Need everyone's opinion on this, pronto.

T_the_Tinkerer

Hammer Time Executive member
I just spoiled myself for my soon to be 38th birthday. I purchased a NF NXS 2.5-10x42, and having had it for 24 hours, I'm looking through it and trying to figure out if this thing is worth $1600 or whether I need to eat the restocking few and either pick something else. I'm comparing it to the Arken EPL-4 4-16x44 (and by extension, my previous VX5HD), and so far these are my findings:

For the NXS
-lighter by 0.25lbs
-slightly, and I mean slightly, better lowlight
-known to be pretty much 100% on the tracking and dialing i.e 13.5 clicks is actually 13.5 clicks and not 13 or 14 downrange
-feels bombproof

For the EPL-4
-larger field of view
-larger range of magnification
-larger eye box
-brighter max and dimmer minimum illumination
-better clarity i.e. sharpness edge to edge
-less expensive...by a lot...$400 vs $1600

So what do you guys think? For the smart Alec in the comments, no need to say 'stay off of Rokslide', because I'm already hearing that in the back of my head.

Nightforce scopes are the best scope I have ever used. 1600 dollars for the scope you have seems expensive. Euro optics has demo nightforce for pretty good deals. I love the NSX, NX8 line of scopes. I also own 3 SHV’s and like them well enough too.

Don’t know anything about the arken scope you talk of…..but I can’t imagine it is in the same class as nightforce.

Leupold scopes are awesome but have been known for tracking issues.

Nightforce scopes are the best scope I have ever used. 1600 dollars for the scope you have seems expensive. Euro optics has demo nightforce for pretty good deals. I love the NSX, NX8 line of scopes. I also own 3 SHV’s and like them well enough too.

Don’t know anything about the arken scope you talk of…..but I can’t imagine it is in the same class as nightforce.

Leupold scopes are awesome but have been known for tracking issues.
I figured as much. They had no 'like new' NXS at all in the 2.5-10 flavor. The demos were for heavier models. They did pay the taxes on this thing, though. That's also the going price on the web for the NXS. I do think the price is a bit high, but that's what they're going for all over the web.

The Arken is of course chinesium brought to you by a vet owned company, so there's no telling the long term durability of these things. I doubt they stand up like a NF.

Edit:
I just did another quick check. $1600 is what these things are going for in every place you get them online.

Well, I have an Arken SH-4 4x16x50 coming to just see. Crazy price with 25% off right now. Plan is for old Savage 110C .270Win 117HH load. Betting be fine from reports I am seeing.

The age old dilemma of buying the "best optics" versus serviceable optics. Ford, Chevy, GMC, Ram discussions are same.

Got several Nightforces, Leupolds and just got my first Arken.
Been using Leupolds for 50 years. Only one tracking issue 🤞so far. Had Nightforces for upwards of25 years - zero problems so far. Used Weavers, Redfields, Bushnells (meh) old models, Vortex (only one, but love it-illuminated).
Yes NF is expensive - but as you said, pretty bombproof. Hoping to check out that Arken on my new rifle (if I ever get the action!).
Good luck!

Got several Nightforces, Leupolds and just got my first Arken.
Been using Leupolds for 50 years. Only one tracking issue 🤞so far. Had Nightforces for upwards of25 years - zero problems so far. Used Weavers, Redfields, Bushnells (meh) old models, Vortex (only one, but love it-illuminated).
Yes NF is expensive - but as you said, pretty bombproof. Hoping to check out that Arken on my new rifle (if I ever get the action!).
Good luck!
George, which Arken? EP5?

Had to go look. It's an EPL-4.
Not keen on FFP scopes, got one to try?
You'll like the EPL-4, especially if you got the 4-16x44 version. The QC can be hit or miss sometimes, but at the rate these guys are selling these things, you realistically can't expect much more. I had a bit more illumination bleed than I liked in my first EPL-4, and I had a second one in like 2-3 weeks. They'll take care of you.

You'll like the EPL-4, especially if you got the 4-16x44 version. The QC can be hit or miss sometimes, but at the rate these guys are selling these things, you realistically can't expect much more. I had a bit more illumination bleed than I liked in my first EPL-4, and I had a second one in like 2-3 weeks. They'll take care of you.
I did.
Don't like the inability to see stadia lines below mid range power on FFP scopes. Gonna try this. So far (in good light) I can see stadia lines at mid range power (8 power). I rarely hunt above 6 power, so we'll see. At least the dot is illuminated, so for closer shots <250 yds, that's all I need at my velocities 🤞

What’s your average shot distance ttt?
What caliber is it for?

