifle range once I spot them. Not certain how far is still too close.

What do blacktail hunters here use for strategies when glassing clearcuts?

View attachment 3463
My experience is more limited than yours but every year we glass clearcuts, from the logging road we're walking, along the edge. I envy the cuts like your photo, because the bucks I've experienced were all a few hundred yards away, down in draws. Ugh. Thermals and sound were on our side, in weather like yours. The fog once closed like a curtain on one nice buck within 100 yds, and once we passed on one in such a deep draw we figured it'd be faster to bring the Traeger to it than to pack it out. So this year, I'm doing the "still hunting" thing in the woods. We'll see.

Koda I think you have answered your own ?. You need to see them before they see you, I have often wondered how many bucks have crawled out under cover and I never saw them 🤷‍♂️I’m guessing a lot!! Not all clear cuts are created equal, sometimes there is no easy way to get into them without them seeing you. All I can say is find ones that have a lot of activity then figure out ways to get in there unnoticed even if it means in the dark. Years ago I had access to probably the best deer clearcut with small reprod I have ever seen and it was small but loaded with deer! We would sneak in thru reprod to a good vantage point just before daylight sit and start glassing it was amazing how many deer were in it. One morning we killed 2-Nice 4 point bucks 300 yards apart in less than 5 minutes of each other🤣🤣 of course end of season during RUT! Almost did it again the next season except my dad missed his. All I’m saying figure out how to sneak in or find good vantage point from a distance or maybe a tree climbing stand on edge of clear cut and be in there and up a tree before daylight or just before dark! 🍻✌️

Back