Recommendation for hydration Bladder

cbjr

Hammer Time Executive member
I am looking to buy a new ~3L bladder with a hook or slot(to hang in pack) at the top to put in my Exo K3. Want one with drinking hose. Had an old camelback that fit and hung great. Unfortunately it looked disgusting inside(oops). It always had a plastic-y flavor from new and kinda always hated it. Any recommendations?

I’ve always hated them. Never used them more than a trip or two before they’d taste nasty or pop.

No recommendations here.

I like my Insulated hydra pak. The top opens completely so its much easier to clean. Only have this summer and Archery season using it so far. I have an old msr that keeps going and have bought 2 from kuiu but can't Remember which brand they are. I've used all them in my K2, K3 ,and now K4

I guess I have always been too thirsty to notice my CamelBak tasting like plastic, LOL. I've been using it for 15yrs. I should probably clean it tomorrow! :ROFLMAO::sick:

I guess I have always been too thirsty to notice my CamelBak tasting like plastic, LOL. I've been using it for 15yrs. I should probably clean it tomorrow! :ROFLMAO::sick:
Put a cup of “decent” vodka (is there such a thing?) in there to sterilize it before allowing it to dry. That will help eliminate the growie.

I only prefer to buy Platypus brand now. They screw directly into Sawyer filters for a modular drinking, filtration system. I also pack a Platypus 6 liter water tote backpack hunting to filter in camp from or cook with. Everythings compatible.

I only prefer to buy Platypus brand now. They screw directly into Sawyer filters for a modular drinking, filtration system. I also pack a Platypus 6 liter water tote backpack hunting to filter in camp from or cook with. Everythings compatible.
Ordered that 6l platypus from blackovis a couple months ago. The packaging pictured said 6l but they sent a 2l. The 2l was packaged in the 6l packaging.
Best they could do was a return on the 2l.

Ordered that 6l platypus from blackovis a couple months ago. The packaging pictured said 6l but they sent a 2l. The 2l was packaged in the 6l packaging.
Best they could do was a return on the 2l.
I usually order any hiking gear from rei.com.
But whats interesting is im just now learning Platypus must not be making their 6L water totes anymore. Maybe this had something to do with yiur mixup with Blackovis...

Its a bummer cause a huge water tote really save us trips to the stream on backpack hunts. Then the Sawyer filter just screwed right on for camp access. Was like having the proverbial "kitchen sink" along.
Im going to have to find a new option. Hopefully my existing one will last for a few more years.

I had a cheapie from Walmart for years. Thought I lost the spout so I tossed it. Then found the spout😑. It was a good unit. Think it was a 2gal.

Not so much having a bladder recommendation as much as what I found to "de-oderize" clean bladder. I washing out with peroxide. Seems to keep it fresher than just rinsing out. Plus drying it out completely. PITA to do so. I have strong love-hate relationship with bladders. Including one not in pack....🤔

Good to know re the HydraPak. I should replace my bladder, but like BFD, mine hasn’t made me sick or repulsed me yet!

Does anyone have experience with a Grayl bottle? I got one on the recommendation of someone very much in the know, but I have never used it. Will try it this season, and I plan to take it for the international travel I’ll be doing over the coming years.

I finally pulled mine out to see what I’m carrying. HydraPak Shapechanger 3L. Yes the hose was a little short for some of my packs (Kelty Redwing Tac 45L), but my local outdoors store had quick connect hose extensions that solved that problem.

Have experienced all of the challenges mentioned above with keeping a bladder clean, filling it is a pain unless you take it out of the pack, and if it’s cold out, the tube easily freezes, Really sucks when you’re packing an animal out, needing water badly and can’t get at it because the tube is frozen. For those reasons, I switched to carrying Nalgene bottles this year. Exo makes an insulated Nalgene bottle holder, makes it easier to access, and they are much easier to fill and clean than a bladder. Early season I might still opt for a bladder because it’s so much easier to get a sip of water while you’re on the move, but if there’s a chance of freezing temps I’m taking the bladder out of my pack for sure.

Back