Ruger American Custom?

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
Customers ask for the strangest things sometimes. Showed up with a Ruger American 30-06 with a blown up barrel and wanted me to build off of it. Then he showed up with the most god awful looking stock I'd ever seen. I told him I had a no ugly rifle policy but would make an exception for him :). Screwed a Bartlein 25 inch 3B contour barrel on chambered in 280 Ackley. Jard trigger, PTG bottom metal (that was a PITA to install). Blasted it and gave it a gunmetal grey cerakote finish. Topped it off with a 4-20 Athlon.

It's shooting 131 Hammer Hunters into 1/2" groups at 3300 fps.

I just had to help him out because he wanted to replace his 6.5 Creedmoor with something with better velocity ;)280 Ackley.jpg

Lent it out so we'll never know for sure. Guy claims it blew up first shot he fired. I'm pretty much convinced by the traces in the barrel he had a squib load and then chased it with another round. He left some ammo in the shellholder on the sling. All mismatched and most looked older than me :rolleyes:. Also Mike had shot it the week before with no problems. Just lucky nobody was hurt.

Broken ruger.jpg

What a mess! Hopefully he learned not to loan out his rifle to someone he doesn't know well. I have loaned out rifles, but I always send them with ammo and tell them not to use any other.

Back