How to get the meat home

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
The hunt we just went on we met a family from Stowe VT. To get their meat home they had a 7 cubic ft freezer strapped in the back of their truck along with a generator. He said they stop every 4 hours to get gas and use the bathroom. He even had the generator turned so he could fill it from the same size as his truck. He plugged it in at the lodge the night before he left and it was very cold when he loaded it. Seems like it would work well.

Dry ice does the same and eliminates generator oh craps. Big cooler, stainless steel grate on bottom that is actually a shelf upside down, allows drain off if needed. Place dry ice on grate in middle of cooler, surround with packaged meat, place 2" foam pad over entire contents so squeezed into cooler for added insulation, tape lid seam with duct tape. Place on board in truck for added insulation, moving insulated blanket over everything. I run 25-27 hrs easily and meat is frozen when I get home. Dry ice is found everywhere out west. Key is sealing with added foam and duct tape of lid seal. Board to keep off truck bed big help. Poly strip piece added for middle support.

IMG_1810.jpegIMG_1811.jpeg

Check out Menards, Lowes or Home Depot shelf sections and prob find right size for your cooler. Power wash clean to put away.

The hunt we just went on we met a family from Stowe VT. To get their meat home they had a 7 cubic ft freezer strapped in the back of their truck along with a generator. He said they stop every 4 hours to get gas and use the bathroom. He even had the generator turned so he could fill it from the same size as his truck. He plugged it in at the lodge the night before he left and it was very cold when he loaded it. Seems like it would work well.
I've used this method, and yes it works well.

We came back with taped etc. ice chest, and it worked. However customs decide to unpack all our stuff. Requiring getting it all back together. Just raising the freezer lid would have been preferable.

Back