Don’t Saterlee My Hammers

OutdoorEdventure

Staff member
As many of you long term Hammer users may have experienced; it doesn’t take much to dial in a Hammer Bullet.

My best experience (due to timing of a hunt) was finding a pressure load with my 300 WSM, 135 Power Hammer. I did 1.0gr pressure test with 5 bullets. Ended up shooting 4 finding slight pressure. I backed down .3gr and loaded 20 rounds to blast some hogs, saving the remainder to fine tune at a future date. When sighting in my thermal at 100 yards the bullets were touching. Guess I’m fine tuned in?! 🤔🤣

Talked to a gentleman who has been committed to the Saterlee .3gr ladder load. Stating he typically usually uses an entire box before dialing in a round.

Now I wanna keep Hammer boys employed so I encouraged him to keep using the Saterlee Method since “it’s the only true way to find the best node.” 🤦

Gday
Saterlee hmm now I know my problem 🤣

I use to weight sort & capacity test my cases
Look for nodes
Shoot minimum 3 shot groups
Among a few other tedious time wasting ideas I was shown & still not a bughole shooter but I could get by to 700/800 most days with pretty good results & a bit further now when conditions were in my favour or lucky

Today If I don’t have a critter down in 5 shots from first off the press to dialed in & dead critter I’m having a bad day

Now I realistically don’t shoot past 500 as a max these days & if I can way less which is the usual case
Still no bughole guy but I’m very comfortable in knowing hammers are without a doubt the easiest pill to tune that gives me confidence to do what I do time after time
Cheers

Gday
Saterlee hmm now I know my problem 🤣

I use to weight sort & capacity test my cases
Look for nodes
Shoot minimum 3 shot groups
Among a few other tedious time wasting ideas I was shown & still not a bughole shooter but I could get by to 700/800 most days with pretty good results & a bit further now when conditions were in my favour or lucky

Today If I don’t have a critter down in 5 shots from first off the press to dialed in & dead critter I’m having a bad day

Now I realistically don’t shoot past 500 as a max these days & if I can way less which is the usual case
Still no bughole guy but I’m very comfortable in knowing hammers are without a doubt the easiest pill to tune that gives me confidence to do what I do time after time
Cheers
I Love This Place

What’a the method down yonder?! 🤔

Them 15 packs about to become real popular. 🤣
Gday Ed

First off is deciding on powder which kinda makes it pretty easy for me as ADI is our Aussie powder company ( hodogen is same as they buy & rebrand it ) & we can’t access other brands
& I don’t substitute brass brands as I back off if I switch not just swap over data

Then it’s either of the following

a new rifle I’ve never shot I’m cautious & look @ ADI / Barnes / nosler & hodogen load data
Do a comparison across them for a starting point ( the average if they all have that actual powder )
Load one up shoot ( I’m straight off the bat 1/2 crimp ) check for pressure & velocity
Then move up in powder weight depending on case size
223 I’ll go 1.5
308 I’ll go2 gr
06 I’ll go 2.5 gr
magnums & big bores I’ll go 3 gr as long as No absolute No hint of pressure on first or a insane velocity on first load the above depending on case size

Fire again check all signs again / adjust scope & most time I only increase this next load by 1 gr /223
1.5/308
2gr/06
2.5 gr / magnum

Next load
.5 gr 223
1 gr for 308 &06
usually 1.5 but odd one I’ll go 1
Verify , check & adjust scope if needed most times not

Most combos this will be my load or 1 more grain
But I’ll keep going up another grain till I find pressure & then back off that grain for my load ( except tropical as back off 3 gr & always temp test also )

Check zero with another shot & that’s all I worry about & if the group on those 2 shots is less than 3/4 Moa I’m basically done ( most 2 shot groups are 1/2 Moa or better )
My group on target are @200

Then lookout turbo chooks or a rabbit as I’ll head out ( usually my front lawn ) set up for a 300 yard ish shot on them & send it to confirm zero
Dead critter I’m done if not I’m annoyed & will search out another if still miss i go back & adjust crimp to a 1/3 & verify group ( 2shots ) & lookout turbo
Caveat if I get compressed load I switch to faster powder but today I’m pretty sure I’ve got my powder of choice worked out well but I do get it wrong

2 nd part
On a known hammer combo& here’s my usual 5 rounds & dead critter
I’ll just start 2.5 gr below where I was last time ( known safe load ) adjusting for the projectile weight
Then go 1.5 gr above that
next load 1gr & no on paper here it’s lookout turbo as this load is usually it that’s for me as @ 200-300 if I can smack a turbo it’s easily inside a 1/2 moa of deer vitals @500 so I’ve got plenty of Leigh way & that’s what I like

Absolute are a different beast & im more cautious with those & read my reloading manuals different to see where I start & with what

Yes sample like packs for some are popular
But it’s not cost effective for us to get them across due to freight so I just break down boxes for that person if they want to try a few pills which dosent worry me

side note
It’s hard for me to contemplate a above 400 shot these days but I will take to 500 if past that I need to get closer or if a turbo or like , man I do love trying to hit those suckers past 500 & a 30 cal or 375 makes very short work when you do make contact
Guess it’s like you guys & prarie dogs

Cheers

Not all of us can kill critters from the load bench.

If the critter carcass smokes after the hit, isn't also load criteria for most.
Gday Carl
Come to think of it I could go off the load bench if I lift the roller door or open the window 🤪

Smoking carcasses is I know I’ve hammered them properly
Then I’m happy & giggle like a school girl
😇😎
Cheers

Thanks for the tutorial Farleg. I just got in loading up some 6.5 Creedmoor. I've got some old powder and primers and made the mistake of buying some Hornady match bullets. I need some practice rounds. The Creedmoor is going to end up as a jackrabbit and coyote gun I think. I still can't believe that I just jumped on the wagon with this caliber. If I ever hunt antelope with a rifle again, it might be the 6.5 Creedmoor. It will be a great round for practice so I don't burn out my 300 RUM barrel. I'm loving my RUM and my 45/90. If the snow every melts from where I bear hunt, I'll be chasing them with the 45/90. Bear season starts a month from today, but I doubt they will be out of hibernation.

The absolute hardest thing to do is realize you can load 1-2 gr increments until you find pressure with 5-6 loads. I'm getting better at it but sometimes I short the ladder on an unfamiliar powder etc. Its nice to not blow thru half a box trying to find pressure. Still learning but dang its fun!

I load one in the shed and walk out back and shoot it at the base of a tree in the canal. Depending on cartridge size as stated above I move forward till I get a stiffy😎 back up a tad and go shoot for groups in the Grove. All with a 1/2 crimp. Usually not much adjustment required. I don't shoot too far off. These things are amazing!

This place and these things are awesome.

Back