Cleaning recommendations for Hammer bullets Vs. other monolithic bullets

I've accepted that no two barrels are the same when it comes to fouling, I have a White Oak SPR barrel that seems to clean to bare metal in one patch out pass and a match Bartlien that takes days to get the copper out of and another Hawk Hill that the copper comes right out of and the carbon sticks around for multiple cleaning cycles. I'm sot sure cleaning to bare metal is even necessary as long as the groups haven't opened up. I've just started the Sig cross barrel with David Tubb's Final Finish system which fire laps the barrel and is supposed to reduce fouling and increase barrel life. We'll see how it does but it's shooting sub 1/2" to start so Im hopeful.

Use Free All penetrating oil spray with a brush and patch routine. You’ll be getting black patches out of your barrel for a week or more. It loosens up carbon that Bore Tech won’t touch.
I know first hand in a very focused test that a bronze brushing with solvent of any type will produce “forever” black patches. One will never get a white patch that follows a scrub with a bronze brush. The bronze tarnishes/polishes like a cleaning paste like Flitz or JB will.

I increased the bore diameter of a test barrel trying to get a white patch. I noticed I could easily reverse mid stroke a new caliber size brush! So, I trashed the barrel and never got a perfectly white patch after the bronze brush scrub.

Only when one puts a few more patches through to remove the tarnish will one get a pure white patch. Nylon brushes won’t tarnish, but I’ve developed a streamlined cleaning regime that doesn’t need brushes to remove the carbon & copper.

I shot 92 rounds through my 280 AI before I cleaned it for the first time, 50 cup and core bullets, and 42 Hammers. A bit of Hoppes #9 and got the carbon out in 6-8 patches, then ran a wet patch of Montana Xtreme copper killer. 3 more dry patches, and the tiny bit of copper was gone, as the borescope dictated as well.

20486170c42beacec73f01a3dff382d7.jpg

20 more rounds of Hammers down the barrel, and this is what the bore looked like.

d6560007c5232ea03e3b1678ea9775aa.jpg
120 HH in my Kimber Hunter 708 didn’t leave a trace of copper either. Good looking bore!

Get a borescope and you'll be surprised how much is still in there. I'm not convinced it matters that much yet but my cleaning cycles have gone from hours to days since I got one. No chemical I've tried can take out copper by it's self, not Patchout, not Cu2+ you have to use an abrasive like Iosso to clean to bare metal.
its been a few days but the recent chatter brought this back on my radar. I was meaning to check my bore with my borescope.

All Ive shot thru this 280AI bore is Absolute Hammers. I use Proshot Copper solvent on cotton patches. I run the first patch and soak the bore and let it sit around 15 minutes. I run another wet patch until clean, around 4-5 patches.

My bore is a factory Browning xbolt, new, 125rds thru it. I found one spot with a copper streak near the muzzle end. Maybe I will run a couple more patches next time or probably let another wet patch soak another 15 minutes.

Overall, I dont think theres much work to cleaning with Hammers using copper solvent. I think the trick is to let the copper solvent soak in a bit. Pro shot is the only one Ive tried so far but I recently picked up some Barnes CR10 copper solvent.

Forgive my bad photos, my borescope is a cheap Teslong off Amazon.
1680926344687.png

1680926393267.png

pic below: my spot with a copper streak.
1680926423753.png

My son's 300 PRC after a number of 168gr TTSX and 208gr LRX is a virtual copper mine.....gonna do my level best to convince him to switch over to Hammers. Really hoping to get some great velocities out of the 162gr AH

Back