Of these calibers what would you use and why....

Ok, running .357 Max with 140SH @2700. Nope not a typo, load data posted up. Encore, 24" 1:14tw, MGM barrel, Pro Hunter contour. Can't wait to try it out on "anything"! Well 4 legs that is...This little cartridge has always had a bigger bite than expected.

But I do love my 870 slug gun, 24" Hastings 1:34tw bull barrel, Remington thumbhole stock set, Timney trigger springs upgrade (2.5 lb trigger) with Rich Knosters (RIP my friend) Hammerhead slug. Honest 2" groups or better at 100 yds. Hit like freight train. I have shot these slugs for close to 20 years and fairly easy to load. Great news that the business was sold and these slugs will be back on market.
3BF240E0-83C5-4A39-898C-877F2887D119.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are some beautiful roll crimps, Muddy. You did Good!
I bet I have roll crimped over 1K slugs in last 18+ years! Early ones would win ugliest contest! Now use std metallic loading principles which has brought really good consistency. Consistent wad pressure equals much better accuracy. Heck made my own finished hull gauge to verify finished length. HOAL? Hull over all length?😂

Muddy,
Out of curiosity, what kind of velocity do you get from your slug loads?
I load them no different than metallic, the fastest may not be most accurate. So they are 1 1/4oz @ 1450fps. Shot them up to 1600 but accuracy dropped off. Twist is big deal no different. Honest 2" groups at 100 yds. Hit like freight train is understatement. I have killed some really nice bucks with them. When you shoot a deer, the impact is staggering to see. This was last buck I killed with this slug in 2019 on public land in MI. He was 75 yds from parking lot😂. I figured out he was bedding in small wetland right next to parking lot. He came out to chase doe and I said Hi....
82A8BEA5-66B9-4B9D-A2D8-C57E22ED1FCD.jpeg

BTW Alliant Pro Reach is the RL26 of the shotgun slug world IMO!! You can get better velocity with less powder! Oh great, now this will gone too !!! I switched over to it for slugs years ago and was amazed at performance!

Funny tale, was shooting rifles thru chronograph. Up next was slug gun. Oh oh. Forgot to readjust height. Oh oh. I needed another chronograph to chronograph my chronograph going downrange.!! It was impressive being hit by 1 1/2 oz slug at 20'. Called direct to order another one. Lady said maybe repairable? Told her 1 1/2 oz slug, she said new one on its way!😂.

BTW Alliant Pro Reach is the RL26 of the shotgun slug world IMO!! You can get better velocity with less powder! Oh great, now this will gone too !!! I switched over to it for slugs years ago and was amazed at performance!

Funny tale, was shooting rifles thru chronograph. Up next was slug gun. Oh oh. Forgot to readjust height. Oh oh. I needed another chronograph to chronograph my chronograph going downrange.!! It was impressive being hit by 1 1/2 oz slug at 20'. Called direct to order another one. Lady said maybe repairable? Told her 1 1/2 oz slug, she said new one on its way!😂.
Ouch!
I've blown the shades off my Chrony before, but never actually shot it!
Now I mostly just use my Labradar that sits safely next to the barrel, not in front of it.
If I wanted to be dead quick, I'd ask you to shoot me with your slug gun!

PARAMOUNT® PRO LONG RANGE MUZZLELOADER
Paramount-PRO-logo-01.png

The PARAMOUNT™ and PARAMOUNT™ PRO are unlike any other muzzleloading rifle on the market. These rifles were developed and designed to handle “super-magnum” propellant charges – and thus provides the higher velocities necessary for killing shots at 300 yards and beyond.

The PARAMOUNT™ PRO is CVA’s newest addition to the very popular PARAMOUNT™ line. For 2020, the PARAMOUNT™ PRO comes upgraded from the current PARAMOUNT™ model to be built on a custom quality Grayboe™ Fiberglass Stock, including a TriggerTech™ trigger, and finished off with a Cerakote™ finish. Also offered for 2020 will be a .50 caliber PARAMOUNT™ PRO Colorado version and includes a set of Williams™ Peep Sights.

View the Paramount Owner’s Manual Here.

SHOP ALL PARAMOUNT PRO RIFLE

FEATURED PARAMOUNT PRO RIFLE​

PR3511N-CVA-Paramount-Pro-v3.png

PR3520N-Paramount-Pro-Open-Sights.png

PARAMOUNT PRO COLORADO CERAKOTE/NITRIDE – .50 CAL. 26″ THREADED BARREL WITH WILLIAMS PEEP SIGHT
$1667.95
MORE

CVA​

SPECS​

• .45 and .50 Calibers
  • Free Floating Barrel
  • Threaded 3/4x20 (.45 cal), 3/4x24 (.50cal)
  • Nitride® treated Stainless Steel
  • 8.75 lbs. Total Weight
  • PowerBelt® ELR bullets
  • VariFlame® Breech Plug
  • Trap Door Feature
  • Grayboe™ fiberglass stock
  • TriggerTech™ Trigger
  • Self-Deploying Compact Ramrod
  • One-Piece Range Rod
  • Quake® CLAW® Sling
  • Lifetime Warranty*
  • Scope Not Included

I'd use 45-70. I've had a few of them. Currently a Ruger #1 with 26" C weight barrel. I've been using CEB 260gr Maximus with literally a caseful of RL7. Ruger #1 45-70s are notorious for short throats. Punching the chamber to 45-90 is my next project. I am definitely looking forward to trying Hammers in my #1.

Back