Savage Impulse rifle

All my savages will shoot sub MOA. haven’t bought the impulse because I’m sure I would like the strait pull as it never shot one. I keep buying the ultralight and have no complaints. Most of my savages will shoot half MOA with my handloads.

Sorry mountainman,

No help here. I had a discussion with a guy from Iowa that was considering buying one. I looked at the design online. Simple enough but more moving parts, that need to work together, than a standard bolt. Seems to me to have a higher risk of issues.

The fella is was talking to ran the action at his location gun store. He said the action felt “clunky” and the action didn’t lock up everytime. I’m guessing it needed some polishing or just needed broke in.

He did not purchase one based off of his first impression. I’ve walked by several on the gun rack and never even worked the action to see for myself.

I don’t know anyone that owns one.

Kneedeep

Sorry mountainman,

No help here. I had a discussion with a guy from Iowa that was considering buying one. I looked at the design online. Simple enough but more moving parts, that need to work together, than a standard bolt. Seems to me to have a higher risk of issues.

The fella is was talking to ran the action at his location gun store. He said the action felt “clunky” and the action didn’t lock up everytime. I’m guessing it needed some polishing or just needed broke in.

He did not purchase one based off of his first impression. I’ve walked by several on the gun rack and never even worked the action to see for myself.

Kneedeep
Yeah, I have nothing to go by other than what I've read. Running one in the store might alleviate any strange thought I'm having :unsure:. I like the ease at which you can change barrels but seems you would be limited to whatever barrels Savage supplies.

I've considered buying one since my spouse is a lefty, and I shoot right handed. Being able to turn the bolt handle to accommodate either hand would be a nice way to have a ambidextrous rifle. Or maybe a Browning BLR/Henry Long Ranger would be better???

Last edited:
Sorry mountainman,

Kneedeep
I've seen this clunky action in reviews. Nope.

Back