Old guy shooting prone needs suggestions

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
Wow.........this was an eye opener. Got invited to a 1000 yard prone shooting match and was asked if I could show up in 8 days. Sure no problem, I have more than a few rifles that will go the distance and my favorite has a box of ammo loaded and ready. Dug the brand new shooting mat out of the closet and blew the dust off it. Well hell...............seems I haven't done any prone shooting since before the additional weight around the middle and more importantly, since the herniated disc in my neck. First day I couldn't get behind my 28 at all and struggled to get behind my 06. Been working on it in the back yard and am getting some of the kinks ironed out. Taller bipod and taller rear bag are a must. Fine tuning how I get my carcass positioned behind the rifle and was able to put 8 out of 13 rounds into a 9" circle painted on our 965 yard ram this morning. Only one missed the ram completely and that was all pilot error. Problem is I am only good for a bout 5 rounds before my neck starts raising hell. Max rounds for this match is 10 so I'm hoping with a little more work and exercise I can make it work, either that or last 4 or 5 rounds will be rapid fire. :) Shoot is on Saturday and I have to save Friday for driving so I don't have a lot of time left to get sorted.

Any and all advice appreciated

Regards

Gday mountainman
2 shots are all that required I heard 🤔😜🤣

I think you’re on the right track
Now the lady I’m seeing @ present to help my back said one important thing that’s helping a little & that’s when it starts to hurt on the first occasion get out of that position ( my exercise regimen involves a couple of different types of exercises ) & relax don’t push the pain level then just repartition & over time your time tolerance of pain should be lengthened

That’s all theory @ present but it’s worth a go 🤷‍♂️so maybe it may get yourself into that prone position inside as need some comfort right 😎& set up before breakfast do a drill then have breakfast & repeat drill then repeat lunch & tea times or just random times throughout the day

Muscle memory in another form I guess 🤷‍♂️
Looking forward to those 2 shots being the only ones 😎😍
Cheers

Confirm scope eye relief is the right distance for shooting prone and the height isn’t too tall. It’s typically slightly farther back than shooting bench, not by much but enough that will cause neck strain by having to tip head slightly forward.

Best way to check is get behind rifle prone. Close both eyes, find comfortable cheek weld to shoulder rest. Then open eyes. If you have to realign head for proper ocular alignment (forward, backward, up or downs) your scope isn’t mounted properly for prone shooting.

Confirm scope eye relief is the right distance for shooting prone and the height isn’t too tall. It’s typically slightly farther back than shooting bench, not by much but enough that will cause neck strain by having to tip head slightly forward.

Best way to check is get behind rifle prone. Close both eyes, find comfortable cheek weld to shoulder rest. Then open eyes. If you have to realign head for proper ocular alignment (forward, backward, up or downs) your scope isn’t mounted properly for prone shooting.
This is where the adjustable cheek rest is key as well.

I appreciate everyone's input. I should have mentioned stock has adjustable cheek rest and LOP. Rifle can manage a 1 moa cold bore hit at 1K off of a bench if the pilot is paying attention. When shooting prone the only problem is the linkage between the stock and the ground. Been working on it pretty hard and managed to get stiff and sore. Going to take tomorrow off and load ammo then shoot Wednesday and Thursday. Friday I'll be driving so the next shot I fire after that will be at the competition.

It would have perhaps been nice to be able to take the 28 Nosler due to obvious ballistic advantages but what the hell, it'll be more fun if I pull it off with a 30-06. Besides, it don't resemble your granddaddy's 06 ;)

Regards

The problem with a neck disc is in prone you are flexing neck against the disc that is problematic. Then the fun begins. Pain is probable, numbness in either hand or both.

🙋‍♂️ I have herniated disc in neck that I have to be careful as well. It slid back into place but can flare up. No looking straight up at all or else the fun begins.

I am thinking setting up rifle minimizing being prone as long as possible to reduce neck flex, is prob only solution. Once prone, go thru shot sequence, shoot, turn over on back so neck is not flexing. Don't fall asleep. Roll back over, rinse repeat on shot sequence. The less the neck is flexed, the better you can protect it.

Mountainman, keep your bipod and torso high. Stay on the elbows, not flats of the arms. Sounds counterintuitive, when compared/opposed to shooting off the flats of the lower triceps in a sitting position. In the prone, the pointy elbows don't hinder. This also keeps the neck up and neck fatigue less.

Hey, it's been kinda quiet Mountainman.
You OK?
How'd the shoot go?
Was it at least fun?
The shoot isn't until Saturday. I've been working on it and have finally got a position where I can shoot prone for more than one or two rounds and am able to spot my misses. Painted a 9" circle on the 965 yard ram and have been practicing on that. I don't hit it every shot but I scare the hell out of it on most :)

Regards

Back