Copper removal

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
What does everyone use for copper removal? I have some Barnes CR10 as I got it years ago and I have the larger sized bottle. I cleaned the barrel with Hoppe's #9 till clean. Then used the CR10 as directed. First patches came out kind of blue. I kept following the directions till they came out clean. Is this the right way to do it?

You are doing it correctly............or at least the way I do it. 😊 I used CR10 for a while till I found Bore Tech Eliminator. They make a product just for copper but the Eliminator works on carbon and copper. It cut my cleaning time in half.

psst...............I'll let you in on a secret, if you ever buy a used rifle that is terribly fouled with a lot of carbon a couple wet patches of CLR will soften that crap right up. Do NOT leave it in there. I follow it with dry patches and then a couple soaked in 90% alcohol. Don't tell anyone. Works great for cleaning muzzle brakes too ;)

Regards

When the copper gets bad the Outer's Foul Out will get it done. Discontinued last I heard.

CLR is great for stainless. No idea on carbon steel. I let it soak about 15 min then clean out and run some sweets 762 through it for the copper.
Toss the muzzle brake in a cup of CLR and it melts the carbon off.

Kris

When I was experimenting with copper solvents & copper removing foaming cleaners, I found Hoppes Black was very effective and non-harming for overnight soaks in the bore. Or an overnight sit with the bore filled with a chamber plug. Borescope would show total copper removal. The Shooters choice foam would do a good initial copper removal, but wouldn't remove all the copper unless I used alcohol on a bronze brush to open the copper back up for the foam to continue to work. I would get clean patches, but the borescope still showed copper buildup until I roughed up the copper like that.

Now I just use the Thorroclean system or Iosso paste in a Breakfree oil suspension. 20-25 passes on a bronze brush and the bore is CLEAN! Have to dial down the light on the borescope or it's too bright to see anything. Thorroclean also has NO SMELL! I've said goodbye to the overnight soak and hours long/days long cleaning processes. Within minutes I can have the results I want and press on with other things in shooting.

I’ve had great luck with Sweets 7.62 to clean the bore of copper and carbon, and CLR on a patch to get carbon off the muzzle. No soaking required.

The hardest part is getting the barrel copper-free before switching to Hammers. In my experience, the Hammers leave very little copper in a barrel.

Like others said, I’ve used the Boretec with good results

Forgot….i now use powders with copper reducing ingredients also…or add Tubbs Dust to help control copper fouling

You are doing it correctly............or at least the way I do it. 😊 I used CR10 for a while till I found Bore Tech Eliminator. They make a product just for copper but the Eliminator works on carbon and copper. It cut my cleaning time in half.

psst...............I'll let you in on a secret, if you ever buy a used rifle that is terribly fouled with a lot of carbon a couple wet patches of CLR will soften that crap right up. Do NOT leave it in there. I follow it with dry patches and then a couple soaked in 90% alcohol. Don't tell anyone. Works great for cleaning muzzle brakes too ;)

Regards
Yep clr.. Best kept secret... I only use it on my stainless. But never tried it on other barrels yet

Back