Getting new eyes

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
Finally got fed up with not being able to see plus spending obscene amounts on glasses that don't seem to help much. Tired of struggling behind the scope and trying to figure out whether today I shoot with glasses or without. Heading to El Paso today, getting new lens in right eye tomorrow and left eye on Thursday. Very excited to be getting this done. My bride had hers done 6 years ago and results were stellar.

Kinda hoping to give the young hardbellies at Texas Plinking a run for their money with my new purpose build target rifle too ;)

Regards

Did any of you boys go blurry after a couple of years? Had to play $200 for each eye to get some kind of laser treatment to take away. The blurry. Been good ever since.

Did any of you boys go blurry after a couple of years? Had to play $200 for each eye to get some kind of laser treatment to take away. The blurry. Been good ever since.
I had to have laser repair on one eye to plug hole. No issue since then.

Finally got fed up with not being able to see plus spending obscene amounts on glasses that don't seem to help much. Tired of struggling behind the scope and trying to figure out whether today I shoot with glasses or without. Heading to El Paso today, getting new lens in right eye tomorrow and left eye on Thursday. Very excited to be getting this done. My bride had hers done 6 years ago and results were stellar.

Kinda hoping to give the young hardbellies at Texas Plinking a run for their money with my new purpose build target rifle too ;)

Regards
Make sure you tell your doc that you are a shooter, and follow his advice on how long you need to wait until your eyes heal. Recoil and eye surgery don't mix too well.

Make sure you tell your doc that you are a shooter, and follow his advice on how long you need to wait until your eyes heal. Recoil and eye surgery don't mix too well.
+10!!! But surgeon said be patient and have fun when ready to go. I think it was 5 years.

Just kidding Pappy! 😂 It wasn't too long but then it was 12 years ago with CRS.

+10!!! But surgeon said be patient and have fun when ready to go. I think it was 5 years.

Just kidding Pappy! 😂 It wasn't too long but then it was 12 years ago with CRS.
Ha! The kid has you beat @Muddyboots ! I had mine 15 years ago for a Trauma induced Cataract. What an experience for a 35yo to go 20/40 to 20/400.

@Mountainman , the results are well worth it and I second following the surgeon’s after care recommendations

I had cataract surgery on my right eye last October, went with the multifocal lens, an additional $3000 that insurance doesn't cover, as I was told my vision would be good at all distances, NOT! My vision is good up close, I can see the crosshairs on my scopes clear now, but everything is blurry at distance. I had a laser procedure a couple weeks after surgery, not sure that made any difference, plus now I have a black dot, floater, which is annoying. Doc says I need Lasik surgery now, I ask him why I went with the multifocal lens then and never have got a straight answer. I think I'll get another doctors opinion.

You'll find this humorous.
When I had my first surgery, I was still working my real job. Spent hours at the computer daily. Told the Dr, he installed a lense focused for near vision. Worked great. I had the second surgery a few years later and the doc was also a shooter. Told him I wanted my master eye to focus at distance for shotgun shooting (tournaments). So...he fixed my right eye.
My scores went up significantly!
Now I read this with my left eye and crush targets at nominal range.
My shooting glasses have no correction in the right lense and distance in the left. It WORKS!
I just carry readers for daily use. It's been a few years now.

In March 2012, right eye cataract was bad, so no decision needed. When I came out of the anesthesia, they were cleaning my face off etc. When they stopped, I looked up and could read the manufacturer label on the light over my head! My surgeon laughed and said holy cow that was fast!

My left eye had cataract but not at surgical level. Except my right eye vision was so much better, the acuity differential was so great I was getting bouts of vertigo. So left eye was approved for surgery. Went perfect.

In my final followup, tech asked me to read a 20/40 line on chart. Which I could easily. Told her next line too. So I did, she said Wonderful! So I told her I can read next line. What? So I did. Then it got funny. She then asked me to read the lowest line backwards. I started then stopped laughing. The look on her face was priceless! I asked her if she thought I was memorizing the lines? She stuttered and said they never had a patient read those lines! Even my wife was laughing.

When surgeon came in, tech took her outside and they came back in minute later. Surgeon funny as heck! She told me in all the surgeries she has done most need mild correction at my age. Never had anyone read the lines I did. So she picked a single letter out and asked me what it was. Easy peasy. She said DAMN! This is so cool! So have readers for small stuff but most do not need any help reading. The best is reading road signs at night instead of relying on driving by and saying oh crap that was my turn!

Optics, binos, rangefinder all good to go. Darn lucky! The only minor is open sights on rifle, the focus points little tough.,

Back home and suffering through some kind of crud........but eyes are coming along nicely. Had one done on Wednesday and one Thursday then we came home. Friday I had a follow up with my local optometrist and I was halfway to his office before I remembered I wasn't supposed to be driving :unsure: Never had any trouble at all. Up close things are still a little fuzzy.

Back