New Member - 300 PRC, 280 AI, 6.8Western

I've already made some posts, but new here. I have enough Hammer Bullets purchased to buy a nice rifle! But they are hard to resist. Currently working on three cartridges:

300 PRC with a great load on 199 HH but migrating to 182 HHT and/or maybe 203 HHT.
6.8 Western, just going with 160 HHT and Ramshot Magnum for now.
280 AI, planning on mostly 132 HHT. I have two Weatherby Mk V Backcountry's - One is RH for me and one is LH for my son.

I have other odd bullets but not worked up load yet, including 45-70, 10mm Auto.
I'm always trying to learn more and this forum is very helpful.

Cheers.
Sounds like you have been loading for awhile. I would like to hear how your 6.8 Western works out. I'm just starting to load for my new 6.8 W 160 HHT. I'm trying a Magpro load in a few hours.
My pops showed me how to reload probably in 1978. After a couple decades lapse (family and work) I just started up again a few years ago after retiring. We talk on the phone and he gets a chuckle when I mention some of the new reloading tricks that I am trying. I've settled on a decent load on 6.8 Western with Ramshot Magnum and the 160 HHT. It is close to the load that I was using on the 156 HH. I've loaded up 100+ rounds for an upcoming long-range class that I am taking. I've not tried Magpro, but I'm looking forward to trying the new Ramshot Grand when available.

The 300 PRC is really my shining star, got to accuracy pretty quickly with one powder (H1000) and one bullet (199 HH). I'm trying the HHTs now and they seems to be going well. Both these are in off the shelf Browning x-bolts.

I've already made some posts, but new here. I have enough Hammer Bullets purchased to buy a nice rifle! But they are hard to resist. Currently working on three cartridges:

300 PRC with a great load on 199 HH but migrating to 182 HHT and/or maybe 203 HHT.
6.8 Western, just going with 160 HHT and Ramshot Magnum for now.
280 AI, planning on mostly 132 HHT. I have two Weatherby Mk V Backcountry's - One is RH for me and one is LH for my son.

I have other odd bullets but not worked up load yet, including 45-70, 10mm Auto.
I'm always trying to learn more and this forum is very helpful.
Welcome!! 6.8 Western is my next project, I have a rifle being built now!

Welcome!! 6.8 Western is my next project, I have a rifle being built now!
So FYI, good old .270 Win in 700LA or clone with fast twist 1:8 or 1:7 with adequate freebore (0.290 in my rifle) to maximize the magazine capacity (3.67) to 3.63 for solid feed will duplicate and surpass the 6.8W with heavies. RL26 is pixie dust but Alliant PP4000MR shows similar promise. RL23 close. The 156HH topped out close to 3300 and hunting load is 3205. Peterson brass. The 160HHT was 3100+.

Just a thought in case you were not aware of old girl updates with fast twist and freebore. The .270 Win is a 65K cartridge that has had a Governor on it as 1:10tw with 130gr bullet, time to let her breathe!

Ok @joe16 this is your bell ringing!

Hey Dave,

I only visit the website on occasion, now. For the 280 AI, I have had great success with the following load:

56.0 grains of H4350
Hammer Hunter 155 grain
Proof 24" barrel
Truing velocity is 2970
averages about .47 MOA for 5 shot groups. Validated on steel to 600+ Brother dropped a small Coues last fall at 503 yds. Watched the vapor trail last couple hundred yards to impact. I am loading .02 off the lands. Muscle memory from reloading Barnes...
I had initially used Reloader 23, but it became impossible to find. H4350 provides excellent results. I also use it for 6.5 Creed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Moonlighter

Back