I can’t imagine paying that much for a scope if it’s going to be used by an average whitetail hunter. Unless you’re in dark timber I just don’t see the advantage over a scope that costs a fraction of that. Even then…

For distances out to 300-350yds you should be able to just sight in at max pbr and be good, no need to dial. If you are taking shots longer that that where you need to dial, I think that’s 10power 42mm a little underwhelming.

I used an $80 bushnell 4-16x42(maybe 50mm, been years)from Walmart for years, wasn’t until I saw the benefits of shooting longer distances that I upgraded to something better. Although I did take a few animals out beyond 300yds and a bear at +400yds with it. It felt like guess work at those longer distances compared to the nx8 4-32x50.

That $80 bushnell has more kills than any of my other scopes too. 😉

That buyer’s remorse can be a bitch. Hope you end up happy with your final decision.

I did.
Don't like the inability to see stadia lines below mid range power on FFP scopes. Gonna try this. So far (in good light) I can see stadia lines at mid range power (8 power). I rarely hunt above 6 power, so we'll see. At least the dot is illuminated, so for closer shots <250 yds, that's all I need at my velocities 🤞
Ah, I gotcha. That's a fair assessment. My eyes are still somewhat young so basically 6x and above are clear for me. I just use the illumination for lower than that.

S
What’s your average shot distance ttt?
What caliber is it for?

I can’t imagine paying that much for a scope if it’s going to be used by an average whitetail hunter. Unless you’re in dark timber I just don’t see the advantage over a scope that costs a fraction of that. Even then…

For distances out to 300-350yds you should be able to just sight in at max pbr and be good, no need to dial. If you are taking shots longer that that where you need to dial, I think that’s 10power 42mm a little underwhelming.

I used an $80 bushnell 4-16x42(maybe 50mm, been years)from Walmart for years, wasn’t until I saw the benefits of shooting longer distances that I upgraded to something better. Although I did take a few animals out beyond 300yds and a bear at +400yds with it. It felt like guess work at those longer distances compared to the nx8 4-32x50.

That $80 bushnell has more kills than any of my other scopes too. 😉

That buyer’s remorse can be a bitch. Hope you end up happy with your final decision.
Yeah, so do I 😅

Your assessment on ranges is mostly valid iny case. Past the MPBR of the 68gr HHT out to 350-375yrds, with my MV you actually do have about 5-5.5MOA of potential dialing. Plus factor in the different zeros and DOPEs for my different loads, I needed something known to dial true and RTZ all the time.

There are a lot of things like that in the firearms world, things that once you buy, you're kinda stuck with. Once I got the thing mounted in the rings, it was easier to hold it in proper eye position. This thing, as is known, is more finicky about eye position than some other scopes. It's lighter than my previous scope and I know it won't break or lose zero from bumps or a fall, so there's that.

What it comes down to is your satisfaction with your decision based on your own inputs. Heck it could be just "pretty" to you which is fine as well. Everyone's budget is also different. I have a salmon trolling boat that fights for equal budget which is killer on some builds I want to do. But I can't imagine not trolling for kings, reels screaming and the powerful runs all keep me coming back for more.

Gday
Tinkerer

I’m extremely fussy on optics & once I find something that should have let me down I am hard to shift
Bullets are no different but I can test them without the major cost lol

I’m be been in a delemah for considerable time on what to buy & I’ll keep those details out as not to derail but I did go away from my swaros & will swap scopes to fix 🤞my new purchase which is around 3k cheaper than the route I was considering
Yet the one I bought from my mates research is basically bullet proof yet I could have saved another 600$ pretty easy but odd issue came up on his search so I went the route of the one I did

So I personally am over being a Guinea pig for untested longevity products as the cost you save today usually ends up costing more in the long run
But I do say today’s products are pretty darn good for which the Arlen may 🤷‍♂️

So buy once cry one is my moto
But Look @ fierce rifles im still crying over those expensive crap rifles so the night force may be the same but doubt it on the ones I’ve had as they we’re pretty darn good

Let us know your decision please
Cheers

Back