Hammer Time Executive member
Share em here folks!
carsyn22 Avatar
carsyn22

Dec 21, 2021 at 7:06pm
Steve Davis, harperc, and 5 more like this
Post Options
Options Select Post Deselect Post Report Post Back to Top
Haven't got a name for this but made it outta my head and we've enjoyed it a couple times this fall already.

Venison backstrap or outside round or any nice big lean piece for that matter. Remove silver tendon linings and fat so you have basically just meat. Then fillet it out half to 3/4 inch think as if you were unrolling it. Approx 1% by weight of salt and brown sugar each for a dry cure rub and let sit in fridge for 2 days. Then pull it out, rinse and pat dry, let it sit uncovered in the fridge for another day. then slice ripe jalapeño onto the unrolled meat, I did one layer and vary the heat by the thickness of the slices, follow that up with a generous dusting of parmesan cheese. Now roll it up, tie it and grill. All I have is a propane BBQ so I had the gas pretty low and put some oak splinters on the briquettes for a bit of flavour, I cooked them until the interior temp reached 140F which took roughly 20 min and resulted in about medium well done.

I will see if I can find a picture to add....

Edit: apparently I didn't take any pictures of this, oh well I guess I'll just have to make it again!
hockeynick39 Avatar
hockeynick39

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:16pm
harperc, riceman, and 3 more like this
Post Options
Not sure how many New Yorkers from around Champlain, Chateguay, Altona, Mooers Forks, or Plattsburgh are on here, but here is the recipe for my aunt's Michigan sauce recipe. For those not familiar with this sauce, it is a tomato based meat sauce that is fairly thick and used to top hot dogs. Don't ask me why it's called Michigan sauce, nobody from Michigan has ever heard of it and no-one in my family can tell me where the name came from. You can also eat it just plain or cold, it's very versatile. You can also garnish it with fresh chopped onion and a good brown mustard.

2 lbs ground meat
1 large onion (chopped)
1 or two garlic cloves (minced)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 lg can tomato sauce (29 oz)
1 lg can tomato puree (29 oz)
1 can tomato paste (12 oz)

1. In large frying pan, warm up some olive oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil and then add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and ground meat over medium heat. Add the spices and cook until onions are translucent and tender.

2. Transfer to either a 6 qt pot for stove top, crock pot, or insta-pot. Then add the tomato paste, tomato puree, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and stir until blended well.

3. Cook mixture on simmer or low, stirring occasionally. Meat sauce should be very fine and slightly thick.

Enjoy!
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:19pm
harperc, farleg, and 2 more like this
Post Options
Options Edit Post Select Post Deselect Post Report Post Delete Post Back to Top

Just tried this one the other night.... having to try it again tonight.
farleg Avatar
farleg
Platinum Member

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:35am
harperc, riceman, and 3 more like this
Post Options
Gday
Ok meatbuck you’ve dragged me in after that last post

How did it rate on your favourite list 🤷‍♂️

Here’s my favourite
Nothing fancy just a great steak sandwich IMO
Slice brown onion & cook in butter
Thinly slice some backstrap & sprinkle some salt over a couple minutes prior to cooking as per pic 1
Same pan or bbq plate as onions were in / on now get really hot add meat & cook until edges start to turn colour like pic 2
Turn until moisture comes to surface then put on fresh bread with a touch of homemade relish or sauce of choice & onions on top with another piece of bread to top it off & your good to go
Washing it down with the elixir of life never hurts either

Sometimes I mix it up instead of salt I use ginseng spice

Cheers
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:37am
harperc and farleg like this
Post Options
farleg said:
Gday

Here’s my favourite
Thinly slice some backstrap & sprinkle some salt over a couple minutes prior to cooking as per pic 1 View Attachment
Same pan or bbq plate as onions were in / on now get really hot add meat & cook until edges start to turn colour like pic 2 View Attachment
Turn until moisture comes to surface then put on fresh bread with a touch of homemade relish or sauce of choice & onions on top with another piece of bread to top it off & your good to go

Cheers

Don’t forget the vegemite! Haha
It was up there on the list, easy top ten. Maybe top 5.
mausermike Avatar
mausermike

