Short action magnum build

Sprint1006

I have every piece but the barrel for a short action magnum build. I already own a 7 Sherman short and just can’t decide what to build next. Have considered another 7SS have thought about a 338SS and a 375 Yukon but not sure what I need either one of the bigger calibers for after watching my 7SS with the 131 grain hammer hunters drop a shyras bull moose at 367 yards. I also have a shoulder that can be a little recoil sensitive so not sure the bigger calibers would be a good idea but they sound really cool to me. Just curious what you guys would build if you had all the other pieces?

I would probably build a 325wsm if I could find a place that did a prefit barrel with a faster twist.
Lothar Walther makes 1:9.4" twist for their 8x57 drop-in Mauser 98 barrels. Sadly, custom barrels only have 1:10", but might be able to call them up and get the 1:9.4 in a 8mm blank.

I own several Shermans and love them (6.5 Sherman [=6.5/06AI], 6.5 Sherm Max, 30 Sherm Mag [300 PRC Imp], 338 Sherman [338/06 Imp].

With what you have, I'd go with the 30 Sherman. It'll give nearly RUM performance with way less powder!

(Oops, you said short action on second reading)

Build what you want and put a good break,or suppressor on to mitigate the recoil. 300 WSM!
I personally agree with Rosebud. That said, I think you need to consider what you want the gun for. Since you are talking recoil and you are already a Sherman fan, I would look seriously at the 25SST from them. A 22 Creedmoor would be a nice round as well. Get a high twist barrel and you could hunt deer with it.

All of the creedmoors are the wrong bolt face. I have considered one of the SST’s, just not sure which caliber. There are so many options. I bought the action with the intention of building the 338SS and running the 175HH, but really not sure what I need something that big for other than to have it.

I've read the nutty professor types are cloning Wooly mammoths. .338SS would work well.🤔. All joking aside, what will be the best use for the new rig? Is it ment to be the rifle you pick up when hunting for 90% of everything you hunt?

I really like my 300 WSM. I also like big calibers. I'm just going to say it. If I was sitting with your components, it would be a 375 Yukon. Hammer offers so many great bullets in 375. The old adage, "Go big or go home."

I really like my 300 WSM. I also like big calibers. I'm just going to say it. If I was sitting with your components, it would be a 375 Yukon. Hammer offers so many great bullets in 375. The old adage, "Go big or go home."
Lol…it sounds like fun and would knock down just about everything including me.

I really like the 131 grain hammer hunter in my 7SS and have also considered building a 7max to run that bullet or the 132hht in to flatten out my trajectory even more. Then I could also lower the 7SS to a 120 grainer for the small blacktails here.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm toying with the idea of a 7 Max also.
I no longer shoot competitively, but the 7 Max is making quite the show in F Class. Phenomenal accuracy/grouping!!!!!

Back