Of these calibers what would you use and why....

joliver

Ok gents, I haven't been on here in a while and just had to create a new profile, so all the old info is gone... anyway, recently retired USAF and took a defense contracting job in Huntsville AL... So that explains the absents. So down here I have access to hunt on Redstone arsenal (38K acreage) Great opportunity! but there are caliber restrictions hunting on a military installation. I don't currently own any of the following nor do I have much experience with any of them. SO I was just going to bow hunt on there.... but this season I watched too many nice deer walk by at 75-100 yards.

here are the only calibers allowed. I think I want to buy a nice break open single shot to keep cost down. but a bolt gun or leaver action is legal.

Weapons and Ammunition.
(1) The only straight-wall cartridge rifles allowed (No AR platform or handgun) are as follows: (357 magnum, 44 magnum, 45 Long Colt, 444 Marlin, 45-70 Govt., 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster). Shotguns-for deer/turkey (20 gauge –10 gauge), shotguns for small/other game (.410 – 10 gauge), muzzleloaders, pellet rifles and archery equipment may be used for hunting.

Welcome back!
Joe and les had great luck with the cva Scout in 45/70 might be something that you can look at.
I have a rossi 92 in 44mag with a reflex sight that you can bang steel at 100 pretty easy.
What ever you look at sounds like fun.

Attachments

• 20210406_061822.jpg
    20210406_061822.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
Yeah, I'm thinking .45-70... but a .350 Legend with some of those 125gr hammers could be fun to play with... I've honestly never considered any of them. I usually like fast bottlenecks. I'm a big fan of hammers in 28 nosler. I hate that I can't use my 300 blk out....

45/70 in a lever gun. But with factory availability in my area, I'd personly go 350 legend and 450BM which is excessively stocked wherever you go. Because every box of factory ammo comes with 20rnds of primed cases ready to be loaded with Hammers 

1st: 45-70
2nd: 45-70
3rd: 45-70

And, if none of those work out I’d settle for the 45-70.

Oh, I forgot to add the “Why” part…. Because…250 gr Shock Hammer is a screamer in the 45-70, even out of a short barreled lever gun.

Last edited:
I've shot 8 deer with the 44 Mag in a lever action. It was OK, but doesn't come close to the 45/70. For the money you can't beat the CVA Scout. They are accurate and have a good trigger. Joe and I bored ours out to 45/90, but if you are looking for a two hundred yard rifle you don't need to mess around like we did. With a single shot you can shoot this wicked set-up!

Attachments

• 403 hammer 2.jpg
    403 hammer 2.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 15
If you want to spend some money, I just love my new Ruger-Marlin 45/70 lever action. I've owned 30 plus levers and this is the one I really enjoy the most. I've tricked it out a bit,and with a good brake it is a pleasure to shoot.

Attachments

• Ruger-Martin.jpg
    Ruger-Martin.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Weapons and Ammunition.
(1) The only straight-wall cartridge rifles allowed (No AR platform or handgun) are as follows: (357 magnum, 44 magnum, 45 Long Colt, 444 Marlin, 45-70 Govt., 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster). Shotguns-for deer/turkey (20 gauge –10 gauge), shotguns for small/other game (.410 – 10 gauge), muzzleloaders, pellet rifles and archery equipment may be used for hunting.
I have some experience with a few of these. I’ve shot whitetails with the 357 mag and 44 mag in revolvers. Close ranges, 60 yards or less. They killed surprisingly well though little to no blood trails and they always ran a few yards. I’ve shot several deer with a 20 gauge pump shotgun with open sights. Smooth bore, full bore lead slugs. Most were well under a 100 yards. Mostly good results. I also shot a couple deer with a bolt action 20 gauge. Rifled barrel, scope and sabot slugs. 130 yards and 150 yards. I had good results. I’ve shot several deer with a 12 gauge auto loader, rifled barrel, scope and sabot slugs. Out to 150 yards but most under 100. I shot several deer with a percussion cap, black powder, rifled barrel, open sights with round ball and maxi hunter slugs. Then inline Muzzloader, pyrodex, scope, rifled barrel sabot bullets. This past season I shot my first deer with a smokeless muzzleloader. Scoped rifle with no sabot.

