Bullet stuck in barrel

@howie Haha! If I am familiar with the split case method, I am drawing a blank.
For me, the gravity method is the simplest. William of Occam would approve, and, to wit, I am collecting parts for a new chambering and I have foregone the Hornady modified case for testing COL (though I did opt for the cartridge gauge as a way to ensure brass is properly sized.

@howie Haha! If I am familiar with the split case method, I am drawing a blank.
For me, the gravity method is the simplest. William of Occam would approve, and, to wit, I am collecting parts for a new chambering and I have foregone the Hornady modified case for testing COL (though I did opt for the cartridge gauge as a way to ensure brass is properly sized.
You just split the neck of a sized case and start a bullet in the neck. Place it in the chamber and close the bolt. When the bullet touches the lands it will slip into the neck. Then just remove and measure the BTO. I usually do it 2-3 times to get an accurate measurement. Close the bolt GENTYLY so not to jam the bullet in the lands.
IMG-0414.jpg

Last edited:
You just split the neck of a sized case and start a bullet in the neck. Place it in the chamber and close the bolt. When the bullet touches the lands it will slip into the neck. Then just remove and measure the BTO. I usually do it 2-3 times to get an accurate measurement. Close the bolt GENTYLY so not to jam the bullet in the lands.
View attachment 3171
I do not recommend this method. Too many false reads with the bullet between sticking in the lands and the little tension on the brass. I went to the gravity method after chasing my tail with this split case method.

Ok, my turn to learn something new....

Whats the gravity method?

Got it, that link worked.
Very similar method to the jam method.
I use a Hornady gauge, but one time i used the jam method. I like the Hornady gauge best... i push the gauge rod very slowly and lightly till i feel it barely touch, so my measurement doent include any finger pressur jam. If i can extract the hornady gauge with the bullet im good.

Got it, that link worked.
Very similar method to the jam method.
I use a Hornady gauge, but one time i used the jam method. I like the Hornady gauge best... i push the gauge rod very slowly and lightly till i feel it barely touch, so my measurement doent include any finger pressur jam. If i can extract the hornady gauge with the bullet im good.
I edited the new post to reflect "tool-less" method. So, a guy without that Hornady tool can still get away with finding DTL. I do know some guys reporting false reads with the Hornady gauge tho. No false reads with the gravity method.

I do know some guys reporting false reads with the Hornady gauge tho. No false reads with the gravity method.
Ive often wondered if there is any practical difference between using the Hornady modified case vs. an actual fireformed case?

For me since all my jumps are far enough out and hammers arent sensitive to jump anyways, im mostly just checki g distance just to double check im not even close to jamming. (I have one load i started seating farther out to get more velocity...)

Ive often wondered if there is any practical difference between using the Hornady modified case vs. an actual fireformed case?

For me since all my jumps are far enough out and hammers arent sensitive to jump anyways, im mostly just checki g distance just to double check im not even close to jamming. (I have one load i started seating farther out to get more velocity...)
I think one would have more luck winning the lottery than sticking a Hammer bullet into the lands of any gun with them seated into first PDR groove! LOL

I think one would have more luck winning the lottery than sticking a Hammer bullet into the lands of any gun with them seated into first PDR groove! LOL
That would be true except Hammer suggests new people start out .020" off the lands. Which is actually pretty close if someone doesnt know their chambers oal.

Gday
Just done the gravity method on a new rum but I was a little concerned as the 166hh I can’t seat in the first band so I resorted to my old cigarette lighter method , blackened the pill & inserted then checked for land marks

All was good & just what I also check on a new rifle
Cheers

Gday
Just done the gravity method on a new rum but I was a little concerned as the 166hh I can’t seat in the first band so I resorted to my old cigarette lighter method , blackened the pill & inserted then checked for land marks

All was good & just what I also check on a new rifle
Cheers
This is what I do when my brass, like the 708AI, never falls free. Gravity first, lighter second! :cool:

Back