My last Defiance action

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
I bought a Defiance action on sale about 3 days before the price nearly doubled. It's a long action with a standard bolt face. I didn't know when I bought it that it would be my last. I always liked their actions but with their new price tag they'll have to keep them as far as I'm concerned. This leaves me with the dilemma of what I'm going to turn it into. Originally it was going to be a 30-06 but now I'm thinking 270 or 280 AI. Perhaps to satisfy my penchant for resurrecting old cartridges I could build a 7x64 Brenneke. :unsure: Then again I only have one 270 and it has a factory barrel (heaven forbid). Nothing smaller than 270 appeals to me, perhaps I could go bigger to 338 or 358. I might just have to build it as a switch barrel :) Decisions decisions.

That do you think guys?

Defiance.jpg

another vote for 7x64.
I’m in the process of working up a 120HH for a 7x57 when not fire forming brass for another rifle (not an antique chambering) assembled this weekend. Will share deets on those in another thread soon.
All that said, KTAS—keep the antiques shooting!

MM,
With your skills (and you probably have an action wrench and barrel vise), a switch barrel is nice.
I've got 2-3 shouldered switch barrels (use action wrench) and 3 of the West Texas Ordinance (WTO) switchlugs. The WTO takes only a hex drive torque wrench, no wrench/vise. Barrel change takes less than 5 minutes. Zero returns just fine.
Love my switch barrels. Want a new caliber? Just buy a new barrel & get it threaded/chambered. No whole new rifle, scope, trigger, etc. Etc.
The only "big" rifle I have is a 338 Sherman. All others are 30 cal and down.

MM,
With your skills (and you probably have an action wrench and barrel vise), a switch barrel is nice.
I've got 2-3 shouldered switch barrels (use action wrench) and 3 of the West Texas Ordinance (WTO) switchlugs. The WTO takes only a hex drive torque wrench, no wrench/vise. Barrel change takes less than 5 minutes. Zero returns just fine.
Love my switch barrels. Want a new caliber? Just buy a new barrel & get it threaded/chambered. No whole new rifle, scope, trigger, etc. Etc.
The only "big" rifle I have is a 338 Sherman. All others are 30 cal and down.
Now THAT is the best idea yet. I remember the first time I saw the switch lug it annoyed the hell outa me cuz I never thought of it. 280 AI with a 26" pipe and a 35 Whelen with a 22. 2 scopes, one for close, one for far with QD mounts :unsure:

I vote 280 AI. Mine turned out pretty good. Built it last year. 23” IBI CF 1-7” twist. 3300 with a 140 AH and H100V.

Attachments

• 54DBA495-0D02-43E6-B451-8723E8034506.jpeg
    54DBA495-0D02-43E6-B451-8723E8034506.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • FA55D4AF-DA0A-47A6-8A0C-1595943CD659.jpeg
    FA55D4AF-DA0A-47A6-8A0C-1595943CD659.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • B993AA6B-7392-4E30-A38A-E072EEF11128.jpeg
    B993AA6B-7392-4E30-A38A-E072EEF11128.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
I love my 6.5x284. It's a little smaller than the "skinny Ugly" but mine is a shooter. I also have a 28 Nosler that is an outstanding killing machine.
They are my favorite hunting rifles right now.

Hey @Mountainman do you know if that WTO switch barrel system is compatible with the m70?
I can't imagine why it wouldn't be. You would need the model without the recoil lug. Barrel just has to be cut to fit the inside of the WTO. Same think actually that I'll have to do with my Defiance with the built in recoil lug.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be. You would need the model without the recoil lug. Barrel just has to be cut to fit the inside of the WTO. Same think actually that I'll have to do with my Defiance with the built in recoil lug.
It uses a separate washer type recoil lug then and the lug milled into the bottom of receiver would get removed or relieved so as not to bear the load of recoil? Am I understanding this correctly?

It uses a separate washer type recoil lug then and the lug milled into the bottom of receiver would get removed or relieved so as not to bear the load of recoil? Am I understanding this correctly?
No, you still use your factory recoil lug. The WTO you want has no recoil lug and will simply mount in front of your action. The barrel will shoulder against the WTO.

WTO.jpg

Back