I just recently bought a 350 legend and started working up loads for it. It’s a cva scout. I am going to buy a cva scout 444 marlin next. I have access to a 450 bushmaster that I’ve shot several times but never hunted with it.

So for me there are pros and cons to all, well maybe not the smooth bore shotgun with slugs and the percussion cap muzzleloader. Probably more cons when compared to the rest of the firearms.

A shotgun with a rifled barrel and sabot slugs can be effective but slug designs can be hit and miss. Many hunters claim most of the sabot slugs are too hard and don’t expand enough. Recoil can be an issue unless shooting a gas operated system. Also finding an accurate slug in your barrel can be challenging, especially with recent availability. I’d say a 150 yards is my max.

Pistol cartridges in a rifle would be fun but limit your range.

Muzzleloaders, well they have been my go to for years until IL recently made straight walled cartridges legal. Some muzzleloaders using pyrodex pellets can be very accurate but also have significant recoil. And they need cleaned regularly. By far, a smokeless muzzleloader with a muzzle break is the way to go if legal and buying a muzzleloader.

The 444 marlin and the 45-70 both headspace off the rim of the cartridge at the base. The 350 legend and the 450 bushmaster headspace off of the case mouth because they have a rebated rim. The 350 legend has the least recoil of this group and great ballistics. But the 350 and the 450 can be problematic to hand load for with hammers. They need to be crimped because of case fill and the type of powder used but still have enough case mouth diameter to headspace properly. So if loading cup and core any of this group is great. If loading hammers I’d recommend the 444marlin or 45-70.

So the easy button for me is the 444 marlin or 45-70 when it comes to hand loading hammers. If loading cup and core then 350, 450, 444, 45-70 or a smokeless muzzleloader would be great.

That’s all I have time for now. Hope it helps
Kneedeep

I've shot 8 deer with the 44 Mag in a lever action. It was OK, but doesn't come close to the 45/70. For the money you can't beat the CVA Scout. They are accurate and have a good trigger. Joe and I bored ours out to 45/90, but if you are looking for a two hundred yard rifle you don't need to mess around like we did. With a single shot you can shoot this wicked set-up!
Ooooh, that looks like fun for an old Sharps...

I have some experience with a few of these. I’ve shot whitetails with the 357 mag and 44 mag in revolvers. Close ranges, 60 yards or less. They killed surprisingly well though little to no blood trails and they always ran a few yards. I’ve shot several deer with a 20 gauge pump shotgun with open sights. Smooth bore, full bore lead slugs. Most were well under a 100 yards. Mostly good results. I also shot a couple deer with a bolt action 20 gauge. Rifled barrel, scope and sabot slugs. 130 yards and 150 yards. I had good results. I’ve shot several deer with a 12 gauge auto loader, rifled barrel, scope and sabot slugs. Out to 150 yards but most under 100. I shot several deer with a percussion cap, black powder, rifled barrel, open sights with round ball and maxi hunter slugs. Then inline Muzzloader, pyrodex, scope, rifled barrel sabot bullets. This past season I shot my first deer with a smokeless muzzleloader. Scoped rifle with no sabot.

I just recently bought a 350 legend and started working up loads for it. It’s a cva scout. I am going to buy a cva scout 444 marlin next. I have access to a 450 bushmaster that I’ve shot several times but never hunted with it.

So for me there are pros and cons to all, well maybe not the smooth bore shotgun with slugs and the percussion cap muzzleloader. Probably more cons when compared to the rest of the firearms.

A shotgun with a rifled barrel and sabot slugs can be effective but slug designs can be hit and miss. Many hunters claim most of the sabot slugs are too hard and don’t expand enough. Recoil can be an issue unless shooting a gas operated system. Also finding an accurate slug in your barrel can be challenging, especially with recent availability. I’d say a 150 yards is my max.

Pistol cartridges in a rifle would be fun but limit your range.

