Bullet stuck in barrel

Mattg

Hello everyone, I have a problem maybe someone here has an answer to. I just made a batch of 30-06 using the 137 grain hammer hunter. After I made a few I wanted to cycle them through my rifle (Winchester model 70) to make sure they fed okay. When trying to eject the first round, the bolt felt stuck and when I finally got it to move, the bullet separated from the case and stuck in the barrel ejecting just the brass. Has anyone else had this problem? I can’t figure out what I did wrong

Your bullet is seated too far out for your rifle. How did you come to 3.310?

Use a overall length gauge to find your lands and back off a ways some guns like a bit of jump while others not some much but you're definitely seated too far out.
I based the 3.310 off of the hammer hunter load data page

This is a standard guidance/warning for all loads posted on the internet anywhere. Every reloader must determine the measurements that properly fit their rifle and work up loads safely accordingly in concert to their own rifle. Rifle manufacturers can have different action maximum magazine COAL for loaded ammo which is why you must measure your own rifle to set the maximum COAL and CBTO measurements for each bullet you choose you shoot. This is not a criticism but a heads up.

"The COAL and CBTO measurements are unique to this rifle which can affect pressure. This load was deemed safe in my rifle, use standard safe reloading practices to work up a safe load in your rifle."

If you don’t have measuring tool. Take the same case that you used that the jammed bullet and seat a new bullet .002 deeper (3.308”).

Slowly close bolt. If you find any resistance. Keep seating .002” deeper until you find a lot of resistance but are able to lower bolt. It should feel stiff lifting bolt after you were able to completely lower it. That measurement is your jam.

Now seat your bullet .030-.010 deeper. Hammers are typically not jump sensitive.

Hope that’s helpful.

going out on a limb here....
Whats interesting about this situation is saami spec for coal for 30-06 is 3.34-2.94"... thats a .400" range, pretty large. Supposedly anything loaded to saami spec should fit a saami spec chamber. While saami doesnt account for individual bullet ogive geometry (which is why handloaders physically check their coal) 137g is pretty light for 30 cal I dont suspect at all that that bullet would have a unique enough profile to jam the lands its a pretty short bullet.
Is it possible the OPs gun has a short chamber?

Last edited:
A Hornady OAL gauge will certainly help you find your max but for now if you seat to the top groove you will have a COAL of about 3.260 and this should work admirably. As mentioned earlier Hammer bullets aren't particularly sensitive to jump. I do know you're likely going to be impressed with this bullet in the 30-06. You might like the 124 HH a lot as well.

JM2C

Regards

@Mattg I did the same thing while back before I knew what I don’t know. Thinking back, I was very dumb. Sigh…

I’ll 4th or 5th BFD’s gravity method suggestion.

If you don’t want to use a cleaning rod and risk damaging it, Grainger sells brass rods. (I’m sure other retailers do as well). I got a 6’ length smaller than the bore, chopped it so I would not have to use all 6’, and then gently pounded the bullet out with a mallet. It didn’t take much. It will be easier if you can place your rifle in a vice of some sort.

Good luck!

I've gone from the split case neck method to the Hornady comparator with modified cases and back to the split neck method, now I have a gravity method to try out. I'd add, at my age and weight, I'm kind of an expert on gravity. ;)

Back