First Double

Carsyn.22

Hammer Time Executive member
This is not a Hammer story but it’s cool enough in my book that I thought I would share. I killed my first double on coyotes Monday afternoon and did it with a muzzleloader no less! Here’s how it went down…
Showed up at my spot midday, walked in behind the clump of trees I was going to sit behind and turned around, there’s coyote #1 not 50 yards away, he knew something was up but didn’t have me pegged, I froze, wind was in my favour. He picked his way down the trail where I think he wanted to go, stopping to look for the source of his uneasiness. At about 40 yards he changed his mind and picked his way out of the clearing by a different route. I was there for a deer and managed to control the urge to get him.
Two hours later coyote #2 comes walking through the clearing and smells where the first one was, pokes around for awhile looking for mice, takes a dump💩 and leaves (or so I thought, actually bedded down in the sun in an old buffalo waller about 50 yards away for a nap in the sun).
Hour or two later coyote #3 trots in right where #2 came, again sniffing the whole way, investigates the dump and continues out the same way #2 had but stops cold when it sees the one napping. They chase each other around a while, the one wanting to finish napping and the other wanting to play tag. I’m losing it now and sneak up the omega for a left hand shot through the trees, #3 the playful one gives me a shot at 40 yards and I took it, folded DRT. #2 runs but doesn’t leave, finds another hillside around 70 yards out to finish the sunshine nap 😴. I reloaded and kept my eyes peeled looking for any signs of movement to give away her position. Finally spotted a head turn and a spot of fur shining in the sun, after humming and hawing I decided I will probably get a better look if I climb the hillside I’m sitting on to get above the brush between us, I snuck 10’ uphill and found a tree to lean on, zoom in the scope a little (almost never comes off 2.5x) and get behind the gun, right then she stood up and I was locked on her outline. Touched it off and folded #2, again DRT. Approximately 15 minutes between the two shots. I have no video so you’ll just have to take my word for it!
Both are females and spring pups.

Load is a 340gr Precision Rifle QT with 90gr T7 and a cci 450 in a cut down.17 Hornet case for a primer.
I guess I succeeded in confirming zero!

Attachments

• IMG_2607.jpeg
    IMG_2607.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 6
Back