Buy Tikka Tac A1 in .260rem or rebarrell a Tikka?

CBH Australia

Hammer Time Executive member
I can currently get a Tikka Tac A1 at a good price in .260 which is the chambering I've been planning to try.

But, I have a Tikka I can rebarrell and I could assemble something to my own specs.

I feel a Tikka Tac A1 would hold its value if I had to resell but I've always figured it's probably hard to recoup money from a custom build.

Ideally I won't be trying to sell it but if my needs change I want to minimise the losses.

Any experience with the Tac A1?
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of a custom build?

I can currently get a Tikka Tac A1 at a good price in .260 which is the chambering I've been planning to try.

But, I have a Tikka I can rebarrell and I could assemble something to my own specs.

I feel a Tikka Tac A1 would hold its value if I had to resell but I've always figured it's probably hard to recoup money from a custom build.

Ideally I won't be trying to sell it but if my needs change I want to minimise the losses.

Any experience with the Tac A1?
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of a custom build
I’m guessing you’d be cheaper on a custom build since you have the action. I think the “tactical” style bolt actions have their fans, but a nice wood stocked rifle does too!😉

I’m a complete and total Tikka action fanboy, so I say do both, but I get it that’s not always an option.

I’d probably go with the rebarrel option since I’m personally getting away from the tactical guns and getting back to more traditional shaped stocks.

I’m guessing you’d be cheaper on a custom build since you have the action. I think the “tactical” style bolt actions have their fans, but a nice wood stocked rifle does too!😉
Yeah, I like traditional rifles but and I'm looking to build something that is suited to long range but not a full on Tacticool look.

The Tac A1 on special for $3200 in .260 only .

.260 and 7mm-08 seem to go on clearance at times. Maybe the Creedmoor is better and some of us are wrong?🤔, maybe not.

It's $1300 to get a new barrel fitted to a perfectly good donor rifle that would be worth $1000 complete.

The Tac A1 come with a 0 moa pic rail. The other action would at least need a pic rail anyway

@Richcotte I should buy the Tac A1 and maybe build something on the other action later😉

If I sold the existing rifle and GRS Bifrost stock the gap in the cost of the TacA1 would come out about the same as going forward on the build.

The Tac A1 uses the Tikka CTR type magazines . Good magazine s but unique to Tikka/Sako.

The Bifrost stock I have uses the standard Tikka single stack.

Being a 6.5x55 stainless donor action I could long throat the .260 to seat out Bullets

Decisions, decisions I think to much and try to weigh the pros and cons.

g’day CBH,
Just curious what you are hoping to get out of a 260 that you don’t already get from a 6.5x55?
Please don’t take this as me being snarky! I am genuinely curious! I like both cartridges but their performance is very similar and on a tikka action you only have one action length anyway.. are you looking to change twist rate or increase the head height or do you just like it?

Personally not a huge fan of tikkas and really definately not a fan of tactical rifles so I’m a pretty useless opinion for this thread 🤣 probably in all threads… but I am a fan of people being allowed to like what they like! Hope you enjoy whatever you decide on!

What will you be using the rifle for?

Cheers mate!

Also, if you are putting a quality barrel into it and you have a good gunsmith I would personally go with the custom option for sure! I like the GRS stocks, although I haven’t got any experience with the synthetic versions..

It would mostly be used at a casual club competition to shoot out to 200 yards. It's cheap local shooting and a chance to shoot regularly but I would rather be hunting.

Long range shooting is becoming popular and there are a few courses where they can teach you a bit over 2 days shooting out to 1000metres.

Long time shooter and reloader but haven't leared much about the wind and long range shooting.

I could also shoot the occasional F Class as a visitor.

Why the .260rem, because it's not a Creedmoor. I believe it can be set up with projectiles seated out and surpass all of the mystical qualities of a Creedmoor.

Once I improve my skills it might be used for long range shooting of Dingoes or foxes when I can. Maybe take a Fallow Deer from a vantage point. I'm not a "Long range hunter" and I'm not looking to take any larger animal at 700metres but I would like the ability to place my shots well enough at 700 in a pinch.

I purchased the 6.5x55 sporter to get the action and long action magazine.

I almost bought a .260 in a Varmint rifle prior to that as I had been speaking with Fordy about the .260.

My Tikka CTR in 7mm-08 was my first unusual chambering, unusual in that it's not widespread in Australia but available.
Then I got the idea to build a .289a.i. on a lightweight rifle because it's a better 7mm.

All of my rifles are set up for a type of style of shooting so the CTR had a heap of use from the car when I had bush work.

The .260 would be a long range rifle with an appropriate scope.

It's very likely whatever I do will be a Tikka but wanting to know more about the TacA1 or any other pros and cons of my dilemma.

Ask Fordy about a "Beanmore". Better than a regular .260!
I've been in touch with Fordy since my last post.

He told me about some testing on game and mentioned how the bullet passed through the "Far-Leg" funnily enough

Yes it's an improved version but needs the Custom dies and he has suggested using correctly stamped brass in all rifles to prevent confusion because I was considering running.243 brass in a .260 .
Using correctly stamped brass makes sense because I'm only human and anyone can make mistakes. While my family shoot occasionally I'm the gun nut and the reloader of the family.

I wonder how the Big Fella would feel about me building a rifle with his namesake or if I would get his endorsement.

Since we're spending everybody else's money. I would keep the 6.5x55. Buy the new one, rechamber or rebarrel it to 6.5x55 and only need one type of brass😊 take advantage of the eight percent increase in case capacity.

I have both the 260 shoots 85 Zumiez and the old man x 55 shoots 142 smks but mostly cast bullets these days.

This probably only confused things, I must apologize.

I think the big guy would be honored if you shot his name sake👍👍👍

💥🚀🔨☠️

Back