My Impressions of Bullet Performance - By Farleg

gltaylor

Staff member
We are very fortunate to have some very knowledgeable, talented and experienced members on the Hammertime Forum. "Farleg" (also "Fordy" or Brett Ford) is one such individual. Farleg has hunted extensively on several continents and most heavily in Tasmania and Australia. The sheer numbers of animals he has harvested and the depths to which he studies terminal performance of bullets is simply overwhelming to the majority of us.

When we have questions about bullet performance or when Steve/Brian develop or tweak a bullet, Farleg typically leads the charge in evaluating bullet performance. Others frequently help and provide input; which is very valuable, but none of us provide the sheer volume of data that Farleg gathers.

This post is an example of the data that Farleg gathers. What follows is an enormous resource for those of us that are bullet "geeks" and love to dissect and study/compare bullet performance.

Anyone who follows Hammer Bullets is aware that there is a new prototype bullet design that is about to be released (~May, 2023). Most Hammer users are unaware of the amount of testing/tweaking/re-testing that goes on prior to release of a new bullet (or modification of an existing bullet). In the case of the new prototype, it is a completely new design and MUCH testing was done to get the bullet as close to ideal as possible.

For example, there were 2 generations of bullets developed and 4 different designs of Gen 2 tested. You will see this referenced in the attached data (following).

Because of severe delays in shipping/receiving the different prototypes (thanks to Australian Customs restrictions, etc. etc.), Farleg took advantage of the delays to test other bullet brands and designs. All of his test results are also included in this post.

It is hoped (intended) that this post will become a one-stop reference source for performance evaluation of several bullets. Included in the data is information on performance of Long Range Accubonds (LRAB), Accubonds, SST, Amax, FOX, TTSX, Failsafe, TSX, OEP, BullDozier, Ballistix, Titan, Sierra Varminter, HPBT, and Berger. There is also data on 166gr Hammer Hunters (regular Hunters), as well as 2 generations of the new Prototype Tipped (PT) bullets, with 4 versions of the Gen 2 Prototype Tipped.

There is no intent to disparage any bullet design or brand. All bullets were tested using the same performance media, under the same conditions (hunting). You review the data and come to your own conclusions. Any questions should be directed to Farleg. He gathered all of this information. I am simply the scribe that had to decipher his worksheets and put them (hopefully) into a usable and readable format (tables).

This epistle is written on May 23, 2023. Farleg and his son are going to Africa next week for a couple of weeks. He will have no phone service after about 5/30 for a few days. I hope you don't melt his phone when he gets back!

OK, now to the data:

First are the other brands of bullets (1st 5 spreadsheets).
Second, is the info on the 166gr Ham Hunters (1 spreadsheet #6)
Next is the data on the Gen 1 prototypes (#7)
Finally, on this post, is the data on the 4 variations of the Gen 2 prototype (#8)

In the follow-up post, (Impressions part2), data on Fallow deer and Bush Pigs is shared.

Hats off and Thank You to Farleg for collecting this data. That man does an incredible volume and quality of work!

Attachments

• Fordy's Bulet Accu200, LRAB 210-190r.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Fordy's Bullet Table PT 5-14-23.pdf
    59.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Fordy's Bullet Table 163 PT Gen 1.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Fordy's Bulet Table 166HH.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 75
  • Fordy's Bulet Table Sierra 110,HPBT, Berger.pdf
    32.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Fordy's Bulet Table Titan, Ballistix, BullDoz, OEP.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Fordy's Bulet Table TSX, TTSX,Failsafe,FoxP.pdf
    33.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Fordy's Bullet doc 150SST, 168 Amax.pdf
    37.9 KB · Views: 51
Comment: If you're looking at this trying to make heads or tails of it, you're not alone. At first I thought there might be a formatting error. Keep studying, and don't over think it. That's not a poke at you, GL, so please don't take it that way. If anything, it is a poke at myself! My mind is accustomed to other type charts, either flow or spaghetti types. Others might be in the same boat. Major kudos to you and Farleg!

Question, perhaps for @Steve Davis : Of the Gen 2 prototypes, which lettered version should we expect to be released? D? Or am I getting too deep in the weeds?

@aratliff,
The thought process is left to right, across the page.
Impact velocity of bullet
that hit rib or went between them (amount of resistance),
Whether bullet shed petals at that velocity,
damage when bullet hit first lung, then second lung (wound diameters as bullet passed through organs,
Followed by impact with off side ribs,
And exit wound size
If CNS impact-spine (undesirable for data),
If no CNS, how far did animal run before collapsing.
Does that help?
Follow the path of the bullet in your mind
GL

@gltaylor yessir, it does. For what it is worth, I had deduced that prior to initially posting, but it took several minutes of study. In other words, I am a bit of a dummy! :LOL:

Ahhh the new mantra!!