Muzzleloaders, well they have been my go to for years until IL recently made straight walled cartridges legal. Some muzzleloaders using pyrodex pellets can be very accurate but also have significant recoil. And they need cleaned regularly. By far, a smokeless muzzleloader with a muzzle break is the way to go if legal and buying a muzzleloader.

The 444 marlin and the 45-70 both headspace off the rim of the cartridge at the base. The 350 legend and the 450 bushmaster headspace off of the case mouth because they have a rebated rim. The 350 legend has the least recoil of this group and great ballistics. But the 350 and the 450 can be problematic to hand load for with hammers. They need to be crimped because of case fill and the type of powder used but still have enough case mouth diameter to headspace properly. So if loading cup and core any of this group is great. If loading hammers I’d recommend the 444marlin or 45-70.

So the easy button for me is the 444 marlin or 45-70 when it comes to hand loading hammers. If loading cup and core then 350, 450, 444, 45-70 or a smokeless muzzleloader would be great.

That’s all I have time for now. Hope it helps
Kneedeep
Thank you! Excellent explanation! I tell myself with every shorter range rifle I buy that I'm just going to shoot cup and core bullets. but eventually they all get swapped to hammers..

1st: 45-70
2nd: 45-70
3rd: 45-70

And, if none of those work out I’d settle for the 45-70.

Oh, I forgot to add the “Why” part…. Because…250 gr Shock Hammer is a screamer in the 45-70, even out of a short barreled lever gun.
What powders are you having success with for that 250gr Shock hammer? Going to see if I can source the powder for it.

Welcome back joliver! Too bad the 28 isn't allowed. A favorite of mine for sure.
I just did my daily check of Powder Valley with no powder source success. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Welcome back joliver! Too bad the 28 isn't allowed. A favorite of mine for sure.
I just did my daily check of Powder Valley with no powder source success. I hope you find what you are looking for.
I'm not sure what powders I would be looking for. thats what I was asking. I have a alot of powder for the 28 and my 300 blk. I have no idea what I'd be looking for in .45-70.

Joliver,
Have looked at the new 360 Buckhammer? Its a straight walled blown out 30/30.
It shoots about 200-250 fps mv more than 350 legend.
This with a 140gn sh bullet looks intriguing@ 2600-2700 fps
Not to take anything from the 45/70!
This is new and not a lot of rifles out there yet. But Henry says they will have several in levers and a single shot also.
Others like cva scout and ruger no.1 to come from articles I've read.
Just another thought to make things a bit more confusing 🤔

Joliver,
Have looked at the new 360 Buckhammer? Its a straight walled blown out 30/30.
It shoots about 200-250 fps mv more than 350 legend.
This with a 140gn sh bullet looks intriguing@ 2600-2700 fps
Not to take anything from the 45/70!
This is new and not a lot of rifles out there yet. But Henry says they will have several in levers and a single shot also.
Others like cva scout and ruger no.1 to come from articles I've read.
Just another thought to make things a bit more confusing 🤔
I haven't heard of that yet. But that regulation isn't saying that all straight walled cartridges are allowed. It is only those listed above unless the installation commander approves them. There is a board that convenes every year before hunting season and reviews the regulations. however 350 Legend was just added to the list this year and I don't think a whole lot of effort goes into it... Mission/safety first, hunting is just a bonus. Unless we get a gun/hunting nerd for an installation commander.

In this order.......45/70, 444 marlin, 350 legend, 45 long colt. If you are recoil sensitive, go with the last two. Both the 45/70 and 444 marlin will have quite a bit more felt recoil....but can easily reach out to 200-300 yards while the 350 legend and 45 long colt are 100-150 yard rifles max. This is just my opinion. I love my lever guns so I would go that route, though a single shot in any of the above mentioned would be functional as well.

What powders are you having success with for that 250gr Shock hammer? Going to see if I can source the powder for it.
I used IMR4198 in a pressure test and got some impressive velocities out of my Marlin 1895. Unfortunately, I can't find my notes and I apparently never transferred the data to my spreadsheet last fall. Oh well, guess I gotta load some more up and shoot them...darnit....LOL

Back