New member from south eastern B.C.

Welcome from Utah from another geezer.
My favorite place to hunt is Northern BC and Stone Sheep would be my game of choice.
Well if I could afford it.
In my next life I’m moving to BC.
Climb aboard. Hammers are awesome.
Yeah, Northern B.C. is the last place we can hunt Sheep without a draw. I have hunted Thinhorns at various locations across the Northern Province.
I am going to work up a Hammer load or two. Just deciding which bullet and load to start with for these .270's I have...all wcf's.
The province just put our Rocky Mountain Bighorns on draw a couple years ago.
Randy suggested the 122 hht's, so I will.probably start there.

Welcome from Saskatchewan!

I got the 122gr HHT humming in my .270win, should be a great combo. Now to put it to work...

Been shooting the 140gr AH in my .280rem for a few years now with great results. Absolutely love that setup.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
That's pretty close to Fernie, isn't it @Comerade ? That's some real big country out your way! Was looking pretty brown when I was through in December. Get any snow yet?!

Handskills.
Yeah, Fernie has gone Hippy now. My family was one of early originals.
Moved north of Fernie before the sillyness began.
Live on land, farm and Ranch a bit..Cowboy a bit.
When I was young I worked as a Hunting Guide for various Outfitter's.
I saw the last of the best hunting, the wild places and some decent bronc's.
How about you folks?

Handskills.
How about you folks?
Love that area. I always do my Elk draw for the Wasa lake area. I haven't gotten a draw yet but have spent a bit of time in Top of the world national park. Cheers.

Handskills.
How about you folks?

Hippies, eh? Givin' granola a bad name... State of the Kootenays, I fear.

Amazing how things change; A trip through my old stomping grounds (Cadomin area, AB) brings a tear to my eye. Forestry and mining really moved in and flattened things out....

Did a little wrangling myself back in the good old days. Sure miss those mountains at times.

Lived urban for a bit, couldn't stand it. Settled down in southern SK in pursuit of the good life. Now I can load and shoot right outta my shop 🤣

My definition of success continues to evolve 🤣Got a little land and a few animals. Tryin' keep out of the clutches of Modern Medicine and 'Let thy food be thy medicine' as Hippocrates suggested. Simple life, not easy life 💪

I like Hammers because they are simple to load, and just flat work. In a world full of nonsense, Steve and Brian really cut to the chase, and there's something contagious about that. Been cutting up game for a while now, and these bullets are a new paradigm for me. Remarkable internal damage, and yet very little meat loss.

As others have intimated - don't be afraid to go with a bullet that is 15-20% lighter than you might be accustomed to. Doesn't hurt to verify your twist rate(s) with a cleaning rod and a patch before ordering!

Thanks for the advise Handskills.
I don't shoot long, load short & fat and pretty thrilled with a 10 twist.
I have used a few mono's and 1 other cnc lathe turned product
Favorite chamberings are the 30/06 configurations from .25 to .35
I think I will start with 122 tipped in front of reloder 16 ...you guess the caliber
Cheers

Love that area. I always do my Elk draw for the Wasa lake area. I haven't gotten a draw yet but have spent a bit of time in Top of the world national park. Cheers.
Yes, I know that area.
Top of the World is indicative of the West Slope Rockies landscape.
Game Management is poorly done and hence reduced Elk numbers all over the East Kootenay though.
I also blame the hippy's and the Lefties.
Old Geezer, I am allowed my opinion
Good Luck

Back