Gunbroker sales

spokenfly

Anybody have any best practices when purchasing a private sale rifle on gun broker? Many of the private sales take personal or cashiers check only. This leaves the buyer pretty exposed to scams. I’ve got my eye on a BLR but am pretty hesitant to send some random guy $1000+ with the hopes he’ll honor the sale.

Last edited:
I've bought several shotguns on Gunbroker. So far no problems. You can look at the seller's profiles on GB and get an idea of past sales, rating as a seller and such. Not surprised at the cashier's requirement. Sellers can get screwed too?

I've bought several shotguns on Gunbroker. So far no problems. You can look at the seller's profiles on GB and get an idea of past sales, rating as a seller and such. Not surprised at the cashier's requirement. Sellers can get screwed too?
What GL said. I've bought many from private sellers. I always go with a money order as you have some protection there. I do avoid new sellers or sellers with little feedback.

Regards

Thanks for the ideas fellas. I’ll look into it a little more before bidding. Didn’t realize the money order option had any protections.

Talk to him on the phone and suprise him with a request to send you a picture of the gun with his license on the receiver nice close up so you can verify the address matches the one he already gave you??? In my experience legit sellers are happy to comply.

Talk to him on the phone and suprise him with a request to send you a picture of the gun with his license on the receiver nice close up so you can verify the address matches the one he already gave you??? In my experience legit sellers are happy to comply.
Good advice here^

I would also ask for a Facetime call, take screenshot of him, body language is hard to hide. Tell him you want him to place an Apple Air Tag in gun case and see what response he gives.

I would overnight an Air Tag to him if you feel "safe" enough for deal.

I've never facetimed or requested and air tag from any seller on gunbroker. Just checked that they had been a member for a little while and made some sales. I've purchased quite a few firearms from such sellers on gunbroker and never had an issue. If on the off-chance you do, you can dispute it with gunbroker. I have made phone calls before, on the first few purchases I made. Gave me some peace of mind.

Back