Rifling: Does Type Matter?

choprzrul

Hammer Time Executive member
I'm starting down the road to build a new rifle that will utilize the WTO Switchlug for 3 different barrels. So....I'm going to be buying 3 Bartlein barrels.

Given the design of the Hammer bullets, and what I perceive to be less barrel friction due to that design....does it matter what type of rifling a barrel uses?

4 groove
5R
6 groove
?

Do more grooves in a barrel equate to less drag/friction on a bullet when it travels down the bore? Is there a type or rifling that is known to work either better or worse with Hammer bullets? I figure I might as well optimize this choice up front as I plan to shoot nothing but hammers thru these barrels.

3… less friction equals more velocity.

I don’t know if that’s actually true but it sounds good.
Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong.....but wouldn't more grooves mean less material on the lands to contact the bullet?

Thoughts on the Shilen 4 groove Ratchet rifling? Will the Hammers seal on this rifling?

1691709297421.png

I don’t know anything about the subject aside from what I have here in front of me to measure. Although I did watch the above video when it came out. Can’t say I retained anything from having watched it.

I tend to agree with Mark (of M&S After Work). Had and shot many, many barrels; of all the main brands (Wilson, Hart, Shilen, Kreiger, Bartlein, Brux, plus factory, and probably some I forgot.)
For the last several years I've migrated almost entirely to cut riflle barrels of just a couple of brands.
You can get a good one or a great one. A fast one or a "slow" one in any of them. Can't tell much difference in cleaning. All (now) shoot just Hammers (except BR/varmint rifles).
Pretty much personal preference?

I tend to lean to the 5R rifling as there seems to be some validity in their claim. Mostly I prefer odd numbers as not having lands directly across from each other just seems like it HAS to have less drag. I also have very good luck with Lilja 3 groove barrels.

Regards

Back