My Impressions of Bullet Performance - By Farleg

I hope sf is one of the bandaids because strelok is telling me
.284 145hht sf 1.39
.284 143hh sf 1.64
for my rifle with 1.5 being the old minimum .

It's interesting to see that difference on the calculator for sure.

I think it's important to remember that the calculator is based on a Miller's model, which improves upon Greenhill's, yes, but it's still a model.

Brian Litz has published some interesting material on stability, and after reading his stuff I can help but wonder if those two pills (145HHT and 143HH) are closer in SG than the calculator suggests.

My reasoning for this is that even though the tip increases the length of the bullet, the mass of the tip is very low. The HHT's have a larger hollow point than the HH as well, suggesting that the center of gravity on the new HHT is farther back, or closer to the base of the bullet compared to a HH (even though the HH is shorter).

Will HHT's still need a 1.5 SG to be considered stable? For now it's a safe bet, but it wouldn't surprise me if reality starts to diverge from the model here...

Gday davem & others let’s start ripping them off & I loved that kneedeep as I’m sure you herd me say those words a few times when I was testing this pill 🤔😉😇
I hope sf is one of the bandaids because strelok is telling me
.284 145hht sf 1.39
.284 143hh sf 1.64
for my rifle with 1.5 being the old minimum .
Well time to step back a touch
Someone on the old forum put a link up on stability from some company ( bison ballistics I think ) & was in the 1.3 to 1.4 being the most stable & we had some great discussions on that old forum for which it never left my mind on why can’t we have that 🤷‍♂️
But equally as soon as I got remotely @ or below 1.5 I saw from odd to pathetic results In nearly all pills but especially mono

The easiest way was we put a Band-Aid over it & you’ll see when people asked the majority of us would recommend a 2sf as @ that range your results were way more consistent yep any brand mono doesn’t hurt to do this & even c&c I can see the advantages also but just be careful going to high with them

So now we enter the hht
Yes I think Steve was shocked when I told him what I did as that discussion we had some time ago never left me so I play I tinker & do what I do best & that’s well let’s see how this theory plays out in real world critters & take note of where the line exists is my main reason

Yes I run that 163 down to a sf of 1.362 & couldn’t get it to go off line or not preform
Yep it preformed flawlessly

This was also confirmed numerous times in the field & joes tail pipe shot ( aka the George shot ) was a really nice example of this playing out although the sf on that shot was around 1.449

Yep this is one of the BIGGEST bandaids I’ve found with that 163 & I would still like to stay with Steve’s recommendation as it gives us meat in the sandwich but if one does want to go below I’d strongly suggest testing is carried out prior to putting in critters

Other bandaids are also very important & one by one I ripped them off to where I couldn’t kill this pill
yep I found no weaknesses as long as we stay inside Steve’s velocity recommendation
The sf that’s one I’m happy using that 163 in my 11 twist without a concern in the world but I’d also say if you’re looking @ running this weight in your rifle I’d seriously look @ the 168 as to me on paper that looks a better pill but ea individual needs to work out there combos velocity capabilities
Eg a 308 with 163/8 may use to much case capacity so the 154 may be better on for that 🤷‍♂️yes we need look a little deeper individually

Yes the 168 along with the 154 are going to be the ones I’m watching closely to see how they stack up against the 163

Overall it’s always better to have more sf than not enough & just by dropping a little weight won’t hurt & one I’d still recommend but man the lightweight against this pill hmm that’s another discussion for later on lol
Cheers

Looking very much forward to some load data and terminal data on these new pills. For most, the terminal data will be a while 🙁. However....Farleg's terminal data is both Very Promising and Very Extensive for the 163. I can't wait😁!

Last edited:
Back