OOPS!! More 350 Legend Experience!

I believe the trim to length is important as the firing pin can push the entire round forward until it makes contact, if the trim length is too short.
This!!!
There is no doubt in my mind this is one of those cartridges that has a very unique specification requirement! This is no different than a bottleneck FL sized too much resulting in case driving forward due to too much FL sizing! Causing false pressure!

Dang, no wonder I’m the only guy I know messing with this round. It’s because I’m the dumbest of the lot!!! Hahahaha
So what has the trim to length been revised to? 1.710”? The bore scope is a great idea, I’ll have to get mine out.

I almost did’t post all this because I knew there had been a lot of talk about it that I had read in prior posts. Glad I did though as you guys are answering my questions once again!

The crimp versus brass headspace in a bolt gun may end up being an interesting decision. Does the crimp interfere with proper brass headspacing on the rim in a bolt gun? I'd really like to see data either way. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So this may be a dumb thought. Correct me if my line of thinking is wrong.
You have a once fired case.
If you were FL sizing you would adjust your sizing due to bump the should .002”.
So why wouldn’t you just trim .002 off a fired 350?

So this may be a dumb thought. Correct me if my line of thinking is wrong.
You have a once fired case.
If you were FL sizing you would adjust your sizing due to bump the should .002”.
So why wouldn’t you just trim .002 off a fired 350?
It's a straight wall so you are not bumping anything. IMO, your target is the case length to maintain best headspace on rim. This is where others have (@BFD) have suggested bore scope to confirm max case length to maintain best headspace off case rim. It's a crazy cartridge realizing the headspace is royal PITA off the case rim. Maybe testing case length by using bolt to close if you don't have a borescope? Every chamber is unique so every one should be determined for case length.

It's a straight wall so you are not bumping anything. IMO, your target is the case length to maintain best headspace on rim. This is where others have (@BFD) have suggested bore scope to confirm max case length to maintain best headspace off case rim. It's a crazy cartridge realizing the headspace is royal PITA off the case rim. Maybe testing case length by using bolt to close if you don't have a borescope? Every chamber is unique so every one should be determined for case length.
So you are saying that the brass is going to stretch past the headspace cut in the chamber. My thought was that Brass would stop at that ridge the case mouth is supposed to headspace on. Like the shoulder of a chamber. Yes every chamber would be different but consistent, correct?
Or is this headspace method not near that consistent?

So you are saying that the brass is going to stretch past the headspace cut in the chamber. My thought was that Brass would stop at that ridge the case mouth is supposed to headspace on. Like the shoulder of a chamber. Yes every chamber would be different but consistent, correct?
Or is this headspace method not near that consistent?
It might.

A bottleneck you establish the headspace off the shoulder. The 350L uses the case length as the headspace off the mouth of the rim. I will ask @kneedeep and @Snox801 to jump in as resident experts. It's really no different since you are relying upon a brass measurement to set the headspace. If the case length too long, no different than bottleneck measurements too long that it can increase pressure. Add in bullet jump to lands and possible double whammy. If case length too short, no different than a bottleneck being oversized and driven forward by primer/firing pin. I bet this case length headspace measurement is mission critical. I've read on other forums that too heavy of a crimp allows case mouth to slide past the headspace length resulting in pressure. Balancing act I have read. Again, @kneedeep please jump in.

This is my basic relative understanding of the 350L and hope these guys jump in with reality check.

One of the ways to set headspace set back in bottlenecks is to remove firing pin to achieve floppy bolt for extreme sensitive of cycling bolt on a piece of brass. You can "feel" the bolt touching the brass in cam over. I don't think this is really any different setting headspace case length in the 350L? Instead of setting back shoulder for free floppy bolt, you are finding straight wall case length that fits your rifle.

Why not?🤷🏻‍♂️

Thoughts? Comments? All wet? Shut up? I'd really like to learn the best way to load the 350L! I have a friend that has one to load.

So my two big takeaways as of right now.

- Re-visit trim to length
- crimp and check case mouth diameter post crimp.
Your above statement is what I’d do.
IMG_5581.jpeg

As far as saami revision they revised the chamber spec not the cartridge dimension. Different chamber dimensions can come from old chamberings vs new as well as poorly set head space by the gunsmith installing the barrel.

I believe the one excessively long chamber I had an issue with was poor gunsmithing.

Good luck
Kneedeep

I think that sounds like a plausible method. As long as the case mouth used was the correct size to “catch” the chamber wall, I don’t see why not?

The groups you posted are great. Your initial issue may have come from soft brass not holding the bullet in place during primer ignition and or the primer change causing the same issue.

I still think you had to be into the lands or right at them with your initial oal

The groups you posted are great. Your initial issue may have come from soft brass not holding the bullet in place during primer ignition and or the primer change causing the same issue.

I still think you had to be into the lands or right at them with your initial oal
I believe that both of those could easily be true. That is the OAL I use in CVA scout and have had no issues seating the bullet out like that to maximize case capacity and get to 2800 fps

I know when we designed the bullet it was very particular to bullet dimensions in order to get it to feed. The Legend bullet is designed to have the case mouth on the shoulder of the bullet. There is no crimp ring there but it can be crimped there. The copper is not too hard to crimp into.

Total left field here, but the 350L, even 16" barrel doesn't require hearing protection while hunting. One of the quietest rounds I've shot.

I know when we designed the bullet it was very particular to bullet dimensions in order to get it to feed. The Legend bullet is designed to have the case mouth on the shoulder of the bullet. There is no crimp ring there but it can be crimped there. The copper is not too hard to crimp into.
Good to know. So, seating them out was and is not the intention. I’m just getting away with it in my CVA. Check. I do love the terminal performance of the 125’s. They flatten deer out inside of 150 yds. Especially when scootin’ at 2800 MV

Total left field here, but the 350L, even 16" barrel doesn't require hearing protection while hunting. One of the quietest rounds I've shot.
It really isn’t bad at all. Much better than a 450 Bushmaster with a break on it! Still doesn’t beat my .357 mag in a Rossi R92 with a 24” Octagon barrel for ear friendly deer killing!

It really isn’t bad at all. Much better than a 450 Bushmaster with a break on it! Still doesn’t beat my .357 mag in a Rossi R92 with a 24” Octagon barrel for ear friendly deer killing!
Both you guys make my ears hurt. As a resident deaf guy. I can say that I hate shooting anything without hearing protection. Heck I even got some new cans for the legend and my 12 gauge. I still wear sound gear with the cans. As much as I’d like to not be able to hear my wife complain about spending that money. I still wanna hear the game in the woods.

Both you guys make my ears hurt. As a resident deaf guy. I can say that I hate shooting anything without hearing protection. Heck I even got some new cans for the legend and my 12 gauge. I still wear sound gear with the cans. As much as I’d like to not be able to hear my wife complain about spending that money. I still wanna hear the game in the woods.
I can’t argue with your logic. Makes perfect sense. Just haven’t made the leap to suppressors yet.

Back