Fire survivor #4

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
Got another one knocked out today. Wound up with 6 of these a couple years ago and been slowly working through them when I have time ever since. Friend of mine had a fire, most of the rifles were in the shop, some were in the house and completely destroyed and these were in a thin walled safe that survived (sort of). Whatever combination of varnish and plastic that was smoking off these weapons coated everything with a nasty black sticky mess that was nearly impossible to remove. This one is a Ruger stainless in 25-06 and I've been working on it on and off for about 3 months. All the metal got to soak in acetone then scrubbed with a brass toothbrush, repeat, repeat, then bead blast. The stock was sprayed down with brake clean then pressure washed then paint remover then scrubbing then sanding. Wood was still stained so had to finish it they way you see in the picture. If I was charging him labor he could buy 2 rifles for the hours I have in it. :oops: The scope was even worse because I couldn't use the above method. Acetone on a rag and slowly managed to get it all off. A testament to how damn stubborn an old Canuck can be. I did have pre operation pictures but they disappeared when my phone crashed. Four down, two to go.

Gonna give him a call and tell him to come over for a beer and surprise him. It's Miller time!!

Regards
25-06 fire.jpg

Nossir, it's just something I'm able to do. He's one of the first people I met when I moved here 25 years ago and one of the finest people I know. The kind of guy who would give you the shirt off his back. In one tragic night he lost his wife and his stepson and everything but the clothes he was wearing. I can't even imagine. It's bee a long time now and I'm still having trouble putting this down. I know the good folks here understand. If I can do this little thing to help restore something from before then I will. It's nothing

Back