COPPER REMOVAL???

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
What do you guys use for copper removal? Barnes CR10 did ok I thought, then I tried the "cleaned" rifle with Bore Tech copper remover and couldn't believe how much blue green stuff was coming out of that barrel. Best of all was the lack of odor from it.

Yep, Bore Tech for me also. I alternate between Shooter’s Choice and Bore Tech to remove layers of carbon and copper.

I just went through this dilemma with my new 30-06 barrel. ThorroClean on a bronze brush was what worked the best for me. Thanks to @BFD for the advice. And as a bonus, it doesn't smell. @gltaylor suggested Kroil and JB paste which also worked well, but was a little messier. But in full disclosure, I have never tried bore tech, so not sure how it compares.

I just went through this dilemma with my new 30-06 barrel. ThorroClean on a bronze brush was what worked the best for me. Thanks to @BFD for the advice. And as a bonus, it doesn't smell. @gltaylor suggested Kroil and JB paste which also worked well, but was a little messier. But in full disclosure, I have never tried bore tech, so not sure how it compares.

And...whatever is left in the bore after a 20-25 pass treatment just needs to be left in there! :LOL: I'm done with removing copper via solvents. There is a degree of copper in the bore which aids precision. Just not the buildup of it.

I would trust Hillary Clinton selling me gas station sushi before letting another Sharp Shoot R/Wipeout product touch my guns. The products can go rancid and destroy the bore. I know from experience.
Guess I’ve been lucky.

What do you guys use for copper removal? Barnes CR10 did ok I thought, then I tried the "cleaned" rifle with Bore Tech copper remover and couldn't believe how much blue green stuff was coming out of that barrel. Best of all was the lack of odor from it.
Don’t use brass jags or brushes with the copper solvents as they will react with the solvent and your patches will always come out blue/green.

Don’t use brass jags or brushes with the copper solvents as they will react with the solvent and your patches will always come out blue/green.
True That! I moved to proof positive brushes and non brass jags when I moved to boretech, I rarely clean to white metal unless there is a solid buildup ,usually on a new barrel. Looking in with a bore scope made me not want to use any ammonia based solvents, I could see staining or dulling in the finish. I do keep some kroil and jb in my box also to keep the throats slick when they feel rough witha patch

Back