HHT Tip Seating

choprzrul

Hammer Time Executive member
Is there any reason why I shouldn't be seating the HHT tips with this little arbor press? It keeps my fingers out of the line of fire of a hammer.....and it's a lot quieter at 6am :)

1695041474130.png

I did this one, but I don't want to ruin a bunch of them if this has already been tried with poor results.....

I just went out and tried mine. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use it if you want. I find the hammer and die to be quicker. I'd say you just have to be careful not to crank down too hard. That said you can wack it too hard with a hammer too.

Seems like taking 3 shots at each tip is working best for me. Get it started, back off, go most of the way and then back off again, and then put a final push on it. Each time I back off, I can feel it 'align' a little bit. I'm hoping this helps keep the whole thing aligned and going straight in....but I'm probably over thinking it like most things I do.... :ROFLMAO:

Gday choprzral
I like that idea 👍😎

I’ll see if I can find a picture or if we even took one when the hammer boys were over here we had trouble getting all the pills through customs in time & had no tipping block ( that copper thing which you put the tips in sorry brain dead @ present)
So they went to work on a wooden chopping block with around 10 holes for the tips to be whacked with the tipping hammer ( mass production line 🤣 ) & it all worked well
Then when joe was over you should have seen what a pair of flip flops would do 😜
I’ll see if I can find some pictures of them

The main thing is just inspect as you go then you get that feel of how much of what ever system one uses to get the nice Marty of the tip to pill

But I do like that press

Cheers

I was cautious in the beginning. I didn't want to break or damage any tips so elected to use a press for my first batch of 'tipping' - tipped a few hundred that way.

I just converted my drill press to an arbour press by chucking a bolt upside down in the jaws.

My process was to start seating the tip with light pressure until I felt resistance. Then I would back off to ensure positive alignment and come down a second time with firm pressure to fully seat it.

Tips appear to be quite durable - enough that they are tough to deform. The tips also fit so perfectly in the seating block that I have not experienced any alignment issues.

Now I just use a hammer mallet because I find it goes about 25-30% faster. Results appear to be the same, with an economy of time. Two taps and I'm done. I have lost a couple of tips, but have not broken or deformed any.

Pretty hard to mess them up in my experience!

(I find I fumble fewer tips without a ram in the way, @gltaylor but that's just me.)

I just hammered them in. Placed all the tips onto a white cloth on the table. Never lost any and the cloth keeps them from moving around. There were a few that didn’t seat as nicely as the others. But not bad. A few seemed to have rough edges. Out of 200 tips I don’t think there were six that were rough or didn’t seat as well as the rest. Not a big deal. Could barely feel an edge of the tip around the bullet.

I just hammered them in. Placed all the tips onto a white cloth on the table. Never lost any and the cloth keeps them from moving around. There were a few that didn’t seat as nicely as the others. But not bad. A few seemed to have rough edges. Out of 200 tips I don’t think there were six that were rough or didn’t seat as well as the rest. Not a big deal. Could barely feel an edge of the tip around the bullet.
Gday beeman
On those 6 or so I’d look @ using them as your first loads to find pressure with

I like the cloth idea 👍

Cheers

Gday beeman
On those 6 or so I’d look @ using them as your first loads to find pressure with

I like the cloth idea 👍

Cheers
Exactly what I was thinking of using them for. If you zoom in on the picture, the one third from bottom left has a rough tip. I’m sure it would make no difference in accuracy. Especially with me shooting!

Attachments

• FF9AD401-2815-442D-AED2-ED9C18982877.jpeg
    FF9AD401-2815-442D-AED2-ED9C18982877.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
I have a 21st Century hydro press so I can tell exactly how many lb it takes and be consistent
I just seated 25 tips this way and pressed to 40lb pressure and they all look perfect. This is on 25 cal 127 HHT may not be necessary but I like to do hunting rifles just like my short range benchrest. In a 7.5 twist 25-05 Ackley at 3100 fps plus these should be pretty nasty

Back