HHT load development

Beeman

Hammer Time Executive member
Hi guys. I’m about to start load development on a few guns I’m switching over to the HHT. I have downloaded the HHT and HH load data sheets.

Is everyone still going off nosler data for a similar weight bullet for a starting point?

First up will be a 300 win mag 168 HHT and a 6 Dasher with the 75 HHT.

in the 300 I thought I’d start with H4350, as I see some good HH loads using it. Can I start with H4350 a grain or two lower than a starting load with a 166 HH?

In the Dasher I’ve found some straight 6BR data with 55 to 75 gr bullets using benchmark and varget that I will try.

First recommendation is when looking at load data, don't overlook stated COAL and CBTO measurements to compare to your rifle. These are major pressure factors in new loads and will affect your ladder starting points. You prob know this but just a reminder.

I personally start at least 3-4 grains or more below on new bullet chosen. Everything I have is completely different from any posted load which is why I insure I have a safe starting load. Its only a couple bullets, primers, powder so I err on side of caution. Having a bigger ladder also gives you a better perspective on how pressure develops with a specific bullet in your rifle in comparison to load data. Adds knowledge for future reloading on similar bullets.

H4350 and mid range Hammers in 300WM seems to be great combo.

Thanks. Good advice. Yes I always measure the bullet in the chamber jammed and usually start load development 20-30 thou off the lands. Always safer to ask than assume! I wasn’t sure if the HHT pressures up sooner or later than the HH. My 300 Win was cut with a special reamer for the 215 Berger, so I’m thinking I got lots of room with the 168 HHT but will measure to make sure.

The Dasher I will start a grain or two lower than a 6BR and that should be a safe place to start.

I also bought some 120 HH for my 284 Win. But I think there’s data for that I can use.

Always safer to ask than assume! I wasn’t sure if the HHT pressures up sooner or later than the HH.
Sooner.
My 300 Win was cut with a special reamer for the 215 Berger, so I’m thinking I got lots of room with the 168 HHT but will measure to make sure.
I bet you got room
The Dasher I will start a grain or two lower than a 6BR and that should be a safe place to start.

I also bought some 120 HH for my 284 Win. But I think there’s data for that I can use.
I’ve entertained briefly the notion of .284 Win. Where do you source your brass for .284 Win?

Sooner.

I bet you got room

I’ve entertained briefly the notion of .284 Win. Where do you source your brass for .284 Win?
Good to know the HHT pressure sooner. Thanks. I got my brass from a friend who shoots F Class. Was only once fired 6.5-284 he necked to 7mm. He switched to straight 284 now that lapua makes it. I’ve never shot the 284 barrel. Been sitting here for almost 4 years. It’s a switch barrel for my Dasher. The Dasher is so much fun to shoot, I have a problem taking it off!

If Lapua makes .284 Win, and I can get it with some degree of frequency, oh boy.

I’ve been entertaining 6BR, 6GT, 6ARC for a play rig…

If Lapua makes .284 Win, and I can get it with some degree of frequency, oh boy.

I’ve been entertaining 6BR, 6GT, 6ARC for a play rig…
Not familiar with any of those. But the Dasher would be kind of like a 6BR AI. I’m curious to see the velocity I get with the 75 HHT. Really curious about the sample pack of 55 HH as well. That tiny Dasher case always makes me laugh when I look at it or shoot it.

Attachments

• E7027DFB-3C32-4CAF-A308-35F3891E6E4A.jpeg
    E7027DFB-3C32-4CAF-A308-35F3891E6E4A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
I think you posted your switching to HHT. If that is the case when I switched from the 131 hammer hunter to the 132HHT I used the same load and it worked just fine.
I’ll go safe and reduce a few grains, maybe 2-3 less than a 166 HH for the 168 HHT. Not sure I’ll be able to shoot tomorrow. Unseasonably hot here in Manitoba this weekend.

Here in SK too, Cory. 34C (93F) predicted for tomorrow. (Good thing I'll be working 😆)
That’s way to hot anytime of the year for me. My friend got my 338 Rum reamer, so maybe while he’s chambering that one I’ll get the 300 Win and Dasher barrels cleaned to bare metal so they’re ready for load development.

Don’t work to hard in the heat. I finished the honey harvest Thursday afternoon. So not to busy the rest of the fall.

Don’t work to hard in the heat. I finished the honey harvest Thursday afternoon. So not to busy the rest of the fall.

That's gotta be a good feeling! Well earned.

I'm in charge of building systems and mechanical at my 'straight job' so today the refrigeration plant was doing the heavy lifting today, and fortunately I was just monitoring 😉

Hope it cools off for us soon I'm itching to send some HHT's downrange myself!

So my shoulder hurts now…
300 WSM and 30.06 can be cruel.
🤦
Shooting in hot weather needs ALL the help ya can get! I have used PAST Shoulder Shield for years and truly helps dissipate the punishment. On sale right now!

IMG_1291.png

First time I’ve shot .06 in probably 5 or more years. After 10 rounds I was about done. 300 WSM has a brake. Would not want to shoot it without. Dear Lord, even with hearing protection, that things is LOUD!!!
On the range I wear custom fitted ear plugs under my electronic muffs. In the field I just use the muffs. Sordin Pro type muffs. Gel cups feel awesome.

Even though it was hot on Friday I managed to shoot. Got rid of my remaining 215 and 105 Berger’s. Now to clean the brass and load them up with the HHT.

Tricky day to start shooting. Hot and windy! 500 yd gong wasn’t a problem. Missed twice at 700 yds when I didn’t catch the wind drop off.

Attachments

• 6EA3210F-9E64-4662-B35C-A84DB1E0D4DA.jpeg
    6EA3210F-9E64-4662-B35C-A84DB1E0D4DA.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
Back