Fallow buck

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
My wife got a 5 1/2 year old Fallow Buck with her 6.5 CM. She used a 85 gr HH over 43,5 of Varget. The shot was about 90 yards down hill and I was watching the wrong buck. At the shot I just saw hooves come into my field of view about 5-6 feet off the ground. The Buck landed on it's chest and went about 20 yards down hill with a whole lot of help from gravity. The heart was jellied and When the guide skinned it, he came and got me. The sternum was split in half like it was having bypass surgery. Right down the middle. After asking several Heart Surgeons and a Bio Med Engineer along with an Ortho Surgeon We felt that it split due to the increase of pressure inside the chest. Then the pressure decreased just as fast causing the sternum to flex way move that it ever would in the normal life of the deer. Also a friend shot at a pig at about 65 yards and pulled his shot badly with that same 85 gr load. He hit a 5 inch white pine the pig was standing behind. At the shot the pig jumped away from the tree and waddled off about 30 feet and he fired again hitting it just behind the ear. Lights out. While field dressing the guide noticed a small hole in the pig tight behind the right shoulder. I went back and looked at the pine tree. Sure enough there was a large hole on the back side of the tree and we are sure the shank hit the pig and deflated it's lung lodging someplace in the shoulder as his girl friend got it in her sausage about 2 weeks later. Hammer Bullets did very well for our small group.

Back