Skinny Ugly .270 Win Thread

Muddyboots

Staff member
So to honor Sir @joe16 , we need to have this thread dedicated to his favorite cartridge!

I will start it off with my first rifle I bought 1968 Savage 110C in the skinny ugly .270Win. It was a 22" barrel until I replaced with 24" SS Shaw 5 years ago. Shoots great with 130BT's, even better with 117HH's!

I saw the 156HH and felt strongly it would be exceptional in 700LA with the long magazine max COAL. So I built one with intent to add sufficient freebore based on the magazine COAL with fast twist to accommodate the 156HH. A 700LA action trued by Mark Penrod, Penrod Precision, Triggertech trigger, 27" SS Preferred Barrel as a Remage build, 1:8tw, 0.290 freebore, 5R with 0.010 jump built in for the 156HH and be 3.63 COAL to fit the 3.67" max magazine COAL. Feeds great. The 156HH coupled with RL26 pixie dust maxed out at ~3300 with final load at 3200. Accuracy terrific at 1/2 MOA. Killed my biggest WT buck 161 7/8 first hunting season with it in 2021.

Just ordered the 160HHT to gain the terminal performance being raved about. Will see what performance will be with RL26!

Skinny ugly works just fine🤣!

IMG_4233.jpegIMG_5980.jpeg

The rifleman's rifle. How about some pictures of that 270 Muddy?

Bought my first one when I was 15 because Jack O'Conner told me to. Got talked out of it 30 years ago and never had another until I bought this one 5 years ago from some guy at the range. Said it wouldn't shoot, it kicked too hard and he needed the money. I gave him a $100 bill for it. It's a Mossberg ATR (I think you can still buy them for $300). I threw away the tupperware stock and the trigger. Loaded some 110 barnes and shot 1/4" groups with it. I forget what the velocity was but it was around warp 7. Going to resurrect it with some 100 grain Hammers. Always thought about going the switch barrel route and might just do it with this one some day.

Bada$$ still for an almost 100 year old cartridge.

Regards

270.jpg

So would y'all say that this should be listed as America's first Creedmoor class of cartridges??? The ones that just kill because you point them at them.

What a Dick hea*🤣🤣

The softer muddys skin gets, the harder I bite🤣🤣

If you give me that Target camera I will quit picking on you. Just saying.

It all seriously it's a cartridge that's earned its just do and it established its place in Americana. I just pick hard enough to make sure that people can defend it. Call me a dick head.

Joe

Cartridge debates are the best form of insults!! Nah, the new and improved skinny ugly is what I feed on! Plus its fun poking back at the Rum fellas! Shhh, I love my Sendero 300WM!

You know, many years ago on guided hunt Lemon Reservoir Missionary Ridge by Bayfield, CO had guy in camp said same thing about same load with 140BT at breakfast. I snorted coffee out nose laughing so hard and boy did he get pissed off at me.!😱😂 I politely begged to differ and asked if he had chronograph? No of course not. It was his Expert Opinion experience estimation based on muzzle blast from 22" barrel. This is no joke! We did not exchange addresses at end of hunt. I wished you were there to observe the 🐂💩 that followed! It was freaking Epic! Of course it was an ongoing topic until outfitter politely asked to table it. It was so ridiculous the statements that followed. Guess nobody ever called his bluff. Oopsies! My bad!

BTW I was hunting with Sendero 300WM 200AB. 🤣

Muddy

I've got a couple serious questions three or four years ago I was looking into the JDJ 270 series chambers that he had taking full advantage of the case capacity capabilities of the 270 did you consider that when you were doing your Thor's thingy?

You know, many years ago on guided hunt Lemon Reservoir Missionary Ridge by Bayfield, CO had guy in camp said same thing about same load with 140BT at breakfast. I snorted coffee out nose laughing so hard and boy did he get pissed off at me.!😱😂 I politely begged to differ and asked if he had chronograph? No of course not. It was his Expert Opinion experience estimation based on muzzle blast from 22" barrel. This is no joke! We did not exchange addresses at end of hunt. I wished you were there to observe the 🐂💩 that followed! It was freaking Epic! Of course it was an ongoing topic until outfitter politely asked to table it. It was so ridiculous the statements that followed. Guess nobody ever called his bluff. Oopsies! My bad!

BTW I was hunting with Sendero 300WM 200AB. 🤣
I would have ate him alive🤣🤣🤣

Wow. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time thank you seriously thank you.

Had a guy try to do the same thing with a 30 JDJ which is simply a 444 necked down to 30 caliber. He never brought his toys back to the range🤣🤣

Back