Sig Cross 308 - ABSOLUTE HAMMER 151

outdoorguyBP

New rifle, new caliber, new bullet

Ordered a 15 round test package and started doing a little work on this one yesterday. I've been reloading for years, but never have been one to load hot or to chase that upper band of velocity. I usually stay within published data from a few different sources for the bullet weight/type and find the accuracy I'm looking for. My experience with flattened primers, fire pin dimples, hard bolt lifts and those types of things are very minimal. I would say my only "measurable" gauge as been looking at primers. So....here is what I have

Sig Cross, 308 Win, 16" barrel, Sandman K using previously fired Hornady brass and CCI200 primers. Mag loading so I'm sticking close to SAMMI overall length. Shooting around 40degs @ 2,600' elevation

Started with Varget based on previous known data of mine in a different gun, 47 grains @ 2,727 and 47.5 @ 2751, the latter was slightly compressed and wasn't going to continue. Bolt lift, extraction seemed just fine, primer edges still round.

Swapped out to CFE223, worked up from 49 grains @ 2,744 to 51 grains @ 2,850. 50.5 and 51.0 were in the same hole and only a 3FPS difference. Again, bolt lift, extraction didn't seem to feel any different here. All primer edges still round, that charge of 51.0 was getting to that compressed zone so I stopped there plenty happy with velocity.

I've loaded up the balance of the bullets at 50.7 of CFE223 and will shoot for groups. Anyone with more experience with signs of overpressure chime in with advice?

Thanks in advance

You might also want to try Leverrevolution powder. It's in the same family as CFE223 and I've had great results behind the 150g Badlands Bulldozer. Was able to push that one to 2950fps with no pressure signs from a 21" barrel using Lapua brass. It does seem to be less temp stable than the Extreme Hodgon powders though so be aware.

BP

I like your approach of loading 50.7 and shooting for groups. I've got a feeling you're going to be pleasantly surprised and realize like most of us that you can have a very accurate load in 15 bullets or less.

Got to love those sample packs👍

Joe

Back