Considering a new rifle/caliber...

T_the_Tinkerer

Hammer Time Executive member
As much as I love the 223 Remington, Brownells has notified me that they now have the Howa mini action carbon elevate (CF stock and CF wrapped CHF barrel) in 6mm ARC in-stock. 20" barrel, true 8" twist.

The Hornady factory ammo (read: shoot and get foreformed brass) can be had for between $1 and $1.25/rnd. And then there is the 90gr HHT, the svelt-est looking HHT which will be THE bullet I load for this gun. My form 1 can re-core got back from ECCO Machine, and is bored large enoughfor 6.5mm, so it works for this as well.

The 6ARC bolt gun, with scope, magazine, and suppressor, should weigh in right at 7lbs even. What do you guys all think, is it worth it to invest in adding a new caliber?

How's it going Tinkerer

When the 6 ARC first came out I looked into it. It appeared to make sense in an AR15 platform to gain a little more bullet weight over the 223/556. I like efficient cartridges which this seems to be. I also understand wanting a very lightweight handy rifle. But what velocity do you think you can get out of a 20" barrel and the 90HHT?

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just curious. It seems your range will be limited due to velocity. Is this a close range setup and how does it compare to your 223 with the heavy HHT?

Brass and factory ammo costs are a plus.

Regards,
kneedeep

The 6ARC bolt gun, with scope, magazine, and suppressor, should weigh in right at 7lbs even. What do you guys all think, is it worth it to invest in adding a new caliber?
No! LOL! About the only thing my mother ever said I would agree with; You'll spend every dime you ever make on guns, and your brother will spend his on cars". Right on both counts.

She left out how much fun there would be along the way. It's all about education, and entertainment. If it makes you smile, and/or you learn a bit go for it.

@HARPERC , @gltaylor ,
You both are right. If not for any reason other than learning more, it'll definitely be worth it.

@CBH Australia , @ButterBean
It is a very nice cartridge 👍You have factory stuff that easily gets you out to 1000yrds without handholding.

@kneedeep
"...wounds of a brother." Yes, your thoughts are exactly what I was thinking and why I started this thread. Total cost with ammo and reloading equipment/supplies, if I resuse one of many scopes, will be around $1900; if I get a new scope (NF NX8...?), cost will be closer to $3900.

As far as what I'll be able to do with it, I can technically use 75gr ELD in the 223 and get to or close to 1000yrd still supersonic with the right powders. As far as what I can kill...after reading the over 200 pages at rockslide showing the 77gr TMK killing moose, elk, and bear, I'm not sure there's anything in the South and Southeast that I can kill with a 6ARC that I can't with the 68gr HHT.

As for velocity, 6ARC has two pressure ratings. 52ksi or 55ksi for gas guns, and 62ksi for bolt guns. Hornady is typically conservative with pressures, and I've always exceeded them safely. The 90gr HHT should get me easily over 3050fps, which is conveniently the same as what I get with the 68gr HHT.

As for velocity, 6ARC has two pressure ratings. 52ksi or 55ksi for gas guns, and 62ksi for bolt guns. Hornady is typically conservative with pressures, and I've always exceeded them safely. The 90gr HHT should get me easily over 3050fps, which is conveniently the same as what I get with the 68gr HHT.
My retention isn't what it used to be, but I always learn (education) from your posts.

I think a 6mm 90gr HHT going 3000+ fps will be pretty darn deadly on anything you care to shoot in the Southeast. Those Howa mini actions are slick. And all in a 7lb package including a silencer? Sounds like a winner to me!

Well Tinkerer you got me intrigued enough to run some numbers. I was initially thinking you'd get around 2750fps and it would be a 300ish yard rifle. But even if you only get an accurate load at 2750, at sea level, it's 1750ish at 500 yards. I didn't think there was enough case for that kind of performance. So if you can get closer to 3000fps, Wow. Now I want to come down and shoot it.

kneedeep

I’m going to be trying hard to burn the barrel on my 243 so I have an excuse to rebarrel and shoot the 90 HHT. I’m not entirely convinced I should be shooting moose elk and black bears with it even though I know it’ll work…(read trying to convince myself I need to keep a bigger rifle around…)

I've pretty much always matched Hornady numbers out of my 20" barrels, even when they test from 24", mainly due to them always using moderate capacity cases (i.e. theirs) vs higher capacity stuff like Lake City or Starline (that's really the brass I wanna use, but it's always out of stock...said to have about 1gr extra capacity o er Hornady). If I can't get Starline, then I may have to back my expectations of by 100fps, plus another 50fps due to having to narrow my powder choices and finding an accurate load...which has been fortunate in the 223 being that it has nearly always been at the top.

The current 223 load I'm using is running the 68gr HHT around 3040fps minimum with multiple powders. The whole rig, with scope and silencer, is just under 7.9lbs due to the heavy sporter barrel. It's still light and balances very well. The 68gr is moving 1750fps at 485yrds where I'm at, so the 6ARC will at best get me another 100yrds or so, depending on the muzzle velocity.

Decisions, decisions...

I'm seriously considering a 6ARC Howa for my daughter's first centerfire rifle. I'd be going with a barreled action unless I could find one in a youth/adjustable stock so it could grow with her. Plus, she could eventually hunt deer with it. The 90gr HHTs would be my bullet of choice for handloading it as well.

I'm seriously considering a 6ARC Howa for my daughter's first centerfire rifle. I'd be going with a barreled action unless I could find one in a youth/adjustable stock so it could grow with her. Plus, she could eventually hunt deer with it. The 90gr HHTs would be my bullet of choice for handloading it as well.
They have an Excel lite stock (33oz with all the furniture), which is a chassis style stock, made of polymer. Don't let that fool you, though, as it's the one I bought mine in and it's firm and durable. Coated with alumahyde. It has a very comfortable hogue grip and an adjustable AR style buttstock. The the BCM or Magpul pdw style sticks are short and should work perfectly for your application.

The only reason I'm not still using it is because I wanted an even lighter CF stock (≤20oz). Otherwise, the Excel lite stock is lighter than their normal stock.

They have an Excel lite stock (33oz with all the furniture), which is a chassis style stock, made of polymer. Don't let that fool you, though, as it's the one I bought mine in and it's firm and durable. Coated with alumahyde. It has a very comfortable hogue grip and an adjustable AR style buttstock. The the BCM or Magpul pdw style sticks are short and should work perfectly for your application.

The only reason I'm not still using it is because I wanted an even lighter CF stock (≤20oz). Otherwise, the Excel lite stock is lighter than their normal stock.
That's good info T, thank you!

Back