Fordy’s Findings

Gday
Here’s one that shows where the critters distance of impact to tip increses when this occurs which can be with a pill that opens to early or delayed opening & length of the good wound channel not matching the application it’s asked to do it & has occurred across many different velocity impacts

542442D1-6283-4B9B-80AB-F3AD86304E6D.png
it goes with post 20 of mine below
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS POINT !!!!

When the shapecharge & the bubble is correct the velocity dosent matter as much
Yes a balanced pill
Need to delve into velocity brackets on the above for a bit more clarity to which will come but only partially completed so far on hht & like to do @least the 22 & 243 cal as a minimum before I’ll delve deeper on those so stay tuned I’ll update those asap
Cheers

Edit was a simple & added

Gday

BALANCED PILLS have shown to be the utmost beneficial part in giving consistent results which have a few different parts to get this outcome

petal behaviour /pattern
Shank length
Shank meplat
Depth /diameter of hp

These affect the speed of the shank/petal pattern & wound channel overall get it balanced & a lighter weight pill will outperform a heavier @ the same impact velocity

But we can’t go lighter is better than heavier or heavier is better than lighter

As a line seems to exist on what size pill can be balanced & this also can be dictated by critter size but that aside the best balanced pills have been found in the midweight category

Some calibers I’ve really found it hard to find balanced pills but it can be done im sure as has proven to be the case when tinkering/tweaking has occurred throughout my journey

Yes still room for improvement some a little some a lot

Cheers

I’m hoping the 138 HHT is a balanced pill for my 308. That’s what I am planning to load up for my son’s elk hunt this fall. I also have a 6.5 PRC (lightweight rifle, so too much recoil for him) and a couple bigger options, but I’m trying to find the right balance of recoil and terminal ballistics.

Ok…..F-ing guy from Tas-dam-mania…..put you on the spot, your opinion, you are talking balanced pills? What is your opinion of some of the most balanced pills by caliber we have right now in the Hammer line up?
Gday reemtyj
hmm
I knew you would be lurking with one of these questions 🤪🤔

It really is hard to throw a blanket over that statement as it needs to be broken down somewhat

So a little homework for you before you no doubt will come again 😜🤣

What critter
What range
What rifle
What climate we shooting in relation to ammo handling/cycling etc
Yes I’m not sold on all the hht just like I am with the other lines as a one pill fits all

I do plan on showing where the line was crossed on certain pills of eg to big or too low/high impact etc & preformance dropped off from the bracket where that pill worked better etc

Getting a pill to work very well across all I’ve not seen any brand any pill do that as they cross over ea other & why the above is the questions we need to ask ourselves first

Yes I’m not talking a dead critter as if that’s all ones after go shoot what one wants as a old musket & ball will do that till it dosent 🤣

Side note a bit like @Desert Hunter put up just range needed but he’s chosen well imo & one we need to discuss the what choices & why but if you don’t mind can this wait till the 30 cal thread findings come up or whatever caliber one wants to talk in the caliber of choice for them as people won’t need to weigh through multiple posts that are not applicable for them

I guess like balancing a pill we need to balance how we can find stuff & make it easier for everyone ( especially me )
Sorry to blow you guys off I think it’s a good idea 🤞

Cheers

338rum bears/elk 0-700 yards. 1-9.3 twist
300rum blackies/deer/elk 0-700 yards 1-10 twist
338-06AI blackies/deer/elk 0-500 yards 1-10 twist
6XC coyotes/deer/antelope 0-700 yards 1-7.5 twist
You can’t brush me off that easy Buddy!!!
I suppose you want to know if it’s sunny or cloudy too ??? 🤔😳😳😂😂😂😂😉

Last edited:
Gday reemtyj
hmm
I knew you would be lurking with one of these questions 🤪🤔

It really is hard to throw a blanket over that statement as it needs to be broken down somewhat

So a little homework for you before you no doubt will come again 😜🤣

What critter
What range
What rifle
What climate we shooting in relation to ammo handling/cycling etc
Yes I’m not sold on all the hht just like I am with the other lines as a one pill fits all

I do plan on showing where the line was crossed on certain pills of eg to big or too low/high impact etc & preformance dropped off from the bracket where that pill worked better etc

Getting a pill to work very well across all I’ve not seen any brand any pill do that as they cross over ea other & why the above is the questions we need to ask ourselves first

Yes I’m not talking a dead critter as if that’s all ones after go shoot what one wants as a old musket & ball will do that till it dosent 🤣

Side note a bit like @Desert Hunter put up just range needed but he’s chosen well imo & one we need to discuss the what choices & why but if you don’t mind can this wait till the 30 cal thread findings come up or whatever caliber one wants to talk in the caliber of choice for them as people won’t need to weigh through multiple posts that are not applicable for them

I guess like balancing a pill we need to balance how we can find stuff & make it easier for everyone ( especially me )
Sorry to blow you guys off I think it’s a good idea 🤞

Cheers
Thanks for the validation of choice. Range will be sub 500, obviously with a preference for shorter.

338rum bears/elk 0-700 yards. 1-9.3 twist
300rum blackies/deer/elk 0-700 yards 1-10 twist
338-06AI blackies/deer/elk 0-500 yards 1-10 twist
6XC coyotes/deer/antelope 0-700 yards 1-7.5 twist
You can’t brush me off that easy Buddy!!!
I suppose you want to know if it’s sunny or cloudy too ??? 🤔😳😳😂😂😂😂😉
I was just thinking a straight forward format for readers to make an easier selection and I think you nailed it. Make it easier on Fordy too. Even separate to categories of deer and elk with the deer category including blackies and the elk including hogs. Now the brown bears and dangerous game in their own category. Just brainstorming here.

Gday
Next part that’s been fascinating to follow is certain pills exhibit 2stages of petal separation
This without a doubt when the pill is balanced gives us a little more consistent kill over a little wider velocity range

here’s a couple different petal styles
5E62F1DF-045E-43D3-BA9E-E46EE634FED9.jpeg
Some pills have a couple styles in it’s repertoire depending on what impact others also have only one ( well in the testing range I done them @ or ones I dabbled with )

These styles also show a tendency of what petal pattern they produce

These styles can be tracked back to a design of ea hammer

The flatter ones have shown incredible penetrating abilities where the snail like we need to go back to the secontial density equations & basically more mass is needed to get the same length Penetration

This has shown on the later to be incredible on the way these pills drop off on the curve of killing efficiency
Now they will kill no doubt but impact to tip shows a clear line exists between the 2 with the flatter petals & or 2stage take that 2 the next level again which the greatest number of pill’s being in the midweight category

Cheers

I was just thinking a straight forward format for readers to make an easier selection and I think you nailed it. Make it easier on Fordy too. Even separate to categories of deer and elk with the deer category including blackies and the elk including hogs. Now the brown bears and dangerous game in their own category. Just brainstorming here.
Gday Brad
I like that has me ticking some more as KISS is the best

So let’s look @ deer & GL vrs kneedeeps
A line is between these as they have also shown eg the 85zoomie & you can see this in most critters as mass increases the pill that works on the smaller starts to show its curve on killing effecicency is dropping off

So I’ll try & place a weight in the notes to come in ea calibre
But we need to take the DG extremely seriously as those guys are a different kettle of fish

Cheers

Back