Reloading...A dying art?

I don’t have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Tik Tok. I also don’t game. I do have my own business. Between that, my hobbies, and church, I stay plenty busy. This is not meant to be arrogant at all, but perhaps to point out that I’m kinda an old guy in a young body. 😂
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.
sounds like, like me, you may be a dinosaur as well

I may blow a few minds here, but that’s okay. I’m 26, and have been reloading for 4 years. Started with pistol since that’s the easy stuff. Have gotten into loading rifle in the last two years. I really enjoy it. It’s a great way to unwind after the workday or on a Friday evening.
I don’t have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Tik Tok. I also don’t game. I do have my own business. Between that, my hobbies, and church, I stay plenty busy. This is not meant to be arrogant at all, but perhaps to point out that I’m kinda an old guy in a young body. 😂
😂 haha see I’m not the only one!

You go schmo👍

73 in a couple of months. Duck hunting got me started. We could load better shotgun shells than we could buy,and cheaper. Always retrieve our hulls. Just make sure no feathers were in the hull when you loaded it. Fired one off that just blooped the shot and cup out, racked the slide on the 870 and when air hit the smoldering powder it burned off my eyebrows. 🙄. Ruined two boats and three shotguns in two decades of hunting waterfowl. Now if I get the urge to duck hunt I put on my best clothes, stand in the shower under cold water and tear up hundred dollar bills.

GLTaylor. I know where you live, so you know where this is. I hunted Wiess Lake when it was frozen over, all except the river channel. Frozen launch ramps. 1976 to 1979 time frame Alabama had ice age conditions. Thirty thousand acre hydroelectric lake frozen. All the news media was screaming about the coming ice age. Now we're going to burn up. Don't believe anything they say.

I'm 40, been handloading for 15 years. My dad bought most of the equipment, but never got around to using it. I'm more of a DIY type anyways. I think he got a good deal, as he just makes a phone call and asks for so many boxes of whichever caliber. Obviously I can't do a proper load development this way, but sometimes I get lucky, and it's very accurate. Other times it's 1.5 moa, I suspect I'll inherit most of the ammo I loaded for him.

I may blow a few minds here, but that’s okay. I’m 26, and have been reloading for 4 years. Started with pistol since that’s the easy stuff. Have gotten into loading rifle in the last two years. I really enjoy it. It’s a great way to unwind after the workday or on a Friday evening.
I don’t know if 32 counts as young or not but if it does, here’s another old guy in a young body!

Like you I have no time for social media or video games but that seems to be all most of the blokes I work with care about..

I have been reloading for a little over half my life, I desperately wanted to get into shooting and hunting as a young teen and managed to drag my dad along for the ride. I have been reloading for him ever since!

I was very fortunate to have an incredible mentor to teach me when I started out and I try to pass that on, I teach anyone I find who is interested to learn to reload and I have a number of friends who I help with making their ammo

I have never really bought factory ammo for anything other than .22LR

Somehow I have a friend that decided to get into handloading, i somehow convinced him to use Hammers....
But ive warned about supply shortages but it hasnt sunk in.
The only reason he has primers is because I stockpiled when they came up ( and at considerable expense). his powder tho is still, for now, widely available... and what does he do, buys only 1lb.
I see this again and again! Everyone just wants to buy 100 primers at a time… those people haven’t been able to load for a couple of years now

I see this again and again! Everyone just wants to buy 100 primers at a time… those people haven’t been able to load for a couple of years now
I think he will come around, in fairness he dumped a lot of money getting tooled up with the press, dies, brass, calipers, etc. and was just in sticker shock and didnt want to invest in a ton of powder that may or may not work out. I think once he finishes load development he will buy more powder (and Hammers) and will be set. Hopefully sooner than later is all.....

Last edited:
I started at 15, had no mentors……just a burning desire to reload. I was always a gun/shooting nut, and had seen an uncle reloading when I was a little kid. I was totally amazed that someone could reload cartridges, and could hardly wait to start on my own! memtb

My dad taught me when I was 12 or so. I reloaded for hunting and matches until I was about 18-19, but got so busy with college, sports, my first job, and a family that I stopped. I started up again in 2022 @age 42 because I read about some guys from MT making bullets on a CNC lathe and had to try the bullets.

Well I'm thrilled to see many "young guys" have jumped into reloading. Perhaps my dimming eyes skewed my perception.
Age is really irrelevant as long as we can keep Steve and Brian in business and keep the little black boxes flowing. There is something about the whole reloading process that keeps me young. Maybe it's promise of producing a perfect load to use on another unlikely to draw sheep tag that pumps life into my old body.
Regardless, keep cranking them out boys!

Last edited:
Well I'm thrilled to see many "young guys" have jumped into reloading. Perhaps my dimming eyes skewed my perception.
Age is really irrelevant as long as we can keep Steve and Brian in business and keep the little black boxes flowing. There is something about the whole reloading process that keeps me young. Maybe it's promise of producing a perfect load to use on another unlikely to draw sheep tag that pumps life into my old body.
Regardless, keep pumping them out boys!

I don’t think that your eyes are “Lying”!

On hunting/shooting forums we are only seeing a very thin slice of today’s youth! Most have never been camping, hunting, hiking, or have even fired a firearm …..must less have any knowledge that reloading even exists!

The exception to firing a firearm would be in the “very blue inner cities” of America! 🤬 memtb

I don’t think that your eyes are “Lying”!

On hunting/shooting forums we are only seeing a very thin slice of today’s youth! Most have never been camping, hunting, hiking, or have even fired a firearm …..must less have any knowledge that reloading even exists!

The exception to firing a firearm would be in the “very blue inner cities” of America! 🤬 memtb
I remember one guy stating that per capita there are less hunters today than yesteryears. He caught some flak about that considering within the hunting industry things have grown exponentially, but when looking at the whole population increase in the country, less people are taking up hunting.

I remember one guy stating that per capita there are less hunters today than yesteryears. He caught some flak about that considering within the hunting industry things have grown exponentially, but when looking at the whole population increase in the country, less people are taking up hunting.
Maybe both are true at the same time. I read an article on themeateater about this and the general idea is less people are taking up hunting. Out east hunting leases are being sold off to vacationers instead of inherited, out west hunting camp traditions are declining... what both situations have in common is the younger kids are focusing on 4-8 years of college often in other states and just arent taking up the rural lifestyles anymore.

Ok, lots of common posts on getting others into loading. My son doesn't but in preparation I am putting together loading for dummies step by step on several levels.
  1. Entry level as basic with load manual
  2. Brass, bullet, primer, powder discussion
  3. Step by step start to finish load steps with new brass and used brass. Explaining nuances.
  4. Terminal performance
  5. General app use
Just a start but I think some time my son will NEED to reload and YouTube may not even be available

Ok, lots of common posts on getting others into loading. My son doesn't but in preparation I am putting together loading for dummies step by step on several levels.
  1. Entry level as basic with load manual
  2. Brass, bullet, primer, powder discussion
  3. Step by step start to finish load steps with new brass and used brass. Explaining nuances.
  4. Terminal performance
  5. General app use
Just a start but I think some time my son will NEED to reload and YouTube may not even be available
Plese sent me yur loding fur dummmmies. I be one of um.
I'd actually pay money for your thoughts Muddy!

Back