My first rimfire build

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
Had a fella come by a couple months ago with 2 17wsm rifles, one Savage and one Ruger. He also had pictures of groups he had shot with both of them that were abysmal......literally 2" plus with the Savage and nearly 3" with the Ruger. Before we got into the house I could tell the Savage action was loose in the stock so I was pretty sure that could be resolved easily. He was adamant that he wanted to re-barrel and re-stock the Ruger and was going to bring me a big scope for it as well.

Long story short I figured out a way to bed the Savage (grooves cut around the base of the barrel make adequate recoil lugs) and it immediately went from 2" to 10 shots into 3/4" at 100 yards.

Got a Shilen barrel and cut both ends off to match the receiver and give me a 20" total. Threaded it and started to cut the chamber..........well that didn't take long. Seems a lot of money to pay for a reamer that small :rolleyes:. Cutting the extractor groove was a bit of a pain but it all worked out. Customer had already installed a very nice after market trigger. Bedded the action and managed to find correct rings to install the giant 34mm scope he wanted. End result was worth it though as it would put 10 shots of American Eagle 20 gr. into a group that measured 0.65. Just bead blasted the barrel and it matched the receiver perfectly. Doesn't hardly look like a rimfire anymore.

17 WSM.jpg

You do nice work**
I thank you sir! My old daddy used to think I was a half bubble off plumb. All I wanted to do was shoot and tinker with rifles to see if I could make them shoot better and farther (some of my early bedding jobs were pretty scary). When other kids were sneaking their dad's playboy I was reading ballistic charts. I wish he'd have stuck around long enough to see some of my proper builds.

Gday mountainman
I like this & great work
your old daddy would take his hat off to you like I do
Thankyou sir
Cheers

Back