My dog Gus

Flgunner

I know a lot of folks hunt different ways and here in the south we’re no different. Where I live folks hunt and it’s probably the strongest tradition to speak of. Here in North Florida, dog hunting is king and has been for as long as it’s been a past time. I myself, love our 4 legged friends. But with so much going on and with the amount of people hunting, someone’s going to shoot a deer and need help finding it. This past season I found 24 deer with my Black Mouth Cur. Ironically, all but 2 were shot from tree stands. But I wanted to share a lil of him. I don’t advertise him to get tracks but people that know me will volunteer me a lot to help folks out. So I’ll share some pics of some the deer. IMG_6422.jpegIMG_5587.jpegIMG_5404.jpegIMG_3687.jpegIMG_4725.jpegIMG_4723.jpeg

Would love to hear more about folks hunting dogs. Don’t matter what you hunt with em. I know here they’re like an extension of your family. Gus he’s a big part of ours and for the kids…he’s a lot of fun shooting squirrels as well. IMG_5630.jpegIMG_5628.jpeg

Last time I hunted with a dog the little bitch tried jumping in my lap when I was shooting at a deer. Did not kill that deer. Thanks Lucy.

Loved her to death but she was not invited back out with me in the deer woods.

She had a habit of sticking her head in squirrel holes too. One time a rattlesnake periscoped up out of a hole that she had just pulled her head out of. 😑

Deer dogs, I’ll pass.
Duck dogs, someday.

I don’t have any type of social media so I don’t know how I could do it. But I could easy be YouTube famous on some of these tracks. Especially with some of the funny things that happen. Nothing like becoming an instant break dancer hollering made up words unknown to man when you’re going to your dog bayed up with a deer and stepping on a big ol cotton mouth. Here’s a pic of one of our fine specimens a friend of mine sent me lolIMG_1861.jpeg

I don’t have any type of social media so I don’t know how I could do it. But I could easy be YouTube famous on some of these tracks. Especially with some of the funny things that happen. Nothing like becoming an instant break dancer hollering made up words unknown to man when you’re going to your dog bayed up with a deer and stepping on a big ol cotton mouth. Here’s a pic of one of our fine specimens a friend of mine sent me lolView attachment 2547
BIG stump-tail!

Curious what your success rate is from "tracked" animals - actually turned out on a suspected hit, vs, recovered game?

I have hounds for lion and bobcat hunting, and really do enjoy them. We cannot use dogs for trailing wounded game here, but I have often thought about what would be needed to push the idea forward.

Flgunner

The boys ran Cur dogs in Alabama. Gus sounds like a fine representation and a great companion too! You Sir, have an amazing dog.

What are the odds of you and that amazing dog occupying the same Woods with people that shoot like meatbuck!!🫢😉😉

They sure must be glad you are there...

💥🚀🔨☠️

I’ve had good success. I put on 3 I did not get but there was no blood or anything that said to me it was actually hit. I have caught several over the post 2-3 years that I believe would’ve survived had they not had a dog put on them. Those deer were leg shot, and in a few cases, no broken bones just clipped. Most I put on are alive when found. But Gus will catch if he can get teeth on it and bay if it wants to stop and have a stare down. Hard to explain that part but that’s what I’ve seen. Some guys use different breeds to locate deer that’s hurt. All got different qualities. I know a guy who uses blood hounds but they won’t bother it if it’s willing to fight back. The first picture in the thread is a prime example of that. I was the second to track that deer. First was the blood hound and it fought the blood hound and it quit, I got there about 2 hours later and it has went about 600 yds and we had him bayed and Gus obliged when it wanted to stand it’s ground.

Gday flgunner
Thanks so much for sharing as dogs have a special place in my heart & I was bought up with hounds tracking wallaby &roo with shooters placed @ strategic points & today I still enjoy it but don’t get out as much as I like but can’t do the backpack hunts anymore but memories & listening to those who still do satisfies me now

We also hunt turbo chooks ,rabbits & feral cats with dogs & deer &pigs on the mainland Aussie
These days I’m done with hounds & more your rousers

Recently on our trip up north we had a bulldog bring down a scrubbie which Steve dispatched
I’ll see if I can get the video of this as it’s way cool & Steve will explain better as I wasn’t there @ the time

Keep Gus going strong & thanks for sharing once again cheers

Curious what your success rate is from "tracked" animals - actually turned out on a suspected hit, vs, recovered game?

I have hounds for lion and bobcat hunting, and really do enjoy them. We cannot use dogs for trailing wounded game here, but I have often thought about what would be needed to push the idea forward.
I’m not sure how to go about getting it legalized. Here dog hunting is legal on licensed properties but tracking is as well on any property you have legal access. Just can’t trespass without getting permission from land owner. I try not to work on leash because I don’t do anything but slow down the process. I have had to do it on one instance where we couldn’t get permission to cross but fortunately the deer stayed on the property we had rights to look on. I use Garmin hunt view on my Garmin 200i and on x on my phone. We are required by state law to have GPS and behavior control collars on and dog not leashed when hunting or used for tracking.

What kind of hounds are you hunting lions with? Plots or Blue ticks is what I’ve know guys in Georgia run bear with mostly and some walkers.

Flgunner

The boys ran Cur dogs in Alabama. Gus sounds like a fine representation and a great companion too! You Sir, have an amazing dog.

What are the odds of you and that amazing dog occupying the same Woods with people that shoot like meatbuck!!🫢😉😉

💥🚀🔨☠️
Eventually everyone make a bad shot or something weird happens. I don’t think he’s perfect but he sure has turned some bad situations into happier endings. There’s a lot of good dogs out there and I feel lucky to have Gus. It just takes time working then and putting on when you get the chance.

Flgunner

💥🚀🔨☠️
Eventually everyone make a bad shot or something weird happens. I don’t think he’s perfect but he sure has turned some bad situations into happier endings. There’s a lot of good dogs out there and I feel lucky to have Gus. It just takes time working then and putting on when you get the chance.

I’m not sure how to go about getting it legalized. Here dog hunting is legal on licensed properties but tracking is as well on any property you have legal access. Just can’t trespass without getting permission from land owner. I try not to work on leash because I don’t do anything but slow down the process. I have had to do it on one instance where we couldn’t get permission to cross but fortunately the deer stayed on the property we had rights to look on. I use Garmin hunt view on my Garmin 200i and on x on my phone. We are required by state law to have GPS and behavior control collars on and dog not leashed when hunting or used for tracking.

What kind of hounds are you hunting lions with? Plots or Blue ticks is what I’ve know guys in Georgia run bear with mostly and some walkers.
I have a cluster of mutts really.

That is definitely for another thread all its own.

Maybe this winter I'll have a test with a Hammer on a lion or bobber.

Back