Old 30-30 sight adjustment for Hammer Bullets

KING358

Hey folks,

I've got a question about my 1949 Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. I recently purchased the rifle, and would like to hunt with it a little bit this year. I loaded up some 120 gr. lever shock hammers, I have them shooting around 2,650 FPS. I am having trouble adjusting the sights to get the bullets on paper, even at 25 yards. I first sighted in the rifle at 25 yards with some Berry's 150 gr FP bullets that I loaded up for plinking, and they were just about dead on with the rear sight at mid height. When I went to the Hammers, I was shooting very high. I ended up bringing the rear sight all the way down, and they were still shooting about 8" high at 25 yards. I understand that for it to be sighted in at 100 yards, it should be a little high at 25 yards, but 8" seems excessive. Especially when I plan to use the rifle for short-range work in thicker areas. Anyone have any suggestions to get the rifle shooting closer to point of aim at 25 yards? I don't really want to permanently modify the sights or add a scope. Just looking to keep it a simple rifle, mainly for plinking and looking original, but able to take out hunting on the occasional day.

Hey folks,

I've got a question about my 1949 Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. I recently purchased the rifle, and would like to hunt with it a little bit this year. I loaded up some 120 gr. lever shock hammers, I have them shooting around 2,650 FPS. I am having trouble adjusting the sights to get the bullets on paper, even at 25 yards. I first sighted in the rifle at 25 yards with some Berry's 150 gr FP bullets that I loaded up for plinking, and they were just about dead on with the rear sight at mid height. When I went to the Hammers, I was shooting very high. I ended up bringing the rear sight all the way down, and they were still shooting about 8" high at 25 yards. I understand that for it to be sighted in at 100 yards, it should be a little high at 25 yards, but 8" seems excessive. Especially when I plan to use the rifle for short-range work in thicker areas. Anyone have any suggestions to get the rifle shooting closer to point of aim at 25 yards? I don't really want to permanently modify the sights or add a scope. Just looking to keep it a simple rifle, mainly for plinking and looking original, but able to take out hunting on the occasional day.
Sounds like you're going to need a taller front sight. You can always put the old one back in. These guys make some nice sights.

Regards

Sounds like you're going to need a taller front sight. You can always put the old one back in. These guys make some nice sights.

Regards
Thanks! These look they would work underneath the factory hood, and not change the look of the rifle. How do I measure the height of the front sight I currently have? Is it simply top to bottom of the dovetail?

How's your trigonometry? There's probably a sight calculator online somewhere. It hurts my brain. If you want a bead it's best to err on the high side as you can always raise your rear sight. If you get a blade do like Joe said. :)

Regards

I put the Skinner peep sights on my 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun. They are great sights, customized for gun models, with a number of options. I find the rear peep to be much better than the old buckhorn rear sight, plus it mounts on the rear of the receiver rather than on the barrel, giving you a much longer sighting radius. Their blueing liquid works great for after you file down a taller front sight.

Going out on a limb here but 8in difference at 25yds doesnt sound like a gunsight issue...

I loaded the Hornady 100 gr half jacket early in my loading career and had the same issue. I had a Lyman tang sight on the gun at that time and it had plenty of additional adjustment but I remember it hitting something like 10-12” higher than the regular loads. I’m going to say that it has something to do with the harmonics of the barrel/tube mag/forend.
I’m pretty sure the Lyman sight is still available or if you want a used one let me know. Certainly a traditional option that works well.

I'll have to figure something out for my 44mag super redhawk. Its rear sight is bottomed out and still shoots 8" too high with the 205s, but 10-12" higher than other loads. I'd like to keep it "open" sights for as many years as my eyes will let me. I should take it out to 100 to see where it hits, lol.

Back