Cleaning recommendations for Hammer bullets Vs. other monolithic bullets

Evo

Hey there Hammer shooters, not sure where to post this but I'm curious what those with experience shooting these bullets recommend for a cleaning regiment? I have shot a fair amount of Badlands Bulldozers and Barnes LRX and the Barnes has a tendency to copper foul a bit more than standard cup-n-core pills. How do the Hammers compare? Do you need to do more thorough cleaning and copper removal or are the standard chemical copper removers (Patchout, Cu2+ etc.) effective? Thanks!

I put about 700 rounds through my 6.5 CM before it started gumming up (carbon and moisture). Ran a bore snake through it twice. Got back to true. Long story short. I don’t recall ever having scrubbed this rifle in the past 1000 rounds and it still holding true.

I think Hammers PDR Bands have such limited contact on barring surface issues you have with other copper monos is negated.

I put about 700 rounds through my 6.5 CM before it started gumming up (carbon and moisture). Ran a bore snake through it twice. Got back to true. Long story short. I don’t recall ever having scrubbed this rifle in the past 1000 rounds and it still holding true.

I think Hammers PDR Bands have such limited contact on barring surface issues you have with other copper monos is negated.
Creedmoors have mystical qualities.😉

Use Free All penetrating oil spray with a brush and patch routine. You’ll be getting black patches out of your barrel for a week or more. It loosens up carbon that Bore Tech won’t touch.

I shot 92 rounds through my 280 AI before I cleaned it for the first time, 50 cup and core bullets, and 42 Hammers. A bit of Hoppes #9 and got the carbon out in 6-8 patches, then ran a wet patch of Montana Xtreme copper killer. 3 more dry patches, and the tiny bit of copper was gone, as the borescope dictated as well.

20486170c42beacec73f01a3dff382d7.jpg

20 more rounds of Hammers down the barrel, and this is what the bore looked like.

d6560007c5232ea03e3b1678ea9775aa.jpg

Last edited:
My routine is to go after carbon first with Hoopes. Then I also use a Copper agent to finish it up.
I always get plenty of blue patches but nothing excessive.

I find the standard copper solvent works great it i let it sit for about 15 minutes in the barrel then run a nylon brush thru the bore. Then the bore comes clean in about 4 or 5 patches.

I find the standard copper solvent works great it i let it sit for about 15 minutes in the barrel then run a nylon brush thru the bore. Then the bore comes clean in about 4 or 5 patches.
Get a borescope and you'll be surprised how much is still in there. I'm not convinced it matters that much yet but my cleaning cycles have gone from hours to days since I got one. No chemical I've tried can take out copper by it's self, not Patchout, not Cu2+ you have to use an abrasive like Iosso to clean to bare metal.

I've since learned after playing with Hammers that I only take out the carbon and don't bother with the copper. I used to hit the bore with CR10 and then Hoppes 9 after each range trip. Now it's Hoppes and done.

With monometals from CEB I've been a firm believer in Wipeout and Accelerator. Borescope made a believer out of me. I can't wait to start loading Hammers and see how many I can run down the tube before accuracy falls off.

Reactions: Evo
Hey there Hammer shooters, not sure where to post this but I'm curious what those with experience shooting these bullets recommend for a cleaning regiment? I have shot a fair amount of Badlands Bulldozers and Barnes LRX and the Barnes has a tendency to copper foul a bit more than standard cup-n-core pills. How do the Hammers compare? Do you need to do more thorough cleaning and copper removal or are the standard chemical copper removers (Patchout, Cu2+ etc.) effective? Thanks!
I’ve had fun cleaning hard carbon out of barrels that regular cleaners won’t touch. Watch “Winning in the Wind” video on UTube on cleaning barrels. He found that Free All penetrating spray and new brushes removed a lot of carbon other cleaners wouldn’t touch. I’ve tried several chemicals including carb cleaner, brake cleaner, simple green, bore tech, and several other penetrating oils and Free All beats them all. Great on carbon rings also.

Don’t use brass brushes with ammonia cleaners. It dissolves the brush and blues your patches.

Get a borescope and you'll be surprised how much is still in there. I'm not convinced it matters that much yet but my cleaning cycles have gone from hours to days since I got one. No chemical I've tried can take out copper by it's self, not Patchout, not Cu2+ you have to use an abrasive like Iosso to clean to bare metal.
I disagree 100%. All the copper comes out of mine, specifically my 280 AI Brux barrel in ~4 patches, 1 wet, and the rest dry.

I’ve had fun cleaning hard carbon out of barrels that regular cleaners won’t touch. Watch “Winning in the Wind” video on UTube on cleaning barrels. He found that Free All penetrating spray and new brushes removed a lot of carbon other cleaners wouldn’t touch. I’ve tried several chemicals including carb cleaner, brake cleaner, simple green, bore tech, and several other penetrating oils and Free All beats them all. Great on carbon rings also.
CLR works great on tough carbon.

Back