Fixing Muzzle Threads

BFD

Hammer Time Executive member
Another bungle from a long list of them in 2023 was this Savage factory take off barrel in 300WM I got from NSS. Destined as my Hammer stick for 137HH & 154HHT for a lighter weight hunting rig. Started out the gate with a headspace problem. Everything was sticking the bolt so bad I needed a mallet/actually a piece of 2x4 to unstick each shot. Sent the barrel off to a gunsmith pro and he trued up the chamber, mostly cleaned up the belt area. When I received the barrel back I went to switch the muzzle devices to my coveted A419 Hellfire match and discovered the muzzle threads were buggered up at the tip. First time for that. I tried conditioning the threads with other 5/8-24 threaded brakes, but to no avail and the threads got worse. This project went to the back burner till just now. Saw a 5/8-24 re-threader/thread chaser on Amazon for $30 and decided to give it a go. I think the total time including set up in barrel vise and rethreading was 5 min. LOL. I paid a little attention to the squareness of the tool to the muzzle, then it righted itself when it picked up the threads. I was told the threads near the tip of the muzzle don't have to be perfect so long as the threads back by the barrel shoulder hold the muzzle device tight against it. That advice was right. I wouldn't want 2024 to be any easier on me, for how would I continue to learn! 🙃 :ROFLMAO:
IMG_2599.jpeg

Gday Brad
I like this 👍
I’ve had muzzle threads damaged over the years ( yes muppet moments ) & mostly used a small set of files from my PA’s locksmith days which was extremely time consuming & really only a bodge job @ best

Looking forward to good 2024 for a few of us

Cheers

Gday Brad
I like this 👍
I’ve had muzzle threads damaged over the years ( yes muppet moments ) & mostly used a small set of files from my PA’s locksmith days which was extremely time consuming & really only a bodge job @ best

Looking forward to good 2024 for a few of us

Cheers
Thanks Fordy! My 2023 luck was so bad it could have been raining titties and I'd look up to catch a "male rooster" in my face! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back