New Scope with higher mounts

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
I got a new and somewhat bigger scope. Had to move to higher mounts to get it to fit. I know some of you guys do this in your head. 85 gr HH at 3430fps looks like I'm about 2 inches over the bore center or real close to that. Should I be low at 50 yards to get a 150 zero? I'm am Eastern Hunter and shots tend to be closer than out west. 50 years of hunting and my longest shot was 239 yards. Next farthest was 157. Closest was 12 feet. See what I mean? Just looking for some guidance before I start throwning Hammers all over the countryside. I want to keep it safe and in the berm. Bullseye even better.

Use the Federal Premium ballistics calculator from the website. Punch in you number and you will see all. Typically a 50yd zero and 150yd zero are pretty close to one another shooting such fast projectiles. Really, 50/200yds

Short answer is yes.
Assuming you have a bolt gun, remove the bolt and set the rifle on a good front & rear rest.
Get the target circle centered in the bore, looking from the rear of the receiver - like a peep sight.
Keeping the rifle very still, move your cross hairs to about 1" low at 50 and centered below the bull.
Install the bolt and fire one shot to verify your impact is centered and correct.
Move to 100 and verify impact. You shsould be on paper and very close to your aim point.
Move to 150 and final zero.
Edit: You didn't mention your cartridge or velocity. As BFD mentioned above, velocity will affect your impact points.

I got a new and somewhat bigger scope. Had to move to higher mounts to get it to fit. I know some of you guys do this in your head. 85 gr HH at 3430fps looks like I'm about 2 inches over the bore center or real close to that. Should I be low at 50 yards to get a 150 zero? I'm am Eastern Hunter and shots tend to be closer than out west. 50 years of hunting and my longest shot was 239 yards. Next farthest was 157. Closest was 12 feet. See what I mean? Just looking for some guidance before I start throwning Hammers all over the countryside. I want to keep it safe and in the berm. Bullseye even better.
50/150 for the velocity you gave is so close.
Human error would be greater.
.1" at 50yrds.
Good luck.

Range report. At 100 yards I was kind of high. Like over an inch A few clicks down and one to the left and 3 holes overlapped in a neat little triangle. I'm about a bullet width above dead center and I think that will do just fine. Thanks guys. As always you know it all because you've done it all. Sometimes even the dumb stuff, just like me.

Back