Power Hammer bullets stick in seating stem

mopardoctor

I’m having problems with PH 30 cal 150 grain bullets sticking in the seating stem of my RCBS seating die. Anyone else had this problem? Hornady dies have interchangeable stems so it might be time to buy a new die set.

I think it would be cheaper if you ordered a new seating stem for the dies that you have and then alter it to accommodate the nose profile of that particular Hammer bullet.

You can do this by loading one then ensure that it's perfectly straight. Fill the hollow point with some type of clay or Play-Doh. Then coat this bullet and the neck of the case with some type of release agent like auto wax or pure lanolin. Now remove your seating stem and scuff the inside up. Now mix up some two part epoxy and fill approximately 1/5 of the cavity that you scuffed with epoxy ensuring that you got it on all the sides now let it get to where it's on the stiff side. 5 minute epoxy is a pain in the butt but it can be done, 20 minute epoxy is probably your friend on this exercise. While stiff but still pliable assemble your dye and install the dye to its proper location ensuring that your stem is above the bullet tip. Now slowly turn the screw down imparting the profile of the hammer bullet into the epoxy and let it stiffen overnight. If you done everything right the bullet will release from the seating stem, giving you the perfect profile for a straight power hammer.

I hope this helps

Joe

I think it would be cheaper if you ordered a new seating stem for the dies that you have and then alter it to accommodate the nose profile of that particular Hammer bullet.

You can do this by loading one then ensure that it's perfectly straight. Fill the hollow point with some type of clay or Play-Doh. Then coat this bullet and the neck of the case with some type of release agent like auto wax or pure lanolin. Now remove your seating stem and scuff the inside up. Now mix up some two part epoxy and fill approximately 1/5 of the cavity that you scuffed with epoxy ensuring that you got it on all the sides now let it get to where it's on the stiff side. 5 minute epoxy is a pain in the butt but it can be done, 20 minute epoxy is probably your friend on this exercise. While stiff but still pliable assemble your dye and install the dye to its proper location ensuring that your stem is above the bullet tip. Now slowly turn the screw down imparting the profile of the hammer bullet into the epoxy and let it stiffen overnight. If you done everything right the bullet will release from the seating stem, giving you the perfect profile for a straight power hammer.

I hope this helps

Joe
I had to do this with my 280 AI Hornady dies and the 7mm 131 HH. Would stick so hard even with the vld seating stem that it would pull the bullet out. Works great now.

Back