Husqvarna 9.3x57

mevertsen

Hammer Time Executive member
Any discussion on this gun?

I see a few on surplus, actually found some new Norma brass.

Seems like it would be just a fun gun.

No real aspirations or money for a new project at this point, but stuck in a hospital for another week, so why not keep my mind moving.

Seems like this would be gun with a 180ish SH type bullet.

Keep yur eyes peeled for a thread in this section, I have one of those, did a bunch of work already documented on the old forum. I just need to get the garden planted then I think it’ll be time to unpack the loading stuff and get busy (my wife and I moved to an acerage this spring, still getting things sorted)
Right now this rifle has a stuck case in it so that’s first thing, then I’ll be taking some valve grinding compound to the neck area of the chamber to hopefully avoid sticking anymore cases.
I made brass from 30-06 R-P and I shortened some of the 258 gr SH down to 214 gr, fired a few and seemed to have inconsistent expansion but then got the case stuck and haven’t got back to it…

Congratulations on the acreage, @Carsyn.22

That is great news!

That old 8mm Mauser case has a lot of history for sure! Personally I like the x57 case best with a 7mm mouth. Just my personal feelings, though.

I do have some experience with the 9.3x62, and that case seems a bit better suited to bullets in the 250gr+ range. Not many light .366 bullets available, even in the Hammer catalogue!

Keep that mind active, @mevertsen wishing you a speedy recovery!

I think the 57 case is overlooked by many. Me as well. I've shot the 8, and 7 but only in old cut down military rifles. I have the 6 in a good rifle, and its seen some use. Always desired a .224, but never got to it. The 9.3 has always been fascinating to me, but so many choices, so little time.

I did have a couple 8x57's. A Yugo and a CZ. Fun guns, didn't shoot them a lot, and was in need of cash, so sold them years ago.

I never have messed with the 7's. Stumbled upon the 9.3 a few months ago. Interesting reading history for sure.

I have shot quite a few 8x57 and 7x57 and quite enjoy both. Never shot a 9.3.........therefore I want one :) I'll be following this.

Regards

I don’t know much about the 9.3x57. Norma lists brass and ammunition (232gr Oryx) for it. From what I can tell it should make for a good woods rifle.
I do have some experience with the 9.3x62. It is what it was designed for, a pretty much a do all caliber that gets the job done. My eldest son has used it out to 300yds on all sorts of Pains Game in Namibia. I have used it on moose and bear in Canada. The 250gr TTSX - pre Hammer days - bullets we used worked very well.
There is a book I came across a couple of years ago about the 9.3x62. It is an excellent book on the 9.3, I don’t know if it still available. Hendrik Van Der Schyff is the author.

IMG_0411.jpgIMG_0412.jpg

I have been playing around with 185 and 190gr hammers (modified 256gr) in my 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 so far only one Sambar hind taken with that bullet due to extremely limited time in the field lately. But a single shot produced a very dead deer. I have a couple of 8x57 in the rimmed version in a double rifle and a combination gun and am hopefully close to starting on a 22/6mm Remington which is the 57 case via the roberts and 6mm progression, should be fun!! so here is another 57 case fan and a 9.3 fan! Keen to see where Carson.22 gets to with his 9.3x57

Last edited:
Yeah that’s the one! Ah I didn’t know Joe had that, might have to pick his brain when the time comes! Should be interesting with hammers!

It’s much like the 308 or 30-06 case in the US, pretty much any conceivable bore diameter up or down has been tried

I have seen 5.6x57, 6x57, 6.5x57, 7x57 and 8x57 in European rifles and factory ammo though of course only the 7 and 8 have widespread popularity here in 🦘 and I’m guessing the same in the USA. there are no doubt plenty of wildcats as well and there are things like the 257 roberts, 6mm remington etc. which are US cartridges based on the 7x57 case

Also all of the European variants tend to also be available in a rimmed version for easy extraction in break action rifles

I have been playing around with 185 and 190gr hammers (modified 156gr) in my 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 so far only one Sambar hind taken with that bullet due to extremely limited time in the field lately. But a single shot produced a very dead deer. I have a couple of 8x57 in the rimmed version in a double rifle and a combination gun and am hopefully close to starting on a 22/6mm Remington which is the 57 case via the roberts and 6mm progression, should be fun!! so here is another 57 case fan and a 9.3 fan! Keen to see where Carson.22 gets to with his 9.3x57
I am confused, what caliber are those 185 and 190gr (modified 156gr) bullets you are shooting in your 9.3x62 & 9.3x74R. Are you trimming down the weight in 9.3/.366 caliber bullets or are you shooting .308 Sabots or ?????

Back