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:55pm
harperc, farleg, and 2 more like this
Post Options
There's a great video on meateater.com on how to dissect your deer heart into 3 nice steaks. This has become my preferred way to prepare any heart deer elk or otherwise. I typically will then crust those steaks with Montreal Steak Seasoning and then let them sit uncovered in the fridge for a bit while I prep the rest of the meal. Turn your oven on to 275 to preheat, place a probe thermometer in the center of the thickest Steak and place in the oven on a broiler pan. Cook to an internal temp of 120. While your steak is in the oven preheat a cast iron skillet on the stove top. Get it hot, real hot. When you reach 120 (or your desired internal temp for your preferred level of doneness. I like rare) pull the steaks out of the oven and sear quickly on both sides then remove from heat. Place a healthy pat of butter on each Steak and put a lid on the skillet and let the steaks rest until the butter melts. Slice and enjoy.

Attachments:

mausermike Avatar
mausermike

Jan 15, 2022 at 9:20pm
carsyn22, farleg, and 1 more like this
Post Options
Just made a batch of Basque Chorizo. One of my favorite sausages.

3# pork shoulder or pork trim
2# lean red meat, I used venison in this batch but have used duck and goose in the past with similar results.
3/4# of skinless pork back fat.

3tbs salt(kosher, sea salt. Pink Himalayan it doesn't matter)
2tbs coarse ground pepper
1 1/2tbs minced garlic
6tbs sweet paprika or 2tbs of hot paprika if you prefer
4tbs smoked paprika
2tsp Chile powder
1tbs olive oil
1/3 cup of red wine (I prefer merlot but have used ciante as well)

Make sure all your meat is cold. Semi frozen is best for grinding. Put your grinder head assembled in the freezer as well. The colder the better. You can grind to your preferred mince. I run all the meat through my 8mm plate then mix my seasonings in by hand until I begin to get some protein extraction then run it through the same plate a second time and hand mix again. This sausage can be bulk packed fresh or stuffed in natural hog casings. If you plan on casing and smoking make sure and add instacure #1 in the correct ratio for the weight of meat you're using and cook to an internal temp of 160°. Nobody wants botulism. Subtract your instacure from the salt as well or your sausage will be salter than you want.
mausermike Avatar
mausermike

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:23am
meatbuck and andron like this
Post Options
On the menu tonight venison Chile. I start with a pound of cheap fatty bacon cut in 1" squares and fried in a large cast iron skillet. While the bacon is cooking cut up your fresh chillies, I try to get 3 each of whatever available at my local market 2 if they are big like Anaheims. This batch has 3 jalapeños 3 seranos, 3 yellow and 2 Anaheims. Oh and a large Walla Walla sweet onion. When the bacon done remove it from the pan to a crock pot and saute your veggie mix in the bacon grease. While those veggies are doin their thing prep your meat, I put steak in my chili and if you do otherwise you're not right in the head. This batch consists of 2 elk tenderloins and the last chunk of backstrap from the cow elk I killed last year, likely 2# of steak in 1" cubes. When the peppers are tender and onion caramelized they can be transferred to the crock and your skillet turned up a bit, hot enough to sear all your cubed meat on all sides seasoned with salt, pepper and a healthy dollop of minced garlic then transfer to your crock. The rest is canned items which you can adjust to your taste, chili beans, black beans, great northern beans, dark read kidney beans, stewed tomatoes, petite diced tomatoes, tomatoes sauce all added a can at a time till the crock is full. Drain all the beans except for the chili beans. When your crock is nearing full and looking like it's too dry to be chili stop adding the canned goods and top off with strong black coffee, yes coffee. Cover and let simmer all day. Some say my chili is more like a stew with some heat but all agree it's great.
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:39pm
farleg likes this
Post Options
meatbuck said:
farleg said:
Gday

Here’s my favourite
Thinly slice some backstrap & sprinkle some salt over a couple minutes prior to cooking as per pic 1 View Attachment
Same pan or bbq plate as onions were in / on now get really hot add meat & cook until edges start to turn colour like pic 2 View Attachment

Cheers

Don’t forget the vegemite! Haha
It was up there on the list, easy top ten. Maybe top 5.

Update.
Easy top 5. Maybe top 3.

Back