Bought my first rifle last month

Handgun400

Hammer Time Executive member
To be clear it was my first rifle in a long while. A brand new Henry X 45/70 followed me home, even had the wife urging me to pull the trigger, figuratively then literary.

I put a tactical forend, peep sight, muzzle brake and hammer spur on it, all from Ranger Point Precision. And boy is it fun to shoot!

I’m a reloader but picked up a couple boxes of Winchester silver box while waiting on dies and some WFN-GC cast bullets. The factory 300s are just anemic.

Still working on loads and I can tell you that a 400gr cast bullet at 2100fps from this rifle is brutal on both ends. A powder change dropped velocity to a manageable 1600fps. Now I need practice with the peeps.

That's a very Stout 400 grain load for a leever gun, I bet it does kick like a mule.

Well send us a picture of this bullet launcher man cut the suspense. Got to love the 45-70. I think that's the driving point if you ask me. Just got to have one, nice gun handgun 400👍👍 I applied your choice of caliber. yes sir!!!

Nice rifle. I am found of the lever guns. Thinking of getting a 45-70 in a single shot for the primitive season.
I’m a die-hard TC single shot guy but they’re owned by Smith & Wesson now and are out of production. Henry and CVA are making very accurate and very affordable rifles. I’ve got friends with CVA rifles and handguns and they’re accuracy is exceptional.

To be clear it was my first rifle in a long while. A brand new Henry X 45/70 followed me home, even had the wife urging me to pull the trigger, figuratively then literary.

I put a tactical forend, peep sight, muzzle brake and hammer spur on it, all from Ranger Point Precision. And boy is it fun to shoot!

I’m a reloader but picked up a couple boxes of Winchester silver box while waiting on dies and some WFN-GC cast bullets. The factory 300s are just anemic.

Still working on loads and I can tell you that a 400gr cast bullet at 2100fps from this rifle is brutal on both ends. A powder change dropped velocity to a manageable 1600fps. Now I need practice with the peeps.

Oh man, you just made me want to spend money! I got a .45 LC Model X that I bought back in April. I put a 1x Spitfire Prism scope on it, which sits annoyingly high, even low mounted. Looks like I'll be getting that RPP buttstock with the riser.

- Kurtis

Looks pretty cool! Curious how you like the peep? I was trying to stay "traditional" with a Henry Big Boy a while back. Shot 4-6" groups at 100yds during the day, but had to ditch it due to poor low light performance/visibility. Mounted a Leupy Vx-3i 2.5-8x36 and never looked back.
I have neglected the rifle for a while. After first shooting it I knew I had some work to do getting used to the peep. Now it’s hotter than a redhead on a depot stove and it’ll have to wait until the temps drop back into the 90s.

I had a Burris FF3 arrive last night, just in case.

Nice - Very Nice! I couldn't resist when the new Ruger-Marlin came out. I have one and really enjoy it. I put a muzzle brake on too. The Hammer 273 grain takes the kick out and gives good velocity! It is hard to beat a nice 45/70.

Last edited:
Nice - Very Nice! I couldn't resist when the new Ruger-Marlin came out. I have one and really enjoy it. I put a muzzle brake on too. The Hammer 273 grain takes the kick out and gives good velocity! It is hard to be a nice 45/70.
I’ve looked at a number of different bullets for this but it comes back to a .458 hole is going to incapacitate from a .32 cent hard cast or $2 solid copper. Just line it up through the vitals.

I’ve looked at a number of different bullets for this but it comes back to a .458 hole is going to incapacitate from a .32 cent hard cast or $2 solid copper. Just line it up through the vitals.
Practice with cast - Hunt with Hammer. I roll my own cast bullets at about 2 cents each. You can't beat the accuracy of a Hammer 458 grain bullet.

And with hammers you're hitting them with twice the velocity and most the time you walk up and pick them up with a hard cast bullet you're dragging them for a hundred yards.

Had to edit it just a little bit.

twice the Velocity was just a little bit of an exaggeration, but you get my drift.

Last edited:
Back