"Be the bullet!"

tumblr_nmcxppm5lN1roqtzko1_500.gifv

Gday fellas
I’m on a short time schedule so I’ll be brief as I can & then disappear again for a while

First off
I’d like to also send a big thanks to Joe & rusty for the help with a bit of the data collection ( along with my other mates ) & im sure they understand now how tough these little Bennett are ( the shot placement we need on them is extremely important to get this data 😎 it’s not just centre mass joe 🤣 )

I’ll post some pictures of recovered shanks & pills most likely When I get back from Africa

This leads me into terminal preformance & I couldn’t kill this pill yes it was extremely good & without a doubt the most consistent I’ve ever witnessed from joes kudu cow to turbos & a few deer & wallaby in between

Now I’ve got a weakness in the gen 2 pill number A without a doubt but that’s only @ low velocity & was replicated yet I nearly guarantee I could have stopped this from occurring by putting a Band-Aid over it

& this is where I love this pill so much ripping those bandaids off

In the past we cover things up to give us better results & rightly so imo but when you start peeling off those bandaids the opportunities & consistency are way better once we get it right
Just think back to the old 30 cal 137& the tweaked one now

Yep Step back clear our heads for a minute
& let’s go to the cast bullet days
You had a velocity level that couldn’t be surpassed without consequences so c&c came along & fixed that but pills lacked penetration so the h mantel design came along & nosler refined that
Monos came along & fixed those weaknesses yet created the you need speed & bone to work well yet left really wanting once velocity fell away or between the rib shots occurred
& through innovation we got better pills & yes even c&c wether frangible or bonded etc were way better than those of yesterday but we keep hearing the old ok stay off bone or make sure you hit bone scenarios playing out over & over & I haven’t even entered into the kneedeep mechanical broadhead situation occurring with so many brands

This pill is the next level as consistent results were observed regardless of twists & to some extent velocity impact/resistance
this pill even has its own velocity bracket & man that really annoyed me !!!!!
but I’ll take it especially for you 308 or longrange guys man you have just had a huge step forward on a design that I need to eat crow on

Only thing I really wish I could’ve done was shoot the numbers of big animals I used to but I’ve slowed up due to my body & my loosing the properties (that I used to cull on & used to get the data from on those big critters & that data I hold on a lot of brands is one I’m so lucky to have been able to gather but also frustrates me as that data is unreal once you start @ big numbers day after day & I can’t get that anymore
But I’m so glad I have my Bennett wallaby that give me the basis of what to look for today but are only one part of the equation & it’s why we moved to the other critters & made sure it was showing the same traits on them

My next stint when Steve & Brian come over , will be my last so I hope I can give you great guys here some more information to help secure their critter without the bandaids we used to use coming into play

Here’s my take on where the road ahead lies & give you guys something to chew over till I get back

Twist & Weight
Will equal what someone’s combo can achieve that is going to be hard pressed to trump

I will still shoot a few critters for my own curiosity but the full on autopsies I’m stopping & I’ll report those to you guys no doubt as you guys here are the best we’ll mannered respectful people I’ve ever had the pleasure to be involved with that push me to go oh well let’s see
Yep it’s been fun

First, thanks for sharing this with us. Not everyone puts out data for a general community to look over and consume.

Based on that, is it safe to say the Gen 2 "D" prototype is the design taken forward then?
Gday Jeremy & others I hope the following addresses people’s questions on that other thread also
So here goes
I believe it will be C as
The whole picture of where the pill works the best is in that range but B&Dwere also good
The deer are the ones that showed up why C was the slightly superior pill as the pop it creates in the animal is better & the petal pattern / release point of them is way more consistent across various resistances including the wallaby turbos, bovine , cats , rabbits & possums

Now I should have broke those impacts down further but I didn’t think I would see a difference in 50 fps impact but you can & it’s only on the real low velocity impacts but once you reach around 1850/1900 bets are off on me being able to see a difference so the 100 range is great above here but this is where the data sheets were a little misleading as if it was say 1760 & preformance was a little off it went into the 1800 bracket yet same impact resistance that was 1840 went into the 1800 also which showed up on the charts as being one working & one not yet the 80 fps difference on impact was a huge difference on actuals so I apologise for my not being thorough enough & confusion

The other part of the equation was what the petals were doing & this I’m sure I had joe scratching his head @ first on how I can tell so quickly on where these are lacking or great in ea pill once again the low velocity is easier to see but the shapecharge of how that pill goes off is the one that shows us where the fine tuning of a pill is 😇

Man a ever so slight change on a pill design is ever so important
But I’m real happy how joe picked up on what was going on so I guess I’ve got to stop calling him a Slovakian as most don’t pick that stuff up that quickly 👍😎

I will say that the 1400is rubbish down there & that’s one I don’t like in any pill on any critter so take that for the next part of the equation

The minimum impact velocity I don’t know what Steve is going to put out as his final recommendation
We did talk about it a lot & he also got great information on these bottom end velocity opening/shedding from Pickens in the 22 cal & I believe that is better than the 30 cal

Me personally I wouldn’t go into the 1600 range & I am more happy with the 1800 but I can see that 1700 is going to work in the bottom end of the velocity bracket
Here’s some shanks118C8F79-9ADF-4E4E-90D0-7B370E292F2F.jpeg now look @ those ones with retained petals & this goes for any brand you get this yes they will kill but you do not !!!! Get straight line penetration & that straight line is so important to get a consistent outcome so just take note of that for future reference on other brands who speak lies when they’re pill can still do a miraculous job no it will eventually let you down
& it will also with this hammer so it’s why I advise to not use 1600 but it will most likely work until Murphy gets you
So ea person work out how far they will push the envelope

I would like to get into the velocity brackets but I’ve got to go but the old velocity brackets are all over with this pill & it annoyed me but it is what it is & one that’s way more simple now
& the 308 or longrange shooters the brackets you’ll be in now is a game changer for you guys me personally I was already in the top bracket so my gains are only in a couple small areas that can also go into later if you lot wish
But for now I’ve got to run & hopefully that’s clear if not just ask

Cheers

Back