Lee Classic Turret Press - yay or nay?

hand skills

Hammer Time Executive member
I found what appears to be a good deal on a second hand 4hole Classic press.

If course I have lusted after a Redding T7 for years, but I'm struggling to keep up with components, so it's not in the budget....

I like the idea of quick change plates, just wondering if anyone here has experience with this system, and what the tradeoffs might be (if any?)

Thanks for any insights!

Exactly what I have 👍, it’s turned out half moa ammo though most days I can’t quite hold the rifle still enough to realize that level of potential.
I got it for the same reason, quick change turret that doesn’t cost a small fortune, only one rifle for each caliber so leave my dies setup and just swap turrets. I use it as a single stage press that I can flip around to different dies by hand, no automatic anything currently bolted to it, though I have the parts to do it.
I have never had any higher end press than this so can’t really comment on comparison, I just figured if I need more accuracy I would be best off practicing more instead of upgrading my press…

I ran the heck out of a 4 hole Lee for long time. It performed well. Broke handle 🤷🏻‍♂️ Lee sent me one under lifetime warranty and basically told me to use the broken one for whatever I wanted! Had new one in 7 days. CS was great. I liked it a lot for .357 since it was easy peasy switching thru the 3 set dies. I traded it to someone in great need while I had a single stage. Though wished I still had it.

Gday
On Lee bean hit the nail on the head imo

Have a single
basically just use for my 500 Jeffery & I personally don’t like single as to slow but definitely strongest
Have a 3 hole or just had yep it busted on the cam plate or whatever you call it ( I’ll grab a picture when I can ) but I would hate to know how many rounds that press has loaded 🤷‍♂️it’s a few & my only press for probably 25/30 years 🤷‍♂️& 10 of those years was some full on culling

Have a 4 hole

The 4 is the better press in a few ways imo over the 3

More sturdy & cams better & straighter but I think that was mainly the 3 became sloppy as it just was plain worn out

The other one I like on the 4 hole is on the longer cases like the rums you can move the turret ( I do mine manually as didn’t like that auto thing as I do batches @ a time & pain in the butt for me ) & not have to worry about taking out the bullet to turn turret
Yep it handles my rums length well

I like the easy set of the dies as basically stay in my turrets so set once & forget yes this muppet likes thing’s simple

On precision no bug hole here so I’ve got no idea but guaranteed it can load better than I can shoot

I personally would go for it

Keep us in the loop on your thoughts if you go that way

Cheers

Thanks for all the positive feedback 🙏

My Rockchucker isn't going anywhere, but it'll be nice to just slap in a plate into the Lee and squeeze out a 100rnds of varmint or practice ammo without having to setup dies.

I've got several duplicates (and triplets) in the die department, so once I lock in a pair (sizer and seater) onto a quick change plate I can probably just leave them there.

Especially excited about the depriming hose that comes out the bottom 🤓

Haha, it's the simple things.

I like decapping as the first step in my brass prep, so I can already imagine a plate setup for just that purpose - maybe fit the primer pocket swager on that plate too 👍.

...but I'm getting ahead of myself because I made an offer and am awaiting a response from the seller.

I will let y'all know how it works out for me.

Thanks for now 🙏

Just a quick 'Easter Bunny' update.

Seller accepted my offer and dropped the press and accoutrements (priming doodads, extra plates, aftermarket charging handle) off with my good buddy who happened to be local to him (600mi or 900km from me though!)

My buddy is going to drop it off with my folks today... As luck would have it, my sister is up with her kids visiting 'Baba and Gandad' for Easter - hopefully she will be able to cram it into her Mobile and bring it back to Saskatchewan for me 🤣

Can't believe what a Rock Chucker costs these days ($400 at Cabela's). With that as a baseline, I thought briefly about a Forster Coax, but just didn't feel like the juice would be worth the squeeze there.

So it looks like my visit from the Easter Bunny may be a little delayed, but I'm very much looking forward to this addition.

Thanks all, and Happy Easter 🙏

Now I feel right at home😍.
Your loading room looks just like mine😀. Stuff everywhere, and I know where every item is!
These neat, sparse loading room pictures have been making me nervous!
As long as I can keep the wife from trying to clean up. That's when things go missing. There's forty years worth of stuff in there. Those new out of the box rooms screams newbie.

Back