CVA Scouts

I haven't measured the pistols, but the quality is very similar to my CVA cascade rifles, with a slightly higher pull weight. I assume the pistols and the rifles are identical with shorter barrels and different furniture, but I could be wrong.

Finally got a chance to shoot both CVA pistols this past weekend. For the 6.5cm I did a ladder pressure test with Varget and had the following results.

CVA Scout V2 Pistol - 6.5cm 14" barrel
85 HH
Starline LRP Virgin Brass
COAL - 2.59
CCI - LRP
Varget
1/8th turn on LFCD

42.0 - no pressure
42.5 - no pressure
43.0- no pressure
43.5- no pressure
44.0- no pressure
44.5 - Very Slight primer flattening, no cratering
45.0 - Slight primer flattening and a small but visible crater on the primer - stopped here.

Unfortunately my chrono decided to stop working due to lighting conditions. I was able to get a few reads, but the other reads were so inaccurate that I don't trust any reads from the session. I think I was able to break 3,000 fps, but will try to confirm when I start shooting groups.

I will load up some more around 44 grains and test accuracy later this week. My ladder group was around a 3" group at 100. Given that the pistol is brand new and these were the first shots and I'm learning a new gun and using a cheap plastic pistol rest with a pistol scope at 4x power, I was happy with that. The gun is meant for close range whitetails, so I'm trying to be reasonable of what I'm capable of with this setup in a real world hunting situation.

Not sure if anyone is interested in the .44 magnum results since those were not hammer bullets. If so, let me know. Got some impressive velocities out of the 14". Hitting 2,000 fps with a 200 grain bullet was easy.

Last edited:
Be sure to post your final load workups in the Share Your Hammer Loads thread and I'll put them in the spreadsheet for others (under pistol).

Hi all,

I picked up a couple of new CVA Scout V2's from buds recently. I nabbed the 6.5cm and the 44 mag. Both are meant to be deer hunting options this fall in the south western MN slug zone. I grew up in a family that loved contendors and took my very first deer ever with a 15" colt .45 barrel made from the TC custom shop. Deer was quartering too me at around 25 yards and it practically back flipped. Had some 250gr XTP's loaded over a semi-hot load of 296. I sold the barrel long ago and the frame was my fathers who sold that as well. Since that time I have wanted to get back into the single shot pistol word, but TC prices have gone through the roof and for $375 the CVA's make a compelling alternative. Anyone here have any experience with them?
The one gun I would keep above all others is my contenders. Have six barrels at the present and another on order from Bulberry. Most versatile gun I own! The CVA will be excellent hunting weapon.

Just in case anyone was curious about the .44 mag. I tested XTP's in 180, 200, 240 and FTX's in 225. The gun preferred the lighter weight bullets but produced impressive velocity.

29gr of H110 was just over 2,000 fps in the 180 and 30gr's produced 2,100. A higher level charge of H110 (1gr shy of hornady book max) produced 2,000 FPS in the 200gr XTP as well. Recoil was manageable as the pistols are quite heavy. Rifle like SD and ES